BIG Owl on my Trail

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Pack is Back! This is my capture of 4 since about August. And doesn't even include Stumpy, the short-tailed female that I also haven't seen in awhile:

I like how 2 of them pick up the scent at the same spot, give or take, and both then backtrack to precisely the same point, but no one picks up the scent as they go by what 2 of them track back to.

I have to wonder how many times this will happen, and there will be those times in which the scent goes cold because a raptor or owl swooped in and snatched it. Maybe an animal scared shitless leaves a fear pheromone trail behind.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I put my Amcrest turret cam up yesterday for my nesting Great horned owls! Iam elated about my great footage of my owls this morning. I'm not sure how to set the audio settings yet. Here's this morning's videos. The Dahua is by my roof eve and the second is the Amcrest turret cam looking down into the barrel. The male flies in first and the male does some gular calls, and you can hear the female calling from afar. The male's hoot is much lower sounding than the female. The female joins him on the barrel rim, and they hoot back and forth. Then the male flies off. Here's the Dahua: and here's the Amcrest turret cam: enjoy! Here's my live view cams- www.okiebirdcam.com

Wow, I didn't realize turret cams can focus that closely. Perfect solution! Great captures. I recall finding your videos last year when I was looking to get into nature recording etc.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That would do it.

Search here for NetTime. Easy to set up and works well.

May need to open UDP port 123 in the firewall on the machine where it's running. Also check in the services list that Win32Time isn't running on that computer. If so, disable it.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^^
Ah, I just discovered that I already have one on my pfsense router. I just needed to turn it on. Now I can go back to denying the camera a default gateway.

Are there any other essential services that I'd need to provide locally, for cameras that I don't allow to get out of my LAN?

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The coyotes were in a hurry to get somewhere!

The clock sync is wayyyy off on my rightmost camera, despite I have NTP turned on on all 3 cameras. :idk:

Couple young studs, who if anything like my local foxes, are primed and ready to go this time of year. The escalation I'm seeing at my site in terms of turf wars, aggression and the lot, all due to hormones and the drive for mates, territory, den sites, and food is at a yearly high.

Your 2 bros are cruising for gals. :love:

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Couple young studs, who if anything like my local foxes, are primed and ready to go this time of year. The escalation I'm seeing at my site in terms of turf wars, aggression and the lot, all due to hormones and the drive for mates, territory, den sites, and food is at a yearly high.

Your 2 bros are cruising for gals. :love:
What a coincidence! I'm cruising for cougars!!! :rofl:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
^^
Ah, I just discovered that I already have one on my pfsense router. I just needed to turn it on. Now I can go back to denying the camera a default gateway.

Are there any other essential services that I'd need to provide locally, for cameras that I don't allow to get out of my LAN?
Not that I can think of as far as general utility servers. Less is more in this case. There are other things that you could do locally like name server to resolve host names. FTP server, SMTP server, key servers, etc. Not necessary in most cases. Don't bother unless you really need. Assuming that you already have a VPN server in some form for remote access. Need that. Also a centralized ad/host blocker for the network is great to have. Pfsense should have both.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is this the time of the year they start breading? I saw two coyote's a possum a fox and two raccoons. I am surprised you don't have deer.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Kind of surprised too. Mine is standard suburbia extending forever here. Deer and fox all over. The usual raccoons, opossum, owls, hawks, and other assorted critters. A few resident black bears rarely seen. No coyotes though. Some rumored to be around but never see or hear any. Guess east and west are different as that goes.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The House Finches Are Back for 2022!

About half of last year's nest is missing, so they'll have to rebuild. But it looks like they've moving in!

Mom spent 10 minutes in the nest yesterday, doing some poking around and a moving a little bit of the existing nest material around. Dad stopped by briefly to say, "Looks good, Honey. Keep working."

Then today Mom brought in some new material. They're a few weeks behind relative to last year, but there's no rush.

This is a Wyze Cam v3, refocused to about 6", with the perpetually-beta RTSP firmware, recorded in BI. I am also pushing it to one of my YouTube channels, but there's not much going on right now.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I posted finch video on mt OK Ornithology Society page because I thought your birds looked different than ours in OK. I guess over 200 birders looked at your video and only hit like. So, I guess they are house finch, just like you said :) I was thinking Cassin's Finch. So, a lot of OK birders watched your video :) enjoyed watching :)

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pretty sure these are House Finches. There’s no tufting on the male’s head, and the male’s coloring isn’t as brilliant as on a Cassin’s.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pretty sure these are House Finches. There’s no tufting on the male’s head, and the male’s coloring isn’t as brilliant as on a Cassin’s.
Yes you know what birds are in your area. In OK the bill is a bit stubbier. I wasn't sure how true the coloring was on the video, so I wasn't going by color. Thank you!