Blue iris not deleting old footage

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am just reposting this because I had this isuue back in may and now i see i still have it. none of my old files are being overwrritten instead the disk fills up and then it stops recording.

Here is the old thread
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/12435-Blue-iris-not-deleting-old-footage?p=112184#post112184
you likely dont have your storage setup properly...post images of all your folder settings..as blue iris status clip storage tab...
Look at your status alerts..its likely telling you what the issue is.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see there are zero files in the storage folder. for some reason they arent moving.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i dont have a storage clip tab. and i manually went and deleted a bunch of files from the new folder (the storage folder was empty) . I needed the recording to start again early this morning.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Storage tab would look something like this. Not sure why yours isn't showing up but fenderman is the guy to see about this type of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do update except it only updates 3 of 4 files. One always fails. I tried stopping the service but it didn't help

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

on the E: drive there is nothing in the stored folder. everything is in the new folder

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did I select the stored drive in the BI settings or did you type it in? Some of the capitalization differs from the one putting files in the New folder, in just curious if maybe you typed something in wrong and didn't realize it and it caused an issue.

Click on the ... box and try selecting it from drop down and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest here. Clip management is one of BI's weak points. Most of the time everything is fine, but if and when something does go wrong, BI doesn't seem to be very good at recovering on its own.

Most of the systems I work with produce such a small disk load that the disk never fills up, but I have two systems that regularly fill up the disk and I've had problems with each of them.

One system was my old BI 3.66 box I keep around for 24/7 substream recording and testing my web UI against. I logged on to that system a while ago to find two or three clumps of recordings, like the most recent 2 weeks, then a week from several months ago, and a week from even more months ago, with the clips in between all deleted correctly. Probably the cause of this system's problems is that it records to a USB external disk that sometimes (every couple of months) disappears off the system suddenly and has to be unplugged and plugged back in. It keeps the clip DB on an internal SSD that doesn't disappear randomly. My guess is that the nightly DB repair is actually just a Compact operation, and it is probably seeing the disk is gone and nuking the DB to start fresh. I don't know if this is the case, but it would explain the results I'm seeing.

The other system I had trouble on was running BI 4.4.0.0 or something, and is one I set up for someone else (using motion detection). I found it complaining about its 420 GB storage allocation being overallocated by 200 GB. When I investigated, I found that half the clips in the Stored folder were not in BI's clip list. The first thing I did was update BI. Then I manually repaired the clip DB. This corrected the issue at least temporarily. It has behaved as expected the last few weeks, deleting the old to make room for the new, but then again it behaved fine for a solid month before it screwed up the first time. It is recording to an internal drive in this case ... the OS drive actually ... so I have no clue what caused the problem. Maybe a power outage or something.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its a 4tb drive. there is presently 1.57 tb in the new folder and nothing in the storage folder at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Try deleting the database folder and rebuilding it..