Blue Iris Update Helper (BiUpdateHelper)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
BiUpdateHelper 1.7.1 contains a few tweaks to improve performance data accuracy.

Along with this, there are a few notable changes to the website with the goal of reducing incorrect conclusions.

MP/s values in the big performance data table are now be rendered in bold green text if the record came from helper 1.7.1+ and the record indicates that all FPS values were read from the web server. (If the web server isn't usable at the time of data collection, the FPS values come from the "Max Rate" setting which is typically higher than the real values)

When you click a record and view full details, there are now dynamic footnotes and slightly red coloring which inform about possible accuracy problems.

Example:

1584737571155.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can copy and paste the double dagger character ‡ into the MP/s column's search box to filter to only records that are confirmed to be based on actual FPS values. Right now there's only one (mine), but more should appear in the upcoming months as more people begin using 1.7.1 or newer.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
OK, stupid question. If I still use Blue Iris v4 (so no more BI updates) but want to use the other features of UpdateHelper, should I install the new v1.7?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, stupid question. If I still use Blue Iris v4 (so no more BI updates) but want to use the other features of UpdateHelper, should I install the new v1.7?
I suggest 1.6.4.2 for Blue Iris 4. 1.7 would "work" but it would likely not handle the performance data part very well.

For some reason mines not showing in green ??
There's likely something strange about your web server config. Mind sharing some screenshots of your config? Maybe I can figure out what is wrong. Censor your public IP address or share the images in a private message.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. The problem actually seems to be on the main web server page. You have it binding the web server socket only on one IP and helper v1.7 and 1.7.1 are connecting via "localhost" which maps to a different IP. I should be able to fix that. Check for 1.7.2 in a bit.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you, that has fixed it.

Could I make one suggestion to incorporate at some time.;

When you click on performance data it opens a new box. Is it possible to slightly relocate that box as i've occasionally found that when I close that box the x is just over the "Stop Service" box and an accidental extra click of the mouse will stop the service which I've
not always noticed.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
BiUpdateHelper 1.7.3 is out, which fixes a bug reported by @jaydeel

BiUpdateHelper 1.7+ creates a web server user named biupdatehelperuser which it uses when communicating with BI's web server. Older releases created this user incorrectly, causing Blue Iris to experience a problem trying to report on that user via the web server. The user is fixed the moment you start the BiUpdateHelper 1.7.3 service.

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey, on 1.7.3 and just noticed that for some reason, update files havent been saving since update64_5.1.0.0 back in Feb. The service has always been running and the option to backup update files is checked. Any ideas?

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey, on 1.7.3 and just noticed that for some reason, update files havent been saving since update64_5.1.0.0 back in Feb. The service has always been running and the option to backup update files is checked. Any ideas?
Have a look back in this thread!

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the webserver stuff? i read that and coulda swore i checked everything, but let me have another look to be sure..

EDIT: nope, I think I found the problem. I've changed my database folder to 'c:\BlueIris\db' and I think Blue Iris is using that as reference to where to store updates (maybe). My updates are located in 'c:\BlueIris\temp' and BIUH is only looking in
C:\ProgramData\Blue Iris\temp
and
C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5

Perhaps there is a way to BIUH to pull the database path?

EDIT2: A couple of errors in my log perhaps related to this:
3/23/2020 2:00:57 PM Unable to get file path for process 13900: update
3/28/2020 5:38:57 PM Unable to get file path for process 1776: update
4/1/2020 3:42:41 PM Unable to get file path for process 2668: BlueIris

Last edited: