Buying Cameras from China Shipping / Trade Terms

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello there!

Currently arranging the purchase of some cameras from China - was wondering how much attention to pay to Trade Terms (also known as "Incoterms 2010").

Seller wants to send by FedEx as "FOB" (Free On Board) which really only applies to Sea or Inland Waterway Transport and means the sellers risk ends totally the moment they hand the parcel to FedEx.

Originally I suggested "DDP" (Delivered Duty Paid) which applies to any mode of transport and makes the seller liable/responsible until the item arrives at my front door and I sign for it.

Incoterms - Wikipedia Explains detail and other Shipping terms.

So now have asked seller to fully insure the cameras value by paying for FedEx additional carriage insurance cover then I could accept "FOB" terms.

How much attention do you guys pay to Trade Terms when you buy from Alibaba / AliExpress etc.?

What happens about import duties and taxes - have you all paid taxes when your cameras arrived?

It would have been nice if it had gone through "DDP" as it means the seller pays for everything and is responsible until delivery.

But "FOB" means that FedEx could massacre or lose the package and the seller is not responsible because the goods are my property the moment the seller gives to FedEx.

While rare with FedEx once I did have a very strange experience with a FedEx driver on my doorstep - but never saw him again before or since - think how many different sets of hands the FedEx parcel will go through between China and the UK!

What have been your experiences with all this and taxes?

What do you think?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently arranging the purchase of some cameras from China
Via Aliexpress?
If so, check out the buyer protection policies.
The payment is held in escrow until the buyer acknowledges delivery.
If no delivery, a dispute process can be invoked.
I've used this a couple of times with a full refund in just a few days.
- a seller claimed shipment then closed the shop, said he left to get married, so evidence in the messages.
- a package arrived in the UK, gets relabelled for local delivery, local postal service says address illegible and returns the item to the distribution centre, so evidence in the tracking detail.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use Empire Technology or BEC Technology on Ali, and you'll have no issues.
They know the best way to ship.
Don't over think it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello there!

Currently arranging the purchase of some cameras from China - was wondering how much attention to pay to Trade Terms (also known as "Incoterms 2010").

Seller wants to send by FedEx as "FOB" (Free On Board) which really only applies to Sea or Inland Waterway Transport and means the sellers risk ends totally the moment they hand the parcel to FedEx.

Originally I suggested "DDP" (Delivered Duty Paid) which applies to any mode of transport and makes the seller liable/responsible until the item arrives at my front door and I sign for it.

Incoterms - Wikipedia Explains detail and other Shipping terms.

So now have asked seller to fully insure the cameras value by paying for FedEx additional carriage insurance cover then I could accept "FOB" terms.

How much attention do you guys pay to Trade Terms when you buy from Alibaba / AliExpress etc.?

What happens about import duties and taxes - have you all paid taxes when your cameras arrived?

It would have been nice if it had gone through "DDP" as it means the seller pays for everything and is responsible until delivery.

But "FOB" means that FedEx could massacre or lose the package and the seller is not responsible because the goods are my property the moment the seller gives to FedEx.

While rare with FedEx once I did have a very strange experience with a FedEx driver on my doorstep - but never saw him again before or since - think how many different sets of hands the FedEx parcel will go through between China and the UK!

What have been your experiences with all this and taxes?

What do you think?
Welcome Panopticon,

Agree with Looneyns, a number of us have made purchases and have had little worries for the smaller shipments from reputable vendors who know this process far better than us. ( example Andy of Empire Technology / BEC knows this process well and is able to ship to us in a reliable and cost effective manner to US, EU, Au,.. ).

Do double check the reputation of the vendor you plan to use, you can check some of them here - as well as the payment method - do not wire funds, use a method which gives you some protections ( paypal, alipay... )