bidens incredible transition to electric cars

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
HgkkhgvviughigvihgvKansasEV.jpg

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I read that article and was pretty confused. They said that they are delaying closure of the coal plant, then go on to say they are delaying converting the plant to NG. So it was never going to be closed, just converted? I don't really get the reporting or the power situation, I guess they can't shut it down for a few years to convert it to make it NG? Sounds like poor planning

I did find the quote in the article funny

Rep. Cyrus Western (R-Wyo.) said much the same to Cowboy State Daily, stating that "kilowatts don't just fall out of the sky."

Someone needs to teach him how solar panels work, because yeah, they do just fall out of the sky :lmao:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What did the article say is the electrical consumption of the battery plant?

The previous company I worked for was the single biggest consumer of electricity, natural gas, and water (among other things like liquid nitrogen and sulfuric acid) in the city. The monthly power bill alone was $5M. They made silicon wafers.

Regarding solar, it's a diffuse and unreliable source of energy. The grid can't really accomodate more than about 20% without imposing large costs to incorporate more diffuse and unreliable power. Anecdotally, my solar production is 1/5th in the winter when I consume the most electricity compared to late spring when I consume the least.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The industry started on the wrong end of the vehicle segment to develop a hybrid. They should have known better seeing how trains are hybrids.
Oh, Hell no.
"Why would we want to do anything that takes a little research, a little planning. Just flip open a children's picture book of trains of the 50's and 60's and see the venerable workhorse Diesel-electrics of the day that can still hold their own today. Instead, we want to re-invent the wheel because....well....because we're stupid, that's why."

</end sarcasm>

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, Hell no.
"Why would we want to do anything that takes a little research, a little planning. Just flip open a children's picture book of trains of the 50's and 60's and see the venerable workhorse Diesel-electrics of the day that can still hold their own today. Instead, we want to re-invent the wheel because....well....because we're stupid, that's why."

</end sarcasm>
I'd kill for a Diesel-electric F150

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
What did the article say is the electrical consumption of the battery plant?

The previous company I worked for was the single biggest consumer of electricity, natural gas, and water (among other things like liquid nitrogen and sulfuric acid) in the city. The monthly power bill alone was $5M. They made silicon wafers.

Regarding solar, it's a diffuse and unreliable source of energy. The grid can't really accomodate more than about 20% without imposing large costs to incorporate more diffuse and unreliable power. Anecdotally, my solar production is 1/5th in the winter when I consume the most electricity compared to late spring when I consume the least.
Was nowhere to be found, sadly. At least in all the ones I found. Its a giant factory, so I'm sure its quite a lot

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
One can't make this stuff up....

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @redpoint5! Came out great

The Emporia EVSE has a weird location for conduit, its only on the bottom, no way to get it in the back without drilling a hole which would be a code violation. And, for some reason its 1-1/4 inch, huge! Really only need 3/4. So I adapted down to 1 inch with a reducer

I figured no matter what I'd need an LB or junction box to get through the wall in a neat way, so I got a nice lever disconnect. This also helps if I ever replace it, I never need to mess with the home run wiring, just the wiring from the disconnect. Pretty happy with the outcome

I still need to support the PVC, perhaps with some unistrut. I'll work that out soon. Its on a 60a breaker with 6 AWG THHN

1696811533237.jpeg

1696811538106.jpeg

1696811556123.jpeg

1696811561215.jpeg

1696811565762.jpeg

1696811576238.jpeg

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
First time I've needed to charge. Its really crazy how much cheaper this is
If you do your charging at home and don't venture further than the EV's range, it's really a win. If you live in an apartment or take a road trip, there are all sorts of things you can't control that can ruin your day, and the lack of competition for charging stations provides no incentive to hold down the price to use it. To see the future, look no further than the bait-and-switch with rooftop solar in California after it reached critical mass.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
This is our second vehicle, I'd bet it never sees a public charging station

I see new chargers popping up all over the place here in Houston, I have high hopes for big expansion. But I would like a standardized method of payment etc. This "Needing an app for everything" is so stupid

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you do your charging at home and don't venture further than the EV's range, it's really a win. If you live in an apartment or take a road trip, there are all sorts of things you can't control that can ruin your day, and the lack of competition for charging stations provides no incentive to hold down the price to use it. To see the future, look no further than the bait-and-switch with rooftop solar in California after it reached critical mass.
You're in Oregon. We've got super cheap electricity and super expensive gas. EVs make a ton of sense as a 2nd vehicle here.

Rooftop solar has nothing to do with EVs. CA obviously has regressive policy considering their electricity is among the most expensive in the nation AND their gas. They are determined to circle the toilet. Oregon is envious of how efficiently CA flushes down the drain.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Texas is trying to follow suite, we got some backwards solar rules after Abbot decided that renewable energy was at fault for the 2021 Freeze Problems (Despite the vast majority of the grid being NG and failing)