blueirissoftware.com website down (2023.07.07)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
On the virus front, some larger companies such as Kaspersky allow you to upload a folder for manual analysis by their techs. This is better still than a web check. One sure way to confirm. That said, apart from Eset-NOD32, I haven't heard of any of the other AV vendors which is a good pointer it's their software to blame and not BI.

It's highly unlikely a respected company such as Ken's would include anything malicious in their software as they have far more to lose reputationally than they have to gain. Pretty much the only way it could happen would be if the download server was hacked and files altered and you would like to think that server security measures would detect an intrusion if not stop it so at least the vendor would be aware of potential compromise and upon finding that, any vendor worth their salt would probably do a check sum comparison before putting the server back online.

As for the IP's, ensure your server is secured and not port forwarding. Personally, I use a lower level commercial level modem and a separate higher level consumer router to secure mine. Each device has it's own firewall, so I have an enterprise firewall on the outside and a high end consumer one on the inside. Add to it secure passwords, PNP turned off, and an active VPN, and it's highly unlikely I'll suffer an intrusion. I tried to run some ASUS Router software earlier and even though I was on my internal network, the router said no and the software warned that it might not function due a vpn being operational. Quite reassuring.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 2 installations and normally only use UI3. One of them went into Evaluation mode this morning. I re-entered keys (which seems risky since the license server was apparently hacked, so re-entering keys could just be giving the hacker your keys.)

I've permanently blocked all network access to blue iris other than the UI3 port....

A one man show like Blue Iris should not have a dead man switch that disables all of the software his customers purchased if he gets hit by a car. Trust has been broken and I'm not sure where we go from here. Maybe he could regain our trust by putting the source code or a crack in escrow to be released if the license servers go down....
You know I have to agree with you a bit on this....
While I'm currently not affected by this issue (yet) this incident does raise some concerns.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A one man show like Blue Iris should not have a dead man switch that disables all of the software his customers purchased if he gets hit by a car. Trust has been broken and I'm not sure where we go from here. Maybe he could regain our trust by putting the source code or a crack in escrow to be released if the license servers go down....
I do agree, there should be a plan in place, but there almost certainly is not one (I mean, clearly, there was not even a good backup system in place for the web site / licensing service!!).

While this current situation sucks and exposes a very unfortunate flaw in the current DRM system, I would not worry about it too much long term. Their latest facebook post says they will take steps to ensure the licensing issue does not happen again in the future. Whether this means the software will be more tolerant of licensing service failures, or if it means the licensing service will be more robust, I could not even guess.

Here's the full text of their post:

Hello, Jennifer from Blue Iris here!

We experienced a hardware failure, which resulted in our server going down, and when it came back up, this is what caused the loss of activation. The software pings our server for updates, license validation, etc., so this is why so many of you were affected by this. Rest assured that our developer is making sure that this will NOT happen again in the future.

THE SOLUTION:

Make sure you have a copy of your license, and your most recent maintenance key, and you will likely need to register your software again. First with your license, then with your maintenance key (enter maintenance key behind Upgrade/Renew button)
If you do not have either of those, PLEASE email support@blueirissoftware.com, and I will do what I can to find them.

That being said, this issue is currently preventing me from finding most license keys at the moment until things are back in order. I can add your email address to my list, and reach out to you personally once I am able to search deeper for your license.

We do not have an exact ETA for everything, but we are hoping to have it all in order by this evening (Eastern time zone) at the latest.
If you have further questions, or continue having an issue, EMAIL the support email address (support@blueirissoftware.com), and put in a request.

I certainly do apologize that this has caused such chaos for so many though, and I do appreciate the patience from each one of you while we work this out. So thank you for continuing to hang in there.
That said, if Perspective Software were to ever vanish and leave everyone unsupported, I do not think it would take too long for the community to find and share a "crack". Any search engine can find loads of sites claiming to offer cracked versions of Blue Iris (or practically any other popular software). However you'd be a fool to try one of those today because it is a near certainty that most of them are fake and just attempting to get you to run ransomware or something worse.

DICKNLA

n3wb
Reaction score
Simply re-applying my most recent renewal key has sorted out my BI demo mode, I didn't need to restore from backup or anything else, did mine this morning ~6 hours ago, and it's still ok now.

View attachment 167281
Same here, it works great now. just reentered the latest renewal code. and all is well. i am now saving my renewal codes in my technical spreadsheet.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, I actually built the Blue Iris Software website. Their hard drive crashed and we lost the site, but I am currently rebuilding it as we speak. In the meantime, you can download the software here - Blue Iris Software Updates

No one needs to worry about losing keys, they did not lose those. The worst that will happen is your software will go into evaluation mode and you may have to re-enter the key or request support resets it for you. Blue Iris has also evolved past a 1-man show, there are things in place to ensure their customers are never left in the dark. This was a freak thing that affected the backups as well. We will be creating an off-site backup system as well.

