Build an affordable P.A. system for my driveway?

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Uncheck the re-encode box.

The output should be as good as the view in BI. Maybe try AVI output.

On another thought. Have you considered trying to get a restraining order against this guy?
+1

In my state. it's called an "Injunction Against Harassment", but the idea is the same as a Restraining Order. Your videos played in front of a judge should result in a Temporary Order. Then if he contests it, you present your case to make the Order permanent. You have a strong case. I expect you will easily get the Order. Once you have the Order, if he violates it again, he will be charged criminally.

Reaction score
The output should be as good as the view in BI. Maybe try AVI output.
On another thought. Have you considered trying to get a restraining order against this guy?
"Uncheck the re-encode box." Ahhh, will do, thanks for that.

Restraining order: my understanding at this point by talking to several people (retired cop/uncle, P.I. reading online, etc) is that a judge is very unlikely to grant a restraining order based on this behavior. He hasn't committed a crime other than littering, and he's made no threats or committed no violence against me yet. Let's see what the investigator says tomorrow, I have my first meeting with him. His advice is to get a lawyer involved too, so I have counsel and a better chance at getting the restraining order issued.

Last night, he drove by northbound (about 5-10 mph) at about 4 AM, then rolled back by southbound about 5 minutes later at about 5 mph, then stopped next to my Toyota truck for a couple seconds. I'm pretty sure he's planning something or working up the nerve to do something.

Reaction score
+1
In my state. it's called an "Injunction Against Harassment", but the idea is the same as a Restraining Order. Your videos played in front of a judge should result in a Temporary Order. Then if he contests it, you present your case to make the Order permanent. You have a strong case. I expect you will easily get the Order. Once you have the Order, if he violates it again, he will be charged criminally.
See above post, we'll see what happens tomorrow. Thanks.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Make sure you keep multiple copies of your footage of this guy on seperate places, take a usb hdd to your workplace and store it there for example.

Reaction score
next time he slowly passes your house, call 911 and sound really scared. "someone has been casing my house to kill me! or to kidnap my children!! I think it's the same person who is molesting those kids down the street or selling PCP crack to those teenagers on the playground" something drastic. that will get a police report going and probably a patrol car out to see what's up.

Reaction score
I just got back from my first meeting with the P.I. He's confident that as long as the guy's name isn't "John Smith" or such, he should be able to pinpoint his address (again, CA won't release addresses, just names, then a skip-trace must be performed). We'll take it from there.

He also said that everything this bitch is doing in front of my house is public info, so I'll be crafting up s'more videos to post here (Mmmmmm, s'mores :love: ).

Edit: Oh, what else he said: get ready for shit to get worse, there's a movement in law enforcement to NOT prosecute any of these low-level offenses, including burglary, car break-ins, etc., due to a lack of resources and - legally speaking - a lack of laws/accountability to prosecute. Anymore now, all the perp has to say is "I had to do it to feed myself," and BAMM! Off the hook! He's got the inside scoop with law enforcement, he would know (and the evidence around this shithole of a state fully supports his claim).

Reaction score
Okay guys, a little update...

The private investigator I hired has tracked down this piece of shit, best money I've ever spent. I talked to an attorney two days ago and I'm planning my next move. For legal reasons and other reasons related to effectiveness of my plans, I cannot go into further detail.

But now that I'm getting ready to take action, I'm compiling the videos and here's another one for your viewing pleasure. I won't be posting them in chronological order, and may not post all of them, but you can see my video-making skills are improving. This one is from March 19th, he's hurling his kitchen garbage bag out at my driveway, followed by a McDonald's cup with his unwanted burger condiments discarded in it. This is in real-time, only slowed down the LPR phase.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Reaction score
Ahhh, I learned something: if I uncheck the re-encode box, I lose the option to have the BI time/date/cam descriptions overlaid, that option becomes grayed out. So, I've re-enabled the Dahua overlays and turned off the BI overlays, I tried some new clips with re-encode unchecked, and didn't notice any improvement. I just did this moments ago when it dawned on me. I think I'll turn the BI overlays back on since they look better. I tried WMV and AVI, and like the BI Help File suggests, "those formats may be problematic," and sure enough, BI wouldn't produce them.

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
:rofl: Mr. Microphone, yes, a classic! Thanks for the leads. Garage is attached, so no buried cable. I do need a mic of some sort.
Did you see the member who posted the bear spray video? He made a comment in that video that is quote-worthy: "GET THE FUCK OFF MY PRAAAHPERTY!!!" It's a classic. I may be misguided, but I'm thinking I can utlize those driveway motion detector alarms and then go to the console to observe activity and yell deterring comments over the P.A.

See, I have a stalker who's been harassing me since November, and this past weekend he's escalated to driving past my driveway and throwing his Jack in the Box trash in my driveway in the middle of the night. He's apparently so stupid that he doesn't realize I have everything on video, including his plates, from nearly every drive-by since November. And the fuckin cops don't want to hear shit about it until he commits a crime...I'm afraid his next escalation may be vandalism to one of my cars or worse, set my house ablaze. Who knows what the fuck makes assholes like this tick? So until I can nail the asshole committing a crime, I'm apparently supposed to keep picking up his litter (which he did two nights in a row now) and wondering which nights he's going to troll by to get his jollies and be on edge wondering how far he's going to take this.
Pretty sure that stalking and harassment is a crime...but then you are talking about Kalifornia. From the news stories it looks to be a free-for-all out there....laws are only for law abiding citizens apparently. So sorry to hear about you situation....hopefully, they nail his arse.

Reaction score
Pretty sure that stalking and harassment is a crime...but then you are talking about Kalifornia. From the news stories it looks to be a free-for-all out there....laws are only for law abiding citizens apparently. So sorry to hear about you situation....hopefully, they nail his arse.
Thank you, thank you. Your response is somewhat timely; yesterday marked one week since I finally formally filed a report at the SJPD, and to my surprise, they did file it (at least for the time being) under Penal Code 646 (Stalking). I am hoping to hear from a detective soon, the officer taking my report said they're quite backed up, but the detective will probably call me in for an interview and to collect the breadth of my evidence, or, turn it over to the D.A. I suspect they'll interview me first (fingers crossed).

In related news, the douche bag made another drive-by at 4:30 this past Saturday morning and tossed another blue surgical-style face mask out the window in front of my driveway. He thinks he's so funny and clever, he doesn't realize that he's helping me by keeping the evidence flow fresh.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Edit: Oh, what else he said: get ready for shit to get worse, there's a movement in law enforcement to NOT prosecute any of these low-level offenses, including burglary, car break-ins, etc., due to a lack of resources and - legally speaking - a lack of laws/accountability to prosecute. Anymore now, all the perp has to say is "I had to do it to feed myself," and BAMM! Off the hook! He's got the inside scoop with law enforcement, he would know (and the evidence around this shithole of a state fully supports his claim).
I'd like to be able to say that it's limited to California - because California does tend to be on the cutting edge of "social policies" like this one. Unfortunately, this type of social experiment is getting traction everywhere. The police are being branded as the bad guys and their funding is being cut. We are moving away from a society of laws to a society of "feelings" (ie "You can't tell me what to do because I feel "X"). Something has to give and it's the "low level", "non violent" crime that gets ignored first. I fear that in 10 years, things will be much worse than they are today.