Blue Iris Office Monitor

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some advise.

I have finished my home office now and was looking to mount a 19 or 21" sceen on the wall with a constant feed of cams, as i have had in the past with a DVR

Is there any options for this from blue iris, maybe some way via a pi or similar? Web server stream?

My blue iris, is running on a server 2012, which is virtualised on a esxi platform, on a micro server gen 8 under the floor, under the stairs, the study is probably 50metres from this location and detached so all ideas of external monitor is unfortunately not plausible.

There is surplus cat 6 running from switch and patch panel under stairs, into study. Also carries POE as phone, wap, cameras etc need it, but if there is any solution that can utilise this even better.

Any suggestions would be great

Joe

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Joe,

I have seen people do things like this with an Android Mini PC, running the BI app or IP Cam Viewer app. That's one real simple way to accomplish this.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There exist devices that will extend HDMI over a computer network, but in my experience, these work by broadcasting about 80 to 100 Mbps of MJPEG video. Not something you probably want to subject your network to unless you have an isolated network cable between the BI server and the TV/monitor.

Otherwise a mini PC running an app like Mike suggested is your best bet. My advice is to get something with wired ethernet since it will be streaming video continuously and you don't want that on your WiFi if you can help it. I don't think very many Android boxes have wired ethernet. Newegg has a little low power Atom PC for $95 that you might try (NO operating system included, so it is mostly just good for Linux): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501011 but this might not be any better for your purposes than a Raspberry Pi 2 for half the cost.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just use an old PC that still runs XP. I put a video card in it with an hdmi out and connect it to a 32" tv for it's monitor. Then I open the BI web page. If you already have a PC in your office and can connect a second monitor, you can do that if you didn't want a second PC.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Just a note, and I am not sure if you know about the Blue Iris Web Pages?
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/93-I-made-a-better-remote-live-view-page?highlight=web+page

But I find those to be a SIGNIFICANT enhancement to Blue Iris. Being able to Zoom In with the mouse, or manipulate the time line is EXTREMELY handy/usefull

I am mentioning that because I would want something that would allow me to view and interact with the enhanced web pages and if I was in your situation I would be looking at one of the ChromeBoxes with Wifi
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=computers&field-keywords=chromebox

(not sure the FireStick and other inexpensive options would allow you to do this?)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You really need a mouse pointer or touchscreen to interact well with my pages. For non-interactive live view, IP cam Viewer would probably do a better job anyway. Better frame rate, lower bandwidth usage, etc, if you use a h264 stream instead of mjpeg.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
True - but very easy to add wireless mouse to chromebox, plus you could actually use it to check email, look something up on the web real quick, etc