Bottleneck with 5th camera

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have 4 cameras running in Blue Iris without even a hiccup.
3 of them are 2 Megapixel, 1 is an 8 Megapixel.

I am running these as a hobby only to watch the wildlife here and keep them off the internet.
I view all of them simultaneously in Blue Iris live on my 65" LG TV in 2K resolution.
I use Main stream only and refuse to use Sub stream, because I don't care for the resulting degraded live view.
My CPU percentage never exceeds 5% and mostly hovers around 1%.
Ii only exceeds 1% when all cameras are recording live motion. ( Lots of wild turkeys)
Longest POE cable is 135 foot.

My Blue Iris Status page among other data, usually shows FPS/key data, with only minor changes occurring during motion activity.

Name------------------------------------FPS/key
  1. My camera 1(Cam1) (2Mp) -----25.20/0.50
  2. My camera 2(Cam2) (2Mp) -----25.20/0.50
  3. My camera 3(Cam3) (2Mp) -----25.20/0.50
  4. My camera 4(Cam4) (8Mp) -----15.02/0.30
My number 4 camera above has the most amazing crisp picture and is my favorite.
Unfortunately, every time I try to add a 5th camera, it starts losing key frames at random times, then recovers and so on.
Within 1 hour, I average around 70 connection losses during daytime, and 5 to 8 during night time.
This is probably due to more motion during daytime.

I have tried 8Mp cams and also 5Mp cams.
Now I ordered another 2Mp, this time from Andy.

I thought I've built a pretty powerful system (12 care AMD processor).
I do not want to run an NVR and have no room for it, in case you intend to recommend that.

It seems obvious that my system has a bottleneck.
I have 2 NIC cards installed, 2.5 Gig and 1 Gig, currently using the 2.5 Gig only.
I also have 4 Samsung SSD drives.

Where is the bottleneck?
What can I do to accommodate a 5th camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 4 cameras running in Blue Iris without even a hiccup.
3 of them are 2 Megapixel, 1 is an 8 Megapixel.

I am running these as a hobby only to watch the wildlife here and keep them off the internet.
I view all of them simultaneously in Blue Iris live on my 65" LG TV in 2K resolution.
I use Main stream only and refuse to use Sub stream, because I don't care for the resulting degraded live view.
My CPU percentage never exceeds 5% and mostly hovers around 1%.
Ii only exceeds 1% when all cameras are recording live motion. ( Lots of wild turkeys)
Longest POE cable is 135 foot.

My Blue Iris Status page among other data, usually shows FPS/key data, with only minor changes occurring during motion activity.

Name------------------------------------FPS/key
  1. My camera 1(Cam1) (2Mp) -----25.20/0.50
  2. My camera 2(Cam2) (2Mp) -----25.20/0.50
  3. My camera 3(Cam3) (2Mp) -----25.20/0.50
  4. My camera 4(Cam4) (8Mp) -----15.02/0.30
My number 4 camera above has the most amazing crisp picture and is my favorite.
Unfortunately, every time I try to add a 5th camera, it starts losing key frames at random times, then recovers and so on.
Within 1 hour, I average around 70 connection losses during daytime, and 5 to 8 during night time.
This is probably due to more motion during daytime.

I have tried 8Mp cams and also 5Mp cams.
Now I ordered another 2Mp, this time from Andy.

I thought I've built a pretty powerful system (12 care AMD processor).
I do not want to run an NVR and have no room for it, in case you intend to recommend that.

It seems obvious that my system has a bottleneck.
I have 2 NIC cards installed, 2.5 Gig and 1 Gig, currently using the 2.5 Gig only.
I also have 4 Samsung SSD drives.

Where is the bottleneck?
What can I do to accommodate a 5th camera?
without a network diagram and more details its anyones guess.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
10 100 1000

The reason for the 2 routers are so that if one port goes bad, I have enough open ones.
It is also space saving.
Since one of the switches has only 4 POE ports, it would not be enough for camera 5. if it is the only switch.
The other switch has 8 POE ports.
All POE ports have 30 watts POE each

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should have your cameras going to one NIC and the internet on the other NIC on the BI computer.

