Blue Iris UI3

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Strange, UI3 not working today???

As part of my daily routine, I log onto UI3 and take a look at anything that transpired overnight, especially after midnight. I have done this daily for the past 18 months. Going to check my BI PC console which is in my shop to see what has changed.
Probably needs a reboot.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I updated my original post on the last page, not a BI issue.

Not a BI issue, had a strange PC crash apparently, nothing recorded last night after 10:30 P.M. PC was on but no Windows 10 display at all. Had to hard boot and it came back on and I relaunched BI.

Very odd, no power failure, hand built PC has been on 24/7 for 2 years with not one hiccup.

I do not have BI running as a service so that would have been a good test.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bp2008 No rush. When I playback a clip in Clips tab, the playback includes my overlays (overlays have been enabled in camera config).

However, when I playback same triggered event in Timeline tab, the overlays are not there.

UI3 version 223, Blue Iris version: 5.6.2.1

Any chance we can support overlays in Timeline tab for single camera playback? and possibly during group playback?

Attachments

Last edited:

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how I go about troubleshooting to fix incredibly slow seek times when using the timeline on mobile?

My BI server is connected to a 50 mbit upload connection, and yet I continuously get 'the video stream was lost, attempting to reconnect' error.

How can I make this faster?

P.S. viewing individual clips from the clips tab seems to work just fine.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Mobile isn't related to your 50 Mbit service,,,it's affected by the Cell networks in the area you're using your phone.

The Condo has some weak Cell service areas...where checking BI server via mobile at home is slow or impossible.

But at home,,,,the Condo BI server works great on Mobile...because my cell service is great.

How to Check the Actual Signal Strength on Your iPhone - iGeeksBlog

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how I go about troubleshooting to fix incredibly slow seek times when using the timeline on mobile?

My BI server is connected to a 50 mbit upload connection, and yet I continuously get 'the video stream was lost, attempting to reconnect' error.

How can I make this faster?

P.S. viewing individual clips from the clips tab seems to work just fine.
Sounds like BI is having trouble serving the timeline video at all. Does it work okay when you are on local wifi or a wired LAN? Or on a different device?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like BI is having trouble serving the timeline video at all. Does it work okay when you are on local wifi or a wired LAN? Or on a different device?
Seems to work fine on local wifi/wired LAN.

However even when I have a 20 mbit downstream cellular connection (which is the lowest I'd get), it still struggles, even when I have it set to 480p resolution.

Would this need more than 20mbps if I'm looking at an 8 camera view in the timeline at 480p?
Even the individual substreams are only ~150kbps each, so I'm fairly certain that it could theoretically pull all 8 substream recordings simultaneously on a 5 mbps connection.

I'm running an 11th gen Intel i5 with 16GB RAM with a PCIe 4.0 SDD for OS, and footage is being recorded on a 6TB WD Purple HDD.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The bit rates you configured in each camera are largely irrelevant to UI3 because all the video Blue Iris sends to UI3 is re-encoded with the streaming profile you chose. 480p has a max bit rate of 456 Kbps unless you edited the streaming profile to change it, but you'd be hard pressed to make a 480p stream big enough to struggle on the kind of connection you describe. Even the 4K profile has a max bit rate of 8192 Kbps so you should not have major problems streaming it over cellular (besides using an excessive amount of bandwidth).

The one exception to this is if you've enabled "direct-to-wire" streaming, then single-camera live streams from H.264 cams are sent in their original form without regard for the chosen streaming profile. Due to the limitations of that feature, it is certainly not active while you are seeking on the timeline.

I really have no idea what could be wrong.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 No rush. When I playback a clip in Clips tab, the playback includes my overlays (overlays have been enabled in camera config).

However, when I playback same triggered event in Timeline tab, the overlays are not there.

UI3 version 223, Blue Iris version: 5.6.2.1

Any chance we can support overlays in Timeline tab for single camera playback? and possibly during group playback?
@actran Please try Blue Iris 5.6.2.6. If you still don't get overlays when scrolled back on the timeline, try right clicking the video and using the "Text/graphic overlays > Force ON" option. Those options were broken on my system but Ken fixed them for 5.6.2.6 and hopefully that fixes your problem too.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I recently started using several tablets at entry/exit points in the house. A couple of HD fire tablets and a Samsung note 10. I'm using UI3 (223) on all of them, full screen. None seem to go more than about 24 hours before the page crashes (oh snap) and I have to reload - at which point it'll work again for 24 hours (+/- 10 hrs).

I've tried it with the built-in Amazon Silk browser, Chrome, and Brave (with shields turned off). Same result.

Are there any tweaks I can make to the android platform or browser via UI3 (or the BI server) that might help reduce or eliminate these crashes?

I'm running on 480p. Tried it with direct-to-wire both enabled and disabled.

ericINT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a problem that I am seeing on a box running 223 that I did not have previously, though I could definitely turn out to be a config/user error.

I have UI3 limited to 5 FPS and 4096 kbps, and while looking at all cameras I get 5 FPS. However, once I click on a stream the bitrate drops and becomes unstable, dropping to 2-3 FPS. The computer is not struggling, CPU/GPU/MEM all very low. I have another identically setup box running an older version of BI/UI3 (v 161) which does not show this issue.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@erkme73 Try the JavaScript H.264 player in the UI settings.

@ericINT I'm not sure.. How did you limit the FPS and Kbps? Have you recently enabled "Direct-to-wire" mode in the BI web server > Advanced > Configure (Encoder options)? Or "Direct-to-wire" within a UI3 streaming profile? That feature could cause compatibility problems. Are you using sub streams? If your sub streams are configured weird, it can cause streaming problems especially once it tries to switch to the main stream after you click on a camera. There's a guide for sub streams.

ericINT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ericINT I'm not sure.. How did you limit the FPS and Kbps? Have you recently enabled "Direct-to-wire" mode in the BI web server > Advanced > Configure (Encoder options)? Or "Direct-to-wire" within a UI3 streaming profile? That feature could cause compatibility problems. Are you using sub streams? If your sub streams are configured weird, it can cause streaming problems especially once it tries to switch to the main stream after you click on a camera. There's a guide for sub streams.
Thanks for making me re-read the guide for sub-streams. I did not have the sub-stream rate the same as the main-stream which caused the issue.

It is odd that I have the same incorrect settings on the older system and it is working fine. BI/UI3 ( 5.4.9.18 / 161)
Regardless I will make the change to both.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I will set all three up on JS and will post back. TY
No luck. It bombed out within 15 min....

Actually it didn't bomb out. The screen just shut off. Interestingly, the html5 keeps the screen on indefinitely, but the JS doesn't. Any way that can be changed on my end?

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I run "Alive!" on my fire tablets Android app to keep them from having their screen shut off.
Good idea. But if there is a way for the browser to keep it awake, I'd prefer that route. They've all been de-bloated and neutered/firewalled. I'd prefer to keep background things to a minimum.

But, since you appear to be doing the same as me, do you have issues with your UI3 on the tablets "oh snapping"?

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Every so often (but not THAT often), the screen will go blank on one or another for a couple of seconds. That's about the extent of my interruptions. I run 6 tablets (3 Fire10 and 3 Fire8) pretty much 24/7. 5 of them run different BI Cam setups. The other one runs Windy Android app