Blue Iris UI3

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I understand my use case here with running ui3 within an iFrame is not general practice :smash:

Strangely, cookies are enabled and I don't receive the toast error when logging into ui3 directly, only when running through an iFrame.

I will test the update the and post back here.
Following up on this after having another look at what is happening. It's even stranger... and I still don't think it's anything to do with UI3 unless there is some workaround using BroadcastChannel or similar. Posting for curiosity and interest!

I have tested using three methods; Safari.app, Safari WebClips via Profiles and Kiosker.app (A fullscreen iOS app). Webclips and Kiosker.app both allow full screen. Safari.app does not.

If the page with UI3 is displayed within an iFrame using the default Safari.app, everything works as expected. Session Cookies and LocalStorage are retained.

If the page with UI3 is displayed within an iFrame using WebClips or Kiosker.app, Session Cookies and LocalStorage are not retained.

If I load UI3 WITHOUT being within an iFrame, Session Cookies and LocalStorage are retained using all three methods...

I've been attempting to find information as to why this would be the case, but I haven't found ANY discussion on the topic. I don't understand how it can work in Safari.app but as soon as you use safari through a WebClip or similar full-screen app, it doesn't work.

As you can tell this is frying my brain. I don't see why Apple have to make this so difficult! I may just have to chuck the iPad's in the bin and be done with it :smash:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am getting frequent "green screens" on UI3 - regardless of OS. PC and phone. It clears up if I back out of the problematic view and attempt again. Happens one out of ever 5 or so attempts to bring up the cameras. It'll do it on individual cameras, or even indexed views:

1657916025232.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thread here re same as above.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There's another thread about the green video issue too: What is causing the green on my cam?

It is unclear to me what is causing it. Looney2ns said he has been getting it intermittently for months but I think for most people it only showed up recently. I haven't seen it yet myself on any of my systems.

Simple fact is, UI3's HTML5 video player backend implementation is extremely dependent on the browser, the OS, and the hardware you run it on. To complicate matters further, Blue Iris can change how video gets encoded with any patch, without it being mentioned in release notes.

iStealth

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all,

I remember using this a long time ago where there was the ability to switch servers if you had an multi-site blue iris setup that was a dropdown list of which server you wanted to view

is this now gone and is it possible to add manually??

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I remember using this a long time ago where there was the ability to switch servers if you had an multi-site blue iris setup that was a dropdown list of which server you wanted to view

is this now gone and is it possible to add manually??
That was only a function of UI2 which was useful because, as a third-party addon, UI2 was something you needed to install and update manually. So there was value in being able to use one UI2 instance to connect to many Blue Iris servers. That is no longer the case with UI3, so you can just put all your UI3 bookmarks into a folder in your bookmarks bar to have a very similar server-switching experience.

UI3's backend does technically still have the ability to be redirected to a different Blue Iris server, but I do not have a user interface for it because it would have created a lot of pressure to maintain backwards compatibility with older Blue Iris versions, which is a serious maintenance hassle.

iStealth

n3wb
Reaction score
That was only a function of UI2 which was useful because, as a third-party addon, UI2 was something you needed to install and update manually. So there was value in being able to use one UI2 instance to connect to many Blue Iris servers. That is no longer the case with UI3, so you can just put all your UI3 bookmarks into a folder in your bookmarks bar to have a very similar server-switching experience.

UI3's backend does technically still have the ability to be redirected to a different Blue Iris server, but I do not have a user interface for it because it would have created a lot of pressure to maintain backwards compatibility with older Blue Iris versions, which is a serious maintenance hassle.
Ok with your permission can I use your existing code of Ui2 ( I found it on the internet ) and use the new feature in Ui3 using the file ui3-local-overrides.js to add this functionally myself I know its a lot of code modification to make it work but i am sure I can do it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok with your permission can I use your existing code of Ui2 ( I found it on the internet ) and use the new feature in Ui3 using the file ui3-local-overrides.js to add this functionally myself I know its a lot of code modification to make it work but i am sure I can do it.
:lol: Of course, that's what open-source licenses are all about. Go right ahead.

The secret sauce is the currentServer.SetRemoteServer function. Takes 4 string arguments.
  1. First argument is a unique ID string which you make up to go with each server in your server list. 1-16 characters, alphanumeric, may contain spaces. This is used as a prefix for all the settings keys that UI3 will save in local storage, so that each server you connect to can have its own unique settings.
  2. Second argument is the base URL of the BI server you want UI3 to connect to, e.g. http://192.168.0.3:81/
  3. Third argument is the user name required by that BI server.
  4. Fourth argument is the password required by that BI server.
Call that function before the DOM is fully loaded, and UI3 will act as a client for the given server instead of the server you loaded UI3 from. There may be some quirks because there are a few places where UI3 needs to refer to local storage without using the appropriate wrapper object. Such as when migrating old settings keys that got deprecated.

