Blue Iris/Deepstack not detecting motion at night

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pepper spray or bear spray can be effective, but inside don't disable yourself with the overspray! That ain't fun at all!
I love to eat super hot peppers and talk gibberish for 20 minutes while drooling all over the place and/or rolling on the floor. But that high of a percentage of pure capsicum oleoresin… forget that!

if he breaks into the basement he’s screwed. There’s no entry to the living areas anymore. Unless you’re the hulk or you got tools. I’ll just wait for him to come back out of the basement door. Pepper spray and taser time!

if he comes back to the door he was at last night, that’s when I’ll have the boom stick in my hands as I did last night.

He asked me if Martha hunt lived here last night instead of identifying himself. I thought for sure the guy was about to kick the door in at any second. He left when I told him to. Had my shotgun the whole time ready to rip. It will be the same thing tonight.

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am having the hardest time trying to understand how to make day and night schedules for bi where it will switch between schedules, profiles, deepstack and dark.pt model. Is there a tutorial on how to do this, or any part of this? I have tried to google stuff like "switch between day night schedules blue iris" and "automatically switch deepstack to custom model" but I cannot find anything useful. I have read the help file about schedules and profiles but I am still not understanding how to make a day and night profile and then getting BI to switch between them. Ive been at this for about 3 hours now and i feel like it shouldn't be taking me this long to do this. :drool:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try this video, although it was well before Deepstack. But all you do then is go into each camera and select Day profile and tell it which custom models to use and then do the same for night.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The first step, to me anyway, is to use the Sunrise/Sunset utility to swicth the cameras from day to night profiles. That assumes you have Dahua cameras though. That makes sure the cameras are on the right profiles at the right time as the first step.

Sunrise/Sunset Utility

The nest step is to go into the config of BI, the gear icon on the extreme upper left of the console. It can be a little confusing and I haven't fooled with it since I set it up originally, but I'll give you what I remember. Click on the Schedule tab. Make sure you enter your co-ordinates, latitude and longitude, so sunrise and sunset will automatically adjust through the year. Then click on the days area until all are bolded. You can then drag them to where you want them, relative to sunrise and sunset. Also check the box for relative to sunrise and sunset and set an offset to your preferences. That should do it.

If you get stuck, I'll makes and post some screen caps for you. You can also click on the help button on any of those tabs for the BI help sections.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of info here: Blue Iris Support - YouTube

First thing, make sure you are recording 24/7 so you don't miss anything of importance.
You might consider just strictly recording 24/7 and not worry about Deepstack or motion recording for the time being, what you need is evidence. It won't take long to scrub through a recording to find an important element.

I would stop messing/ worrying with Deep stack until you can get reliable motion triggers with just BI. Bi motion detection can be very good all by it's self when properly tuned.

Reduce Min Contrast instead of Min Object Size. You need to do this with an assistant that is walking around in the target area while you are adjusting and observing.

Try these night settings in BI,
1645985425387.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You might want to consider something like this:
So you get notification of someone in your yard before he gets to the house. The goal is to keep him out if possible.

Make sure the door jambs and lock plates are strengthened with 3" long screws. It really doesn't take much to kick in standard installed doors.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try this video, although it was well before Deepstack. But all you do then is go into each camera and select Day profile and tell it which custom models to use and then do the same for night.

The first step, to me anyway, is to use the Sunrise/Sunset utility to swicth the cameras from day to night profiles. That assumes you have Dahua cameras though. That makes sure the cameras are on the right profiles at the right time as the first step.

Sunrise/Sunset Utility

The nest step is to go into the config of BI, the gear icon on the extreme upper left of the console. It can be a little confusing and I haven't fooled with it since I set it up originally, but I'll give you what I remember. Click on the Schedule tab. Make sure you enter your co-ordinates, latitude and longitude, so sunrise and sunset will automatically adjust through the year. Then click on the days area until all are bolded. You can then drag them to where you want them, relative to sunrise and sunset. Also check the box for relative to sunrise and sunset and set an offset to your preferences. That should do it.

If you get stuck, I'll makes and post some screen caps for you. You can also click on the help button on any of those tabs for the BI help sections.
Thanks guys, I finally figured out how to make schedules. I was way overcomplicating that.

How/where are you telling bi to use a custom module? I am looking at the artificial intelligence settings in the trigger tab. I only see an option to override the server and the input text field for the server address.

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lots of info here: Blue Iris Support - YouTube

First thing, make sure you are recording 24/7 so you don't miss anything of importance.
You might consider just strictly recording 24/7 and not worry about Deepstack or motion recording for the time being, what you need is evidence. It won't take long to scrub through a recording to find an important element.

I would stop messing/ worrying with Deep stack until you can get reliable motion triggers with just BI. Bi motion detection can be very good all by it's self when properly tuned.

Reduce Min Contrast instead of Min Object Size. You need to do this with an assistant that is walking around in the target area while you are adjusting and observing.

Try these night settings in BI,
View attachment 120231
You might want to consider something like this:
So you get notification of someone in your yard before he gets to the house. The goal is to keep him out if possible.

Make sure the door jambs and lock plates are strengthened with 3" long screws. It really doesn't take much to kick in standard installed doors.
Thank you for the suggestions and screenshots of your settings. I will send my wife out in the yard later this evening and we will be messing with the contrast instead of the object size as you have recommended.

I had no idea a product like the one linked existed. I am going to look more into those for sure. My driveway is more than 4x the length of the average driveway. I am sitting on 25 acres. I just wonder if it will transmit well through hardie board siding? Not much does.

I am also going to stop by the hardware store and get some better screws now after watching that video.

Thanks again for everyone's time, and great suggestions. This thread has been very helpful to me in several ways now and I've learned a bunch of new stuff. :)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Random thoughts:
Make sure you understand the laws regarding self defense in your jurisdiction so you hopefully don't become a target of an overzealous DA.
Don't take legal advice from the Police.
Absolutely. Virginia is a terrible state for self defense these days. Unless you are the police (or work for the executive branch in some way).

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In each camera go to the Trigger tab, Artificial Intelligence. Set the objects you want to detect in the top box. Set the models you want to use in the "models" box. It is not necessary to select full resolution for detection because BI downsizes the resolution so that DS can actually handle it. I usually tick the box for "use leading motion" but that depends on the camera, view and testing. Remember you need to say OK, then change to the next schedule you use and go through the whole process again for that scheduled time period. It needs to be done for each camera, on an individual basis.

Again, if you get stuck, I'll make and post screen caps to clarify.

Technically speaking, we all work for the "Executive Branch". We work for the money that they take in taxes to waste on "woke" projects for example.

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In each camera go to the Trigger tab, Artificial Intelligence. Set the objects you want to detect in the top box. Set the models you want to use in the "models" box. It is not necessary to select full resolution for detection because BI downsizes the resolution so that DS can actually handle it. I usually tick the box for "use leading motion" but that depends on the camera, view and testing. Remember you need to say OK, then change to the next schedule you use and go through the whole process again for that scheduled time period. It needs to be done for each camera, on an individual basis.

Again, if you get stuck, I'll make and post screen caps to clarify.

Technically speaking, we all work for the "Executive Branch". We work for the money that they take in taxes to waste on "woke" projects for example.
In the text area for custom model, do you paste the path to the model, or just enter the model name?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just the model name(s), like this for example -

objects:0,combined,dark

The path is set in the main configuration for BI under AI.

Be aware that everything is case sensitive and spaces aren't permitted. Model names need to exactly match the file name so check how you saved them before you enter them on the camera AI tabs. The above example stops DS from using the built-in objects, objects:0, and uses both the combined and dark models.

During the day I use this -

objects:0,combined

This keeps CPU and GPU utilization at a minimum and produces very fast detection time, typically in the 50-100ms range using the GPU version of DS.

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just the model name(s), like this for example -

objects:0,combined,dark

The path is set in the main configuration for BI under AI.

Be aware that everything is case sensitive and spaces aren't permitted. Model names need to exactly match the file name so check how you saved them before you enter them on the camera AI tabs. The above example stops DS from using the built-in objects, objects:0, and uses both the combined and dark models.

During the day I use this -

objects:0,combined

This keeps CPU and GPU utilization at a minimum and produces very fast detection time, typically in the 50-100ms range using the GPU version of DS.
what is objects:0 and combined? behind objects, is that where you would tell it what to detect?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Since a picture's worth a thousand words, here's a book for you. I grabbed these just before I started collecting all the crap I need for tax time so you got lucky :rofl:

The objects you want to detect go in the "To confirm" box. Entries are separated by commas with NO SPACES between the objects. The "objects:0" entry goes in the "Models" box and prevents DS from using the default model that is built into it. This reduces detection time significantly since not many people have elephants, giraffes or zebras running around their property.

My global AI settings in Control Panel > AI. Note the highlights for the model directory and that I have unchecked "default object detection" because I don't want to scan for elephants and zebras or any of the other esoteric stuff in the built in model. The C:\DeepStack\models directory has dark.pt and combined.pt in it which are the two models I use exclusively.

global ai.JPG

Here's the "trick" for setting up profiles for day and night. "Work hours" is my daytime profile for all cameras, whether they use DS or not.

work hours.JPG

Here's the "Artificial Intelligence" settings. Notice that I am specifying what objects I want detected in the "To confirm" box. Also note I still have the "Custom models" set to dis-include "objects" to prevent the built in model being used and I specify the "combined" model.

work hours ai.JPG

Here's the next profile for night time.

active.JPG

Here's the Artificial Intelligence setting for night time. The only real difference between it and "Work hours" is the addition of the "dark" model in the "Custom models" box.

active ai.JPG

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs Thank you!! That helped a lot for me to understand what I needed to do.

So the suspect never came back to the property. The captain of the sheriffs office told me on feb 26 he knows who the suspect is in the video. At this time the sheriffs office will not release the name and address of the suspect to me so that I may proceed with trespassing criminal complaint and protective order at the magistrates office. Since when does law enforcement protect the criminal from the victim?

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
also i noticed that you unchecked "use mainstream if available." Does that only record trigger events in substream?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Using main stream isn't necessary because Blue Iris has to "downsize" the images it sends to DeepStack for analysis far below 1MP, let lone 4 or 8MP. To me, it just adds overhead to the CPU by making processing of the snapshot take longer.

Now, the PC and "woke" thing to do is to protect the criminal from the victim, sort of shift the blame for the bad actions of the criminal onto the victim. You need to keep up with the latest "woke" philosophies :rofl: