Bricked DS-7608NI-I2 NVR (Firmware Skipped)

Fenatech

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was searching and trying to find a confirmation or a solution to my problem but did not see the same situations posted so I figured I would ask for help here.

I was just bringing back online for the first time in a long while due to serious issues with construction delays a DS-7608NI-I2 NVR. I started out by updating the firmware (looking to bring it up to version 4.6) and I was doing so incrementally as is required(several versions behind). All was going well until, at some point I was distracted and not paying attention and accidentally missed a version prior to my installing the most recent 4.6 version.

Upon the NVR rebooting the username drop down field is loaded with numerous random text and special characters entries. The unit is now no longer under warranty having just reached its 2 or 3 year mark since purchase. I was informed that the unit is bricked and now needs to be replaced. Is this accurate? Is there anyway to fix this?

I thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was informed that the unit is bricked and now needs to be replaced.
That's incorrect.
The problem can be fixed by a configuration reset to defaults, which will wipe the configuration data and re-populate it with default values, removing the mixed up data caused by the firmware jump.
There have been quite a few users with the same problem.

There are several approaches - probably the easiest is to use the tftp update method.
But you need to use the non-Hikvision version of the updater due to its filesize limitation.
Example here :

The next, and quite easy, option would be to hook up to the device serial console and do the firmware update via the startup menu.
To do this you'd need a serial TTL to USB convertor such as a PL2303TA-based device.
And a wired 4-pin 1.5mm ZH JST connector, usually sold in 10-packs.
Both of which are widely available at low cost.

Fenatech

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply.

I will start by trying the TFTP update method as that seems to not require me to pickup any additional materials. If I am unable to do so that way then I will look to pick up the other items you mentioned and referenced.

Thank you again and I will be sure to report back how I make out.

Last edited:

Fenatech

n3wb
Reaction score
I apologize for asking as it seems very straight forward for so many but I am unsure about the actual setup.

I have my NVR connected to my network and I also connected my laptop via ethernet. I have my ethernet adapter configured to the default server address of 192.0.0.128. I also have the 4.6 version of the firmware downloaded and extracted into its own folder.

I copied the hikvision_tftpd.py script and placed it into the same folder as the 4.6 firmware (digicap.dav) file. I downloaded and installed the latest version of Python 3.10.

When attempting to run the script to start the server, I am getting the following "SyntaxError message, multiple exception types must be parenthesized".

I am new to using python and TFTP and am not sure what I may have done wrong in this process.

Thank you

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I apologize for asking as it seems very straight forward for so many but I am unsure about the actual setup.
No need to - one of the reasons for this forum is for people to ask things and for people to maybe respond and for the sharing to help others.
What you've described on the setup seems OK.
However - Scott Lamb's program is written in the Python2 version of Python.
So you'll need to install python2 if it's not there already, and run the program with :

python2 hikvision_tftpd.py --filename digicap.dav --server-ip 192.0.0.128

Fenatech

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much. Downloading Python 2 now and will give it a try.

Fenatech

n3wb
Reaction score
I downloaded and installed the latest version of Python2 (2.7.18).

Unlike Python3 it did not provide the option to add it to the Path, so I was not 100% sure on how to enter the command line as you described.

So, I went to the folder where I had the 4.6 firmware "digicap.dav" file and the "hikvision_tftpd.py" file. I right clicked on the hikvision_tftpd.py file and chose to edit it with IDLE.

From there I was able to "Run the Module (F5)". I then powered on the NVR and saw the script running and indicating its overall progress with pound signs.

The script ended with the following and I heard a single beep from the NVR a few moments later.

"
03/21/22 07:41:00: 41851 / 41851 [###################################################]
03/21/22 07:41:00: done!
Setting block size to 512
Serving 61436796-byte digicap.dav (block size 512, 119994 blocks)
| (<--- cursor blinking here)
"

At this point I would gather that the firmware update has completed successfully and it is now okay for me to exit Python ?
I do see the screen on the NVR to set the preferred language.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds promising, well done for getting this far.

Close the Python script and check out the NVR.
It should be in the same state as if it was new, setting up address, configuring cameras etc. Best to use the same password as before, so the cameras should reconnect.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to report back that the issue has been completely resolved.
Excellent!
Well done for getting there.

Thank you very much for your help and sharing your knowledge with this matter. I am grateful.
You are welcome, glad to help!
That's what this forum is good at.

I was informed that the unit is bricked and now needs to be replaced. Is this accurate? Is there anyway to fix this?
Always good to improve on what the 'support people' know ...