Blue Iris UI3

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Slow and bursty. The overlay shows the recorded frame rate 15FPS (and it does record at that rate since exports are smooth). The FPS on UI3 shows it drops down as low as 2, but typically stays at about half the recorded frame rate.

Everything is BVR direct-to-disc:

It's an i7-6xxx Dell Optiplex 7040 with 48GB of ram, 1TB epci SSD for OS and 14TB spinny drive for clips. Drives are not getting much write demand - they're certainly not saturated...

It's not. Using HTML5:
Well then I unforunately have no idea what could be wrong.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well then I unforunately have no idea what could be wrong.
No worries. Thanks for the suggestions. Its not a deal breaker. When I watch live and use the D2W settings, its great. It's just playback that sucks... but if it's ever critical, I can export it for a smoot video.

920cody

n3wb
Reaction score
@bp2008 First, let me say this is a great piece of software!
I have an issue and a request for an upgrade.
First, the request. Is it possible to add the GPU % to the stats on the lower left corner? I'm running Deepstack GPU version and would like to be able to monitor the GPU usage overall.

As for the issue, when I open the UI3 interface, all my cameras are blurry. I run 7 cameras. When I open them individually, they're crystal clear. It's just blurry when I see them all on the main page. I've enclosed a screenshot as an attachment to this post.

Thanks!

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't answer for BP2008 on the GPU but the blurry video means you need to change the bit rate of your sub streams in each camera. Also switch them to CBR rather than VBR. Increase the bit rate of the sub streams a little at a time until you see "clean" video.

920cody

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't answer for BP2008 on the GPU but the blurry video means you need to change the bit rate of your sub streams in each camera. Also switch them to CBR rather than VBR. Increase the bit rate of the sub streams a little at a time until you see "clean" video.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

920cody

n3wb
Reaction score
All cameras already CBR. I increased bit rate of the sub streams from where they were, all the way up to the max value and it made no difference.

920cody

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I found out how to fix the blurry images...In the UI settings, under Video Player, I increased the Dynamic Group Max Resolution from 1440 to 3960 and it immediately made a difference. Going higher, didn't do anything.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an issue and a request for an upgrade.
First, the request. Is it possible to add the GPU % to the stats on the lower left corner? I'm running Deepstack GPU version and would like to be able to monitor the GPU usage overall.
UI3 doesn't have any way of knowing your GPU usage numbers (because Blue Iris does not provide that information). Unfortunately even if it did, it isn't a good fit. Literally. Putting more things into the Server Status section would require a lot of redesign so that it would not need to grow in height to accommodate having more data. Vertical side bar space is extremely valuable on small displays which I must always take into consideration. And the Timeline tab added earlier this year has pretty much locked in the available height for the Server Status section.

Also, you might not realize this, but GPUs do not have just one usage metric that is relevant to Blue Iris. Have a look at all the things in Windows Task Manager > Performance tab. There are a ton of values in there, and at least 5 of them are relevant in some Blue Iris installs. Not to mention the fact that Blue Iris can use more than one GPU.

I think I found out how to fix the blurry images...In the UI settings, under Video Player, I increased the Dynamic Group Max Resolution from 1440 to 3960 and it immediately made a difference. Going higher, didn't do anything.
Yes, this was the proper solution. But do be aware this may increase your server's CPU usage a lot when it is streaming a group at such a high resolution.

920cody

n3wb
Reaction score
UI3 doesn't have any way of knowing your GPU usage numbers (because Blue Iris does not provide that information). Unfortunately even if it did, it isn't a good fit. Literally. Putting more things into the Server Status section would require a lot of redesign so that it would not need to grow in height to accommodate having more data. Vertical side bar space is extremely valuable on small displays which I must always take into consideration. And the Timeline tab added earlier this year has pretty much locked in the available height for the Server Status section.

Also, you might not realize this, but GPUs do not have just one usage metric that is relevant to Blue Iris. Have a look at all the things in Windows Task Manager > Performance tab. There are a ton of values in there, and at least 5 of them are relevant in some Blue Iris installs. Not to mention the fact that Blue Iris can use more than one GPU.

Yes, this was the proper solution. But do be aware this may increase your server's CPU usage a lot when it is streaming a group at such a high resolution.
No problem on the GPU.
The CPU usage sits at 3-6%. Usage is barely noticeable.

Thanks!

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a question about timeout on Edge. I switched from Chrome to Edge because Chrome was giving me a green screen but Edge is timing out on me even though I set timeout to 0. Chrome stayed connected for me but I can't seem to get Edge to stay connected. Is this a known issue with Edge or do I need to do something different?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Baubas Please clarify what happens in Edge that shouldn't be happening. With screenshots, video, or whatever is necessary to show it.

UI3's idle timeout feature sends you to a very distinctive "Web Interface Timeout" page. If you aren't sent there, then your issue has nothing to do with UI3's idle timeout. For some reason, lots of people get confused about this.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Baubas

Okay so that is just an authentication prompt from your web browser, and is not related to UI3's idle timeout. Side note, the timeout=0 url parameter you added is not supposed to have a quotation mark in it.

My best guess is Blue Iris crashed and that you have BI configured to run as a service, so BI restarted immediately by itself. When BI crashes, all active web server sessions are lost. At that point, UI3's background status requests would get a failure response due to the invalid session, and that triggers a warning message in the lower right corner of UI3 which is visible for 3 seconds before UI3 reloads itself.

Upon reload, Blue Iris tells the web browser to show a login prompt because you don't have "secure session keys and login page" enabled, and therefore the login page isn't used, and you can't get automatically logged back in.

You can verify if Blue Iris is crashing by simply looking at the "Log" tab in the BI status window. Near the bottom you might have a "Restarted after unexpected shutdown" like in this screenshot:

1662688643887.png

Unfortunately, anything about the cause of the crash is pretty close to impossible to determine if you aren't Ken Pletzer sitting in front of his development machine. So ... good luck with that.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This evening with the help of some feedback that was forwarded to me by BI support, I found a bug that could cause video corruption in UI3's HTML5 player. It was a relatively new bug added in UI3-220 on June 28th. It is now fixed in UI3-223 and I am eager to find out if this fixes the "green video" problem that many have been reporting when using UI3 in Chrome with the default HTML5 video player.

If anyone who can reliably reproduce the green video problem AND is running UI3-220 or later could manually install UI3-223 and let me know if it solves the problem or not, I'd love to hear about it. Manual installation instructions for UI3 are here.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This evening with the help of some feedback that was forwarded to me by BI support, I found a bug that could cause video corruption in UI3's HTML5 player. It was a relatively new bug added in UI3-220 on June 28th. It is now fixed in UI3-223 and I am eager to find out if this fixes the "green video" problem that many have been reporting when using UI3 in Chrome with the default HTML5 video player.

If anyone who can reliably reproduce the green video problem AND is running UI3-220 or later could manually install UI3-223 and let me know if it solves the problem or not, I'd love to hear about it. Manual installation instructions for UI3 are here.
I just tested, no more green video. Thanks @bp2008

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Brief tests here however, no green frames! Thank you.

elliottwe

n3wb
Reaction score

Before and after versions
UI3 version 221, Blue Iris version: 5.5.9.6
UI3 version 223, Blue Iris version: 5.5.9.6

No problems after installing UI3 v223.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm sorry it took so long to figure out what changed to cause that. To this day I've never seen it in person so I was unable to do anything on my end to find the problem :(
No problem at all. It's all part of the process of developing. I'm sure we'll glady all deal with the minor bugs than to not have UI3 at all, so it is all good! Heck it's a great product and we love it! You are only human. Although a very wise one! Keep up the good work bud!