Blue Iris and CodeProject.AI ALPR

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@MikeLud1 As a test, I disabled the license-plate model to see how much RAM is used by the GPU compared to when it is enabled. Confirms what you said about my lack of GPU memory.

1675260036269.png
1675260064182.png

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't have BI but for this I'm wiling to buy it assuming this LPR functionality is not planned to be a subscription type feature once it is out of beta?

I'm assuming this won't work with a standalone dahua NVR (even if i can have a Windows/Linux server to pull the RTSP stream from the camera?)

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also is a GPU mandatory? what's the minimum I would need?

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It looks like it is a memory issue. I can make a lite version of the ALPR module that I hope can run on GPUs like yours. I will work with Chris from CP.AI to get one made or have the option to change to run as a lite version.
View attachment 152669
@MikeLud1 , just FYI I'm also running a P400 w/ 2GB ram, and lpr is working fine... ~100msec return for lpr. So it must be something else at play. My PC also has 32gb ram... 16gb of which is shared with the gpu. Python processes with lpr, ipcam-combined, license-plates, and deliveries runs up to 12GB or so... system ram though.

Last edited:

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't have BI but for this I'm wiling to buy it assuming this LPR functionality is not planned to be a subscription type feature once it is out of beta?

I'm assuming this won't work with a standalone dahua NVR (even if i can have a Windows/Linux server to pull the RTSP stream from the camera?)
I'm pretty sure the main motivation for cpai lpr is to get lpr completely local, without online subscriptions etc. So it would be a 180 if that changed. Also CPAI and the models I believe are all open source. So we probably won't see that side of the code pry any $ from our wallets. BI is proprietary, and I suppose they could lop lpr off and charge monthly for it. However I doubt that would happen, since as is cpai is not as good as License Recognizer online anyways.

If you can pull RTSP from your NVR or cameras, then yeah it should work. BI doesn't care where the stream is coming from as long as it works. I pull streams from a single camera with multiple clients simultaneously all the time. You may need to change your cam codecs to a basic flavor (plain 264 or 265) if they are now using smart or + or whatever.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the main motivation for cpai lpr is to get lpr completely local, without online subscriptions etc. So it would be a 180 if that changed. Also CPAI and the models I believe are all open source. So we probably won't see that side of the code pry any $ from our wallets. BI is proprietary, and I suppose they could lop lpr off and charge monthly for it. However I doubt that would happen, since as is cpai is not as good as License Recognizer online anyways.

If you can pull RTSP from your NVR or cameras, then yeah it should work. BI doesn't care where the stream is coming from as long as it works. I pull streams from a single camera with multiple clients simultaneously all the time. You may need to change your cam codecs to a basic flavor (plain 264 or 265) if they are now using smart or + or whatever.
Sooooo....I tried CodeProject on a computer that I rarely give internet access to.

Gave it internet access to install CodeProject and tested it with the sample images that come with the install. Works, but I felt slower and way more bloated than Deepstack.

Then I took away the internet.

CodeProject started spitting out errors in the log and it wouldn't identify the sample pictures anymore.

Gave it internet access and it started working again...the errors went away and it could identify the sample images.

So much for it being a local solution.

This leads me to believe that it could be sold at some point and then those on it are screwed as it won't truly work locally.

My concern is the whole flashy webpage and userface and feel and what not for CodeProject that leads me to believe this is an initiative those folks started with the hope that someone buys them out and then it becomes a paid service. Kind of like what OpenALPR did and now we have to pay $8 per camera per month when Rekor bought it. Deepstack on the other hand has been around awhile and really looked like a grassroots hobby community and as such would be less likely to be attractive to a company wanting to get into AI (and it works without internet connection). I might be wrong and hopefully I am wrong, but it just has that feel of being a startup hoping to get bought out by an Apple or Google or some other entity looking to get into AI. Maybe Rekor will buy it LOL.

Maybe someone can wireshark it something to try to figure out what is going on.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mike, just FYI I'm also running a P400 w/ 2GB ram, and lpr is working fine... ~100msec return for lpr. So it must be something else at play. My PC also has 32gb ram... 16gb of which is shared with the gpu. Python processes with lpr, ipcam-combined, license-plates, and deliveries runs up to 12GB or so... system ram though.
Can you post a screenshot after running nvidia-smi, like in the below post

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No prob...

Untitled.jpg

I do have that warning, but sleep is disabled... so I'm just ignoring it lol.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@wittaj, I'm not a new member, but definitely haven't been keeping up with the scene like you all. That sucks for me to hear, but I get it. I am not much of a networking guy, but I have used wireshark in the past. If time allows I'll try to dig in to this a bit.

If Rekor or someone else comes along and buys cpai... I hope at least someone maintains an open fork for BI... otherwise BI may need to string deepstack along for insurance.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm... I just tested this on my system and everything still worked after disconnecting from the internet.
Give it a little more time. It wasn't immediate, but it was shortly thereafter.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's been disconnected for 15 minutes and CPAI is still processing motion from all my cameras.
Maybe mine would be an anomaly? And if so why?

I had uninstalled and reinstalled in the event something got messed up in the installation, but both times it throws up errors once it doesn't have an internet connection.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe mine would be an anomaly? And if so why?

I had uninstalled and reinstalled in the event something got messed up in the installation, but both times it throws up errors once it doesn't have an internet connection.
Not sure, but I have CPAI installed on two machines and both of them seem to be working fine without an internet connection.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure, but I have CPAI installed on two machines and both of them seem to be working fine without an internet connection.
That would be great news! Hopefully someone else can try it as well. And I will try to figure out why mine is doing this.

If it is a truly local platform, then if they did sell as long as someone didn't update, they could use that version for as long as they like.