No one needs to worry, Ken and I are on it and Ken is not going anywhere! He cares about his customers and his software, he's one of the nicest guys I know.

I will post an update when I have one

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I take it he hosts this himself and isn't done in the cloud?

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm trying to use the BI app on my iphone and it wont connect. IP addresses are all correct and i disabled "lookup at login". I tried to refresh IP on my PC from within BI software and it just says "trouble retrieving IP Address".

Is this all related to the BI server problems?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Were you ever able to access BI server from phone, or is this a new install?

Is your phone connected to your home LAN while attempting to access the BI server?

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Were you ever able to access BI server from phone, or is this a new install?

Is your phone connected to your home LAN while attempting to access the BI server?
yeahI’ve been using it on my phone for years. Right now I’m away from home LAN. but usually as long as the IP is correct it will connect. All the ports are open and correct. I’m just trying to figure out what all is going on with the blue iris outtage and if it’s related.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
yeahI’ve been using it on my phone for years. Right now I’m away from home LAN. but usually as long as the IP is correct it will connect. All the ports are open and correct. I’m just trying to figure out what all is going on with the blue iris outtage and if it’s related.
If you are away from home, and your are port forwarding, you are accessing via the WAN.

Any means to have someone check if your BI server is up, and accessible from a mobile device while on the home network (LAN)?

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are away from home, and your are port forwarding, you are accessing via the WAN.

Any means to have someone check if your BI server is up, and accessible from a mobile device while on the home network (LAN)?
Yeah I’m looking at my desktop right now from team viewer. Very odd. I’ll try remotely restarting and seeing if it helps.

perfect777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Adding to this thread. I tried using my "extended maintenance and support" key that I purchased February of this year. I tried this using the "Upgrade/Renew" button on the BI 'About' Settings page. It wouldn't work and asked for an activation code (which it can't get because the website is down).

I have e-mailed BI support (per the Facebook page recommendation) - but still have giant "Evaluation" boxes all over my BI cameras...

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm happy to say the website is 99.9% back up. I am putting the finishing touches back on it while Ken works his genius magic for the software aspect itself.

Anyone who is having evaluation mode issues, please be patient. I guarantee that everything will be made right very soon! This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to Blue Iris and will be the last!

Thanks again for everyone's patience.

I will report back in this thread soon.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm happy to say the website is 99.9% back up. I am putting the finishing touches back on it while Ken works his genius magic for the software aspect itself.

Anyone who is having evaluation mode issues, please be patient. I guarantee that everything will be made right very soon! This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to Blue Iris and will be the last!

Thanks again for everyone's patience.

I will report back in this thread soon.
This is good and all and hopefully we get a detail explanation once the dust settles.

Few Questions for whoever:

Why does a hard drive failure cause paying customers to go into eval mode, mine went to 0 days effectively meaning it was not running or recording. This is a HUGE when someone is remote and not able to put in the key again. I hope Ken addresses this publicly and what is being done to prevent this in the future.

What was with the EXE hosted on the blueiris website with the IIS page, some are saying it was malicious it would be good to have an official answer.

I thought IPCT was not associated with Blueiris, but you are a staff here and website admin for blueiris, i would like some transparency between IPCT and Blueiris.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
WARNING TO ANYONE USING A SERVICE

I discovered tonight that since re-entering my activation key, the service option has been switched off which means my cameras haven't been recording when the console has been closed.

Anyone who runs BI as a background service, who's had to re-enter their activation key due to the web site going down should check in their settings to make sure "Run as a Service" is checked in the options. Without you may find you're no longer recording.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I discovered tonight that since re-entering my activation key, the service option has been switched off which means my cameras haven't been recording when the console has been closed.

Anyone who runs BI as a background service, who's had to re-enter their activation key due to the web site going down should check in their settings to make sure "Run as a Service" is checked in the options. Without you may find you're no longer recording.
You cannot use the service when in the 15 day evaluation period, so everyone lost the service that went into eval mode. Mne was worse as i couldn't even open the app since mine went to 0 days.

orionbbs

n3wb
Reaction score

I have two NVRs that did this as well, in addition to going into eval mode, even after applying the license key again I had to manually enable the service. Its odd the app retained all of its configuration except for the service enable and presumably the login details for the service to run under?

shaun