What is the LAN IP address? Is it 192.168.0.X?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is nothing inherent in the setup that would cause this problem. What brand are the switches? for kicks try the other network card in the pc. You have a very low load.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
TP-Link TL-SG1008P V4 | 8 Port Gigabit PoE Switch | 4 PoE+ Ports @64W | Desktop | Plug & Play | Sturdy Metal w/ Shielded Ports | Fanless | Limited Lifetime Protection | QoS & IGMP Snooping | Unmanaged

Aumox 8 Port Gigabit PoE Switch, 8 Port PoE 120W, Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Network Switch, Plug and Play, Sturdy Metal Housing, Traffic Optimization

Graphics vard is
ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5500XT Overclocked O8G GDDR6 Dual Fan EVO Edition HDMI DisplayPort Gaming Graphics Card (DUAL-RX5500XT-O8G-EVO)

Last edited:

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You should have your cameras going to one NIC and the internet on the other NIC on the BI computer.

What is the LAN IP address? Is it 192.168.0.X?
YES

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just because your ports are rated at 30watts each doesn't mean it can provide that to each camera.

Let's look at your TP-Link - 4 ports with a power budget of 64watts, which means 64/4 = 16 watts available per channel if every channel is used. Now if one of the ports is using more than 16 watts, then the remaining left for the others is less.

And then if you have two NICs in your BI computer, you should use them. Having your internet and cameras on the same IP address subnet in some situations could mean the camera feeds are trying to go thru the router and it can't handle it, or your cameras are phoning China and clogging up your network.

You should have your cameras on one IP address subnet and the rest of your devices on another IP address subnet. Notice in this example, the 3rd set of numbers are different.

1669348567114.png

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Aumox switch is what I had all cameras on and all worked fine.
Thinking it might be a problem, I bought the TP-link and put all 4 remaining cameras on it.

I have previously also disabled all of these 4 remaining cameras and tried the 5th camera as the only camera on the T-Link as well as the Aumox. Since I had the same problem I mentioned above and since it happened with each of 6 different cameras 8Mp as well as 5Mp cameras, I figured the bottleneck is not the switches.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just because your ports are rated at 30watts each doesn't mean it can provide that to each camera.

Let's look at your TP-Link - 4 ports with a power budget of 64watts, which means 64/4 = 16 watts available per channel if every channel is used. Now if one of the ports is using more than 16 watts, then the remaining left for the others is less.

And then if you have two NICs in your BI computer, you should use them. Having your internet and cameras on the same IP address subnet in some situations could mean the camera feeds are trying to go thru the router and it can't handle it, or your cameras are phoning China and clogging up your network.

You should have your cameras on one IP address subnet and the rest of your devices on another IP address subnet. Notice in this example, the 3rd set of numbers are different.

View attachment 146576
Two network cards and different subnets are not required and the lack thereof is not causing this issue. There is an underlying problem that needs to be resolved before making these network changes.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do not have an ISP provided router my router is an AX-1800.
As far as changing the cameras away from 192.168.0.xxx is concerned, yes, I would like to do that, but I have no browser anymore that will let me get into any one of my cams.
I get an error message saying that i am trying to get into private network. It used to work on Chrome, but no more.
I have tried many browsers, IE which when starting, reverts to Bing or another browser, Pale Moon no longer works either.

Please, someone how can I change my 3 rebranded dahua cameras' IP?
My other ANPVIZ camera is no problem I can use SADP. The Dahua config does no longer work for me and I was advised by others not to use it because it causes problems.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not have an ISP provided router my router is an AX-1800.
As far as changing the cameras away from 192.168.0.xxx is concerned, yes, I would like to do that, but I have no browser anymore that will let me get into any one of my cams.
I get an error message saying that i am trying to get into private network. It used to work on Chrome, but no more.
I have tried many browsers, IE which when starting, reverts to Bing or another browser, Pale Moon no longer works either.

Please, someone how can I change my 3 rebranded dahua cameras' IP?
My other ANPVIZ camera is no problem I can use SADP. The Dahua config does no longer work for me and I was advised by others not to use it because it causes problems.
Changing your ip address will not solve your problem. You have an underlying issue. If you dont want to reply to the pertinent questions and simply want to waste your time and go in circles, feel free.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi fenderman, I remember you from 2014, when many of us were on a Germany hosted IP forum.

Do you think that the problem could be my Samsung SSD?
Is there a disk testing program I should try?