Blue Iris UI3

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Why would the stream from a cam be lagging by several full minutes at times?

Normally good but now and then one of my 4K cams will get behind by a lot. Like 2 or 3 full minutes (as shown by the cam's time overlay). It's fine viewing in BI via RDC and through the cam's interface. Only see the delay in UI3 and when viewing through the app.. Thinking back now while writing this I believe that I've seen the same from my Color4K-X a few times too. Those are my only 4K cams and the only ones where I've ever noticed the same. Other cams are OK when this happens so not an overall slowdown. Substream from the cam is OK too. Only the main stream is delayed.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would the stream from a cam be lagging by several full minutes at times?

Normally good but now and then one of my 4K cams will get behind by a lot. Like 2 or 3 full minutes (as shown by the cam's time overlay). It's fine viewing in BI via RDC and through the cam's interface. Only see the delay in UI3 and when viewing through the app.. Thinking back now while writing this I believe that I've seen the same from my Color4K-X a few times too. Those my only 4K cams and the only ones where I've ever noticed the same. Other cams are OK when this happens so not an overall slowdown. Substream from the cam is OK too. Only the main stream is delayed.
No idea. When you view in BI, if you maximize the camera, is it delayed then?

When you click the camera in UI3's group view, is it delayed as soon as the main stream video appears, or does it take time to become delayed?

Did you configure the main and sub streams to have the same frame rate and iframe interval as recommended in the sub stream guide?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
No, it's fine viewing single-cam in BI (and in the cam's interface). Also OK when viewing the substream in multi-view in BI and UI3. If I click on the cam to maximize it in UI3, that's when I see the delay. I'd have to double check it again when it's happening to be sure but I believe that it does it from the start not after some period of time. I know for sure that once it gets behind, it stays behind if I click back and forth between single- and multi-cam view and/or if I do a browser refresh. Tried that thinking that maybe I could refresh the stream that way but doesn't work. Yes, all cams have matching frame rates and I frame intervals, either 15 or 20 for both depending on cam. The two 4K Dahua cams where I see this are set CBR, frame rate 20, bit rate 10240, interval 20 for main, 704x480, CBR, bit rate 1024, 20/20 frame rate/iFrame for substream.

Eventually it will "jump time" and catch up and is fine again. Haven't really tracked how long/when/how that happens. Just magically working again later when I look. I say "jump time" because I'm pretty sure that I've seen it catch up immediately when I check it within whatever period of time delayed vs a more gradual catch up over time.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No, it's fine viewing single-cam in BI (and in the cam's interface). Also OK when viewing the substream in multi-view in BI and UI3. If I click on the cam to maximize it in UI3, that's when I see the delay. I'd have to double check it again when it's happening to be sure but I believe that it does it from the start not after some period of time. I know for sure that once it gets behind, it stays behind if I click back and forth between single- and multi-cam view and/or if I do a browser refresh. Tried that thinking that maybe I could refresh the stream that way but doesn't work. Yes, all cams have matching frame rates and I frame intervals, either 15 or 20 for both depending on cam. The two 4K Dahua cams where I see this are set CBR, frame rate 20, bit rate 10240, interval 20 for main, 704x480, CBR, bit rate 1024, 20/20 frame rate/iFrame for substream.

Eventually it will "jump time" and catch up and is fine again. Haven't really tracked how long/when/how that happens. Just magically working again later when I look. I say "jump time" because I'm pretty sure that I've seen it catch up immediately when I check it within whatever period of time delayed vs a more gradual catch up over time.
That sounds pretty strange. I can't even guess what is causing the behavior you describe. It sounds like it couldn't be UI3's fault, because it happens at the start of a stream (quote: it stays behind if I click back and forth between single- and multi-cam view and/or if I do a browser refresh). But this ( it's fine viewing single-cam in BI) tells me that Blue Iris isn't receiving the video late or anything like that, and I have never seen it be out of sync between the local console and the web server like that.

Could be a new bug I suppose. Do you know what version of BI you were running when it started and about how long ago it was?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Currently running 5.5.9.3. Don't recall when I first noticed. I think I did see it in whatever version I was running just prior to this one but wouldn't swear to it. I usually lag my updates a bit too.

Yeah, I see this on multiple machines if I open UI3 on them at the time and I know that I've seen in the app too so must be something related to the streaming out from BI to the devices. And as I said, other cams aren't affected so seems related to that specific stream not BI overall. CPU typically is a little higher with RDC and the console open and bringing up the mainstream and having UI3 open when messing with it but it's maybe hitting 40%-50%-ish and not pegging out or anything like that.

I'll try to screen capture next time it happens. I can show it displaying the substream 'real-time' in the multi-cam view with the current time. Click and it will show the main stream with whatever was happening several minutes ago and that earlier time displayed.

Last edited:

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Correct. When direct-to-wire is working, the other encoding parameters from the streaming quality have no effect.
I don't think you understand what I'm saying.
The encoding parameters DO have an effect. When I change them in the UI3 UI, the quality is affected when I view a single cam.
Are you saying that this shouldn't happen?
If so, why is it happening?

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The encoding parameters DO have an effect. When I change them in the UI3 UI, the quality is affected when I view a single cam.
@Corvus85 Just in case you did not know, @bp2008 created UI3 so he should know what he is talking about. It's his code.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes

Because direct-to-wire is not working.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Corvus85 Just in case you did not know, @bp2008 created UI3 so he should know what he is talking about. It's his code.
Yeah I get it. I'm not saying he doesn't understand UI3. I'm saying I don't think he was understanding what I saying, because it seems like we're going around in circles lol.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. Why though? I've enabled the setting, and direct to wire is also enabled in my UI3 quality profile. Anything else I should try?
I'm pretty sure I didn't leave anything out.

• Camera sending H.264
  • Direct-to-disc enabled for the camera
  • Direct-to-wire enabled for the stream you're pulling

If all those are all achieved, you should be getting the direct-to-wire stream.

Yeah I get it. I'm not saying he doesn't understand UI3. I'm saying I don't think he was understanding what I saying, because it seems like we're going around in circles lol.
We're definitely going around in circles. I think you're just missing one of the details.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If all those are all achieved, you should be getting the direct-to-wire stream.
Ok but I've done all that, and changing the quality profile in UI3 still makes a difference to a solo camera view.

So the question is - why?

I think you're just missing one of the details.
Which detail? I've done all of the points you've mentioned. I'm saying that changing the quality profile still changes the quality of the solo camera view. By your admission, this means direct-to-wire isn't working. My question is why?