Also there are some browser security issues you may need to deal with. Things like not allowing unencrypted http connections if you loaded the page from an https origin. And if you load the UI3 webpage from an internet IP, you can't connect UI3 to a local IP -- the browser will complain and prevent the connection.

Lastly, I warn you if you connect to too many servers with different unique ID strings, you'll fill up your local storage allocation for the origin you loaded UI3.htm from. (5 MB limit imposed by most browsers) If that happens you'll start getting errors complaining about exceeding the quota. You can clear local storage via the code localStorage.clear() or by using the reset.htm page that is included with UI3.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My brother says 3 of 4 tablets are displaying this:

1658631023326.png

He's running 221 on BI 5.5.95.

I recall seeing this a long time ago, but thought this was addressed because I haven't seen it since then...

Is there a switch that needs to be flipped to prevent this?

Well, that's embarrassing Looks like I asked this same question 5 years ago on this very thread (Blue Iris UI3). At least I remembered it was a problem - just not the solution of autoplay on browser settings. Please ignore my ramblings.

hajalie24

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to embed UI3 in an iFrame in Home Assistant. I've allowed iframe in the web server settings, but after I login I get the following error:

1658885231587.png

Do you know why this is and if anything can be dome about it?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to embed UI3 in an iFrame in Home Assistant. I've allowed iframe in the web server settings, but after I login I get the following error:

View attachment 134614

At some point your Blue Iris web server sent back a login page instead of the requested file, and your browser cached it. Clear browser cache and you'll be good to go again.

hajalie24

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At some point your Blue Iris web server sent back a login page instead of the requested file, and your browser cached it. Clear browser cache and you'll be good to go again.
Hmm, I've tried that and same result. I've also tried Ctrl + Shift + R and Ctrl F5 initially.

hajalie24

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I was able to resolve it by unchecking 'Use secure session keys and login page' under the Blue Iris web server settings.

Probably not the best practice, but I really hope my local network doesn't have an active MITM situation anyway haha.

hajalie24

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Following up on this after having another look at what is happening. It's even stranger... and I still don't think it's anything to do with UI3 unless there is some workaround using BroadcastChannel or similar. Posting for curiosity and interest!

I have tested using three methods; Safari.app, Safari WebClips via Profiles and Kiosker.app (A fullscreen iOS app). Webclips and Kiosker.app both allow full screen. Safari.app does not.

If the page with UI3 is displayed within an iFrame using the default Safari.app, everything works as expected. Session Cookies and LocalStorage are retained.

If the page with UI3 is displayed within an iFrame using WebClips or Kiosker.app, Session Cookies and LocalStorage are not retained.

If I load UI3 WITHOUT being within an iFrame, Session Cookies and LocalStorage are retained using all three methods...

I've been attempting to find information as to why this would be the case, but I haven't found ANY discussion on the topic. I don't understand how it can work in Safari.app but as soon as you use safari through a WebClip or similar full-screen app, it doesn't work.

As you can tell this is frying my brain. I don't see why Apple have to make this so difficult! I may just have to chuck the iPad's in the bin and be done with it :smash:
Maybe you're having a similar issue. See what I did above.

integrity

n3wb
Reaction score
Top work on UI3 - Blue Iris wouldn't work for me without it.

Feature requests if I may:

1. Option in 'UI Settings' to auto-switch resolution for tiled and single camera views. Eg allow me to pre-set 720p for tiled view and 4K for single camera view and apply those settings on switching view. Still allow manual profile switching when on a particular view; just default to the pre-sets on first switching to that view.

2. Automatic UI3 window refresh (ie F5) at <x> minute intervals. For whatever reason my system tends to lag over time resulting in the orange clock icon once a day or so; being able to set an auto window refresh every 300 minutes say would completely fix this with minimal effect on the viewing experience.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @integrity

Thanks for the feature requests.

I'm not going to do the thing where a different profile is used for groups vs single cameras (EVERYTHING adds to maintenance hassle, I need to draw the line somewhere).

But you can limit the group streaming resolution in other ways.
1) In BI's local console, click the 1659131190841.png <-- pencil button to access "Edit layout" mode. Then you can right click any camera, go down to the second Height submenu and set a resolution limit there. (there are two Height submenus, the second is the one you need)

2) If you have dynamic aspect ratio enabled (which is default) then you can right click the video in UI3 and choose group settings, and adjust the max resolution via a slider. Shrink it until you're happy with performance.

To automatically refresh the page on some interval, I recommend a browser extension.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Somehow I've lost the clips panel and other controls and menu for live view, clips, timeline at the top. Only cams showing. How do I get that back?