Bobcat fell into pool

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't really want a pool when we got the house 3 years ago, but I figured I could deal with it.

I tried maintaining it myself, but I soon realized that brushing a pool a few times a week in the middle of summer, paired with buying and storing harmful chemicals in my garage, ruining my clothes with chlorine, almost gassing myself a few times and dealing with the chlorine shortages a few years back, was all too much of a hassle. So I paid a company $130/mo to keep it clean

We replaced the pool pump and filter ourselves, because all pool guys around here charge $300+ to do some basic PVC plumbing... We soon realized the racket that is the entire pool industry. All of the pool companies void your warranty if not installed by a "lIcEnCeD PoOl pUmP InStAlLeR" which comes around and does 10 mins of work with some PVC pipes and leaves. We got one from InyoPools which WILL warranty anything regardless of who installs it

Well, yet again the pool racket got me. The Century controller on top of the pool pump IS NOT WATERPROOF. So eventually water got in and would make the controller act funny, so I contacted them for warranty work. They then told me to take the pool pump apart, and send them the entire pump motor on my dime, and "In 3 to 4 weeks" they will send another. So I'm out a ton of shipping, no pump for a month and then the icing on the cake is that they don't provide replacements for the one-time-use seals!

Not wanting to go through that hassle I decided to just stick with it. Eventually the pump started to leak, so I replaced all the seals which all have "DO NOT USE WITH CHLORINATED WATER" on the packaging. Yes, Pool Pump seals. For a swimming pool. A swimming pool with chlorinated water. Yep you read all that right

Three seal packs later, still leaks and gets worse. Last week it got to the point where I had to dig a moat around my pool pump to stop it flooding the place. A new pool pump is $1000~, paying my pool guys for the year is $1000~, so I'm out over $2000 and I have a junk pool again! Woohoo!

It needed to be replastered, and the plumbing needed repairs, and the concrete around it would need to be replaced. It would end up at least being a $30K job, for a pool I never use.

Wish I had done this from the start! now I'll pay less home insurance, use less electric, use less water and gain a ton more room in my yard

Does anyone know if I can create a timelapse using regular video footage? I have all the demo on camera, but I want to make a time lapse of it

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Saw the the title and expected to see an actual animal falling into your pool :).

Friends of mine bought a house with a pool (pretty much new) and he went with a salt water pool. Not as much work as a chlorine, but still have to keep it clean, maintain/repair pump and ensure heater is working for spring and autumn to get the most use out of it. He does triathlons, so he uses it to keep in shape.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
@IReallyLikePizza2 what did it cost to remove it all?
$11,800 for a full permitted removal. That means all the concrete is removed, and the fill dirt is compacted to some specification each number of layers, and when you're done its like nothing was there. Don't have to disclose it when you sell the house, and you can build on it

A lot of people either just fill it, or do a partial removal where they remove some of the top, bust holes in it and fill. Both you can't build over and you have to disclose

Its a lot of money, but that $2K I'd have to spend to get literally nothing seemed like even more of a waste! It will pay for itself eventually in electric and cleaning costs etc

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
$11,800 for a full permitted removal. That means all the concrete is removed, and the fill dirt is compacted to some specification each number of layers, and when you're done its like nothing was there. Don't have to disclose it when you sell the house, and you can build on it

A lot of people either just fill it, or do a partial removal where they remove some of the top, bust holes in it and fill. Both you can't build over and you have to disclose

Its a lot of money, but that $2K I'd have to spend to get literally nothing seemed like even more of a waste! It will pay for itself eventually in electric and cleaning costs etc
Pretty reasonable.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a pool very much the same shape that I would like to get rid of. I'm really debating whether to remove it, or have it repaired. The coping needs to be replaced, the concrete surround needs to be replaced, the tile around the top edge needs to be replaced, the plaster needs to be replaced, the filter needs to be replaced, . . . eesh. All that for a big hole in the ground that we pour money into. The biggest question is just how much more will it cost to remove as opposed to repair. The biggest problem with removal is access. No way to get a bobcat in there. I'm screwed either way.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What the reason they can't get a bobcat in there? I had 3-4 companies tell me they couldn't. This place took one look and said no problem
One side of the house has a 36" gate to get through, and then navigate around the air conditioning condenser and retaining wall. There is also the large Ash tree in the front yard to navigate around, but that is doable. The other side of the house has a steel car port/storage shed that has steel rails running on the concrete the length of it. Then a small space between the house and the pool filter equipment. I suppose I could work something out for this side, but I would have to find somewhere to put my boat (22'), my daughters tent camper, a car (with shot main bearings in the engine), and assorted junk. Then build some sort of ramp system to get over the steel rails without damaging them.