Blue Iris Update Helper (BiUpdateHelper)

n3wb
Reaction score
Any chance of adding stats to the Blue Iris Performance Statistics page? As in kB/s (which is not always relative to MP/s), cams recording 24/7 vs triggered and some indication of motion detection load? All these can drastically affect CPU load.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@avatar42 Bit rates are not available (Blue Iris doesn't put it in the registry or expose it via any API I know of), but the method of recording trigger is included in the detailed stats when you click on any row from the main table.

Bestgear

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi - great utility....thanks for all your efforts.

Could you add a config item to specify a backup folder target?

Thanks

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since the update last night I am getting very high program ram usage- 4.7Gb not sure if it's related.

In the next update would it be possible that if a window is moved- eg performance tab, that the program remembers its position. I find i can often stop the program by closing a window as the 'x' is just above the 'stop service' button

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Since the update last night I am getting very high program ram usage- 4.7Gb not sure if it's related.
Oh my. That is quite a memory leak. What the hell??!!

I'll take down that release and investigate a.s.a.p.

In the next update would it be possible that if a window is moved- eg performance tab, that the program remembers its position. I find i can often stop the program by closing a window as the 'x' is just above the 'stop service' button
I don't think I'm going to do the position remembering, not for an app this simple which is not really meant to be actively used very much. It is a very fiddly thing to do, accounting for desktop layout changes that may cause windows to open off-screen and whatnot.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey BP! Over the past few weeks I'm getting these errors shown on my iPad using the new auto-maximise feature. It's on an old 2nd gen iPad with iOS 9.3 using MJPEG.

I've tested with UI3 running on various computers and doesn't show the errors.

It doesn't seem to be actually causing a problem (as in the cams still enlarge on motion)? Only thing I've noticed is that sometimes a cam gets 'stuck' in its maximised state.

thanks!

EDIT: I'm using Dolphin X as the browser

IMG_2571.jpgIMG_2607.jpg

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey BP! Over the past few weeks I'm getting these errors shown on my iPad using the new auto-maximise feature. It's on an old 2nd gen iPad with iOS 9.3 using MJPEG.

I've tested with UI3 running on various computers and doesn't show the errors.

It doesn't seem to be actually causing a problem (as in the cams still enlarge on motion)? Only thing I've noticed is that sometimes a cam gets 'stuck' in its maximised state.

thanks!

EDIT: I'm using Dolphin X as the browser

View attachment 85738View attachment 85739
Wrong thread to post a UI3 error report :)

Anyway, I think both of those are the same error, just happening in different places. Based on the line number, it happens when UI3 tries to use the HTML5 history API to update the URL at the top of the browser (happens during or after clip playback). Since that is a relatively unimportant feature in UI3, I'll make that error just silently log to the developer console and not spam you like that.

You might consider choosing a different browser. Most websites do not report script errors of any kind to the user and will just silently fail, which makes for a bad time. Dolphin X clearly has trouble with basic HTML5 features.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wrong thread to post a UI3 error report :)

Anyway, I think both of those are the same error, just happening in different places. Based on the line number, it happens when UI3 tries to use the HTML5 history API to update the URL at the top of the browser (happens during or after clip playback). Since that is a relatively unimportant feature in UI3, I'll make that error just silently log to the developer console and not spam you like that.

You might consider choosing a different browser. Most websites do not report script errors of any kind to the user and will just silently fail, which makes for a bad time. Dolphin X clearly has trouble with basic HTML5 features.
Apologies! I'm not quite sure how I managed that :smash:

Thanks for letting me know and that it's not a problem.

Dolphin X is far from ideal, but was the only browser to play nicely with the older iPad/ui3. It's a wall-mounted display so wanted true full-screen. I'm replacing it shortly anyhow...

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How do you configure the paths to where it is looking for the BI files? I have mine installed in a different directory.
Can only seem to change backup paths.
Is there a line in the .cfg config file I can add to change this?

11/07/2023 14:44:27 Found 1 blue iris processes and 0 update processes.
11/07/2023 14:44:27 No update file to back up in path: C:\ProgramData\Blue Iris\temp
11/07/2023 14:44:27 No update file to back up in path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5
Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you configure the paths to where it is looking for the BI files? I have mine installed in a different directory.
Can only seem to change backup paths.
Is there a line in the .cfg config file I can add to change this?

11/07/2023 14:44:27 Found 1 blue iris processes and 0 update processes.
11/07/2023 14:44:27 No update file to back up in path: C:\ProgramData\Blue Iris\temp
11/07/2023 14:44:27 No update file to back up in path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5
Thanks
Been a while since I looked at the code but I am pretty sure it is looking in two places, as seen in your log:

1) Where Blue Iris is actively running from (this is where update files used to go in older BI versions)
2) Where Blue Iris's "temp" folder is configured in the windows registry (this is where updates go in newer BI versions), so there should not be any need for a setting to control this.

So when you install a Blue Iris update via Blue Iris's GUI, then BiUpdateHelper should see the update process running, wait for it to finish, then move the update installer to the Blue Iris 5 directory and rename it to match the currently installed Blue Iris version.

I've never used it but apparently Blue iris can archive its own update files now if you check the appropriate box in Settings > About > Updates.

1689099534575.png

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Been a while since I looked at the code but I am pretty sure it is looking in two places, as seen in your log:

1) Where Blue Iris is actively running from (this is where update files used to go in older BI versions)
2) Where Blue Iris's "temp" folder is configured in the windows registry (this is where updates go in newer BI versions), so there should not be any need for a setting to control this.

So when you install a Blue Iris update via Blue Iris's GUI, then BiUpdateHelper should see the update process running, wait for it to finish, then move the update installer to the Blue Iris 5 directory and rename it to match the currently installed Blue Iris version.

I've never used it but apparently Blue iris can archive its own update files now if you check the appropriate box in Settings > About > Updates.

View attachment 167500
ah I see - so its only backing up the latest version?
I was hoping this was doing a daily backup of the settings and adding a timestamp to the backup or something along those lines.

I see a record of a back up on the 8th.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Daily backup of settings (Windows Registry), yes. In addition to the daily registry backup, it should also be doing a backup the moment it sees an update trying to install. The backups all appear as .7z files in your BiUpdateHelper folder > RegistryBackups > [other subfolder named for the backup type]. The path is configurable via the service settings in case you wanted to put it somewhere like a dropbox synced folder so you get automatic offsite backups. Thanks to the compression, the backups take up extremely little space so there is no automatic pruning function.

The other thing which this tool backs up is the update installer files so that you can easily revert to a previous version if you want. This is a less important feature now that IPCamTalk keeps an archive of Blue Iris update files but still it is nice to have local copies of the update installers on your own system.