Blue Iris & iPhone4 with ipCam App

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this or if anyone else has done this so here goes.

I have a unused iPhone4 with no cell service that will, of course, surf the 'net via WiFi. I already had the ipCam app on it from SKJM and use it often with a gooseneck suction cup mount on the tailgate of my Ford F-250 Super Duty pickup pointed down to the trailer hitch ball. It broadcasts live video to an iPad on the seat of the truck and helps me back up to the trailer coupler to hitch up our 32’ travel trailer all by myself. No getting out / back in the truck 10 times, no dented bumper or tailgate. It has already saved my marriage!

Yesterday I set up BI to use that a spare iPhone4 running ipCam (from SKJM) as a totally wireless IP cam. It ran 12 hours yesterday without a single hiccup, and I logged in to my BI server 3 or 4 times while out and about via AT&T LTE on my iPhone5c with the BI app to check on it.

I gave the iPhone4 a static IP on my wireless network. With ipCam you can also change the port from 80, put in a username & password and even use DDNS. You can use the front or the back cam. One thing you must do under ipCam's 'Options' is turn the 4:3 Crop to 'ON' so that rotating the iPhone won't disconnect the video feed to BI as BI tries to figure out what's going on.

There might be an occasional use for it, like a temporary 'nanny cam' .

Honestly, this is not a plug for SKJM's ipCam, I just happen to have it going with that trailer hitch setup and have BI so I figured I'd monkey around with it, have some fun and was pleased with the outcome. So there, have at it, guys!

But here IS a plug for BI: I've been using PC's and software since 1977 before PC's, before DOS, when it was Digital Research and CP/M. Used them to monitor and maintain traffic signals at municipal governments. I've purchased and tried all kinds of software over the years, especially the last few as I got into IP cams and NVR's for home surveillance for myself and friends and I must say BI is one of the best bangs for the buck if not THE best... FTP works, texting works, e-mail works, motion works, etc. It's highly configurable. I'm a BIG fan of BI.

Attachments

Last edited:

cwh060

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting concept, obviously you have a strong WiFi signal outside the house to be able to use a cell phone in this manner. I've not tried SKJM's software, I do use the BI mobile on my iPhone 6 and it works great.

Agree BI is one of the best software packages I've come across over the years.

(I too remember the days of dialing into Bulletin Boards and programming PDP11's!)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, when using the iPhone4 as a hitch cam I don't use my house's WiFi, I use the truck's! I have a tiny TP-LINK TL-702N travel router running as an access point, it runs on 5 volts and is plugged into the truck's cigarette lighter USB charger, with DHCP turned off, and with a static IP. The iPhone4 is connected to the wireless signal from the TP-LINK, has a static IP, as does the iPad in the truck. This way I can also use this hitch cam setup at the campground, independent of anybody's WiFi. I could probably try this in ad-hoc mode, eliminating the TP-LINK and having the iPhone & iPad communicate directly, just have not had the time to try that. Maybe the smaller internal antennae of the iPhone & iPad will preclude that mode and the signal strength & gain of the little access point is the only reason why it works as well as it does now. Besides, my mantra is "why fix something that's not broken"?

Sorry, didn't mean to stray from this forum's intent and purpose as a BI forum but I just wanted to clarify the Wi-Fi thing. Getting back on track, with ipCam on the iPhone it works great as a small, totally wireless IP cam with BI!

Last edited by a moderator:

cwh060

n3wb
Reaction score
Ingenious use of technology!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk