Blue Iris and CodeProject.AI ALPR

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CodeProject.AI version 2.0 was released Jan 16, 2023 with my ALPR module, this thread is for all topic CodeProject.AI ALPR.

To setup the ALPR you need one of the Object Detection module's and License Plate Reader module installed, You need to be on the current version of Blue Iris, below are my BI AI settings

1674790165523.png
1674790354373.png
1674790484362.png
1674790541379.jpeg
1674790592857.jpeg

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I need to go down the rabbit hole now.

Are the captured plate numbers stored somewhere?

sp3ctre

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm having good results getting BI to work with ALPR and then getting BI to pass the JSON to my upstream system. I am however having a lot of issues with it confusing a number 1 to letter I, and some issues with M and W. I think I saw something a week or so ago about an update coming that would address that sort of thing, is that the case? If that could get fixed then the solution is fantastic.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@MikeLud1 I posted this on the CP.AI yesterday. So far no replies. I'd really like to test this, any thoughts? The screen shot below is what happens when I try and start the CP.AI service.

I've been running 2.0.2 successfully. However, with the new Blue Iris release, I have tried to upgrade to 2.0.6. The installation is successful, but the service will not start. I really need help getting this to work because I would like to use the latest version and take advantage of ALPR. I can roll back and reinstall 2.0.2 and everything works as expected, I have no idea why 2.0.6 doesn't work.

Tried a "Repair" and that didn't resolve it.

I'm happy to do a remote session with someone who can help get this resolved. Thank you!

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@MikeLud1 I posted this on the CP.AI yesterday. So far no replies. I'd really like to test this, any thoughts? The screen shot below is what happens when I try and start the CP.AI service.

I've been running 2.0.2 successfully. However, with the new Blue Iris release, I have tried to upgrade to 2.0.6. The installation is successful, but the service will not start. I really need help getting this to work because I would like to use the latest version and take advantage of ALPR. I can roll back and reinstall 2.0.2 and everything works as expected, I have no idea why 2.0.6 doesn't work.

Tried a "Repair" and that didn't resolve it.

I'm happy to do a remote session with someone who can help get this resolved. Thank you!

Most likely they are going to release a new version today, lets see if this version fixes your issue.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Most likely they are going to release a new version today, lets see if this version fixes your issue.
Thanks Mike, the really odd thing is that I can't upgrade to any version beyond 2.0.2.

AlphaBlueIris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mike great documentation, thank you. After I upgraded to the latest blueiris with codeproject 2.6 I get messages, ai not responding and ai timeout. Any tips? It was working fine before I upgraded. I'm using CPU on codeproject.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

AlphaBlueIris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
By the way, the previous release was recognizing the plate but it did not do OCR on it, any special settings?

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mike great documentation, thank you. After I upgraded to the latest blueiris with codeproject 2.6 I get messages, ai not responding and ai timeout. Any tips? It was working fine before I upgraded. I'm using CPU on codeproject.

Try doing a full reboot, sometimes BI does not read the model list until a full reboot.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How do I get Blue Iris to watch for a specific plate number and take action if it is detected?
@brcarls You can configure BI5 to run a local program or script in "On alert..." Your script would encapsulate the if-then logic you require.

If you have Home Assistant (or similar home automation platform), BI5 can send that event with &PLATE value via HTTP or MQTT. Then in Home Assistant, you can configure an automation to do whatever you want, including controlling lights, sirens, etc...

Home Assistant automation would be more configurable since you can add additional conditions and/or other triggers like time of day, alarm system status as part of the logic for taking action.

brcarls

n3wb
Reaction score
@actran Thanks, I have been wanting to play with Home Assistant. I had hoped BI could do it solo by somehow putting the plate number in the "to confirm" or "to cancel" fields in the AI settings.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@brcarls Home Assistant is great. It's the right place to do automation when your trigger condition becomes more complex, and it's where you can easily integrate with your smart lights and other home devices. For example, I trigger different types of audio alerts based on time of day + person/vehicle detection + other sensors.

Unrelated note, there is also some face recognition you can try called Double Take that integrates with Home Assistant. The challenge with face detection for me is having an easy way to select/de-select new faces for training. Double Take is good for that.