Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When an update fails all you need to do is stop BI manually with task manager and then run the update file with BI closed.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I tried that BP - but it hangs "not responding". Going for a system reboot.

On an aside, has anyone had any issues with the console images freezing and not refreshing? BI is running, but it's like the screen isn't redrawing images. I get half-boxes and partial dialog boxes. Very screwy. Closing console and reopening it resolves it for about a minute - then it happens again.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, no, I did have a camera sort of get stuck maximized and I had to kill the BI service to fix it, but only once.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hmm, no, I did have a camera sort of get stuck maximized and I had to kill the BI service to fix it, but only once.
I think I have other issues unique to my system. I'm running headless using VNC, and whenever I stop the BI service, the PC disconnects from VNC for about 2 min. It comes back up where it was (i.e. it didn't reboot) but I don't know why BI service would have any effect on the VNC connection.

And when the connection restores, most of the text on system dialog boxes (i.e. file explorer, task manager) disappear. In fact, I have to reboot to get a usable system again. Very frustrating. I think I need to start from scratch. I hate Win10. NEver had these issues with Win7. FWIW< it did this with V4 too.

upload_2019-6-3_9-54-38.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If your system is heavily loaded using intel hardware acceleration it could be experiencing a bug where it takes ages for BI to shut down all the camera streams, and during this time the system is basically maxed out and not very responsive. My BiUpdateHelper tool (version 1.6.3.1 and older) has a mechanism to detect this and kill the BI processes when it happens. The rate of this happening went down (for me) last year so the latest BiUpdateHelper release doesn't check for it anymore but it does still happen sometimes.

Last edited:

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is the best way to remove BI4 after upgrading? If I use the Windows 10 setting,apps, it says it will remove everything and I believe I need to keep setting and such.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
During the BI4 uninstall it will ask if you want to also remove settings and registration. That is where you tell it no.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It never asked me, at least I didn't notice it. Version 5 is up and running for 2 days now and ios plus ui3 working fine. A little hiccup when I tried to upgrade to .44 (says I'm not connected to internet, I am) ran it with the update file and all good. I'm a little leary of uninstalling 4 with what I have been reading.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Opps, just reread your post. So when I use the Windows 10 uninstall it will ask?

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So after the prompt to remove the program and all of it's features, there will be a second prompt about settings and registration?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
So after the prompt to remove the program and all of it's features, there will be a second prompt about settings and registration?
to be honest, don't be in a hurry to uninstall BI4....the keep setting and license thing just don't work for me . If you do...be sure to export your perspective key in the registry just in case to fall back on.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If your system is heavily loaded using intel hardware acceleration it could be experiencing a bug where it takes ages for BI to shut down all the camera streams, and during this time the system is basically maxed out and not very responsive. My BiUpdateHelper tool (version 1.6.3.1 and older) has a mechanism to detect this and kill the BI processes when it happens. The rate of this happening went down (for me) last year so the latest BiUpdateHelper release doesn't check for it anymore but it does still happen sometimes.
I think that's exactly what's causing the VNC freeze. After it came back up from stopping the service, I saw that 3/4 of the task manager CPU graph was pegged at 100%.

I've been researching the missing text in explorer and from icon name, and it does appear to be a Win10 issue with no specific solution (other than trying about 10 different things, the last being a full system wipe). I'm not at that point yet.

However, when running task manager's performance tab, with the console up, I can see that the intel GPU is about 25% - so not terribly taxed during normal operation. I just wish I knew how to troubleshoot the freezing console video and dialog boxes. It makes configuring BI5 nearly impossible. I sent a note to Ken, but I'm sure he's beyond eyeballs deep in other more important issues.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
to be honest, don't be in a hurry to uninstall BI4....the keep setting and license thing just don't work for me . If you do...be sure to export your perspective key in the registry just in case to fall back on.
^^^^THIS! I'd recommend to go to the registry and export the perspective key anyway as it can be imported directly into the registry, where the BI4 might not.

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone successfully uninstalled BI4 without losing all their settings yet? I've got BI5 up and running without issue (that I can tell), but I haven't uninstalled BI4 yet.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Does anyone have an issue with event schedules not kicking in when they're supposed to? I have a camera that is scheduled to turn IR off at a given time. I can toggle the IR manually through BI, so I know the parms are correct for the control. But when the specific time arrives, BI does not initiate the change.

Edited to add... screw it. I'm gonna give Ken time to get this ironed out. I had 3-4 unexpected restarts on BI just this AM. It may be entirely my fault, but for now, I'm very content with the last iteration of BI4.

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Be sure to add your new BI5 file location to your anti-virus exclusion list as well.

gsterling

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. I uninstalled BI4 and as far as I can tell didn't lose any of my settings. That said backup your settings first just in case!

Anyone successfully uninstalled BI4 without losing all their settings yet? I've got BI5 up and running without issue (that I can tell), but I haven't uninstalled BI4 yet.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone have an issue with event schedules not kicking in when they're supposed to? I have a camera that is scheduled to turn IR off at a given time. I can toggle the IR manually through BI, so I know the parms are correct for the control. But when the specific time arrives, BI does not initiate the change.
Same for me. Scheduled IR doesn’t work when it’s set to but manually works just fine.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. I uninstalled BI4 and as far as I can tell didn't lose any of my settings. That said backup your settings first just in case!
Ditto to both of these. Installed 5 yesterday, removed 4. No problems so far.