bidens incredible transition to electric cars

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
That tire isn't a directional tire, is it?
Unsure, I never checked. For a spare its a non issue

The last spare I kept at home for the car that replaced it was directional, and from my extensive googling, it seems it doesn't matter. Tire Rack compared some tires on a track with no problem

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Poor UAW and the rest of US. This electric car scam and now the strike will
destroy a lot of middle class. Whether they know it or not, the SCABS are flooding
in to take a lot of jobs... for cheap!

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
You guys are going to have to get used to me spewing the pro EV stuff, I'm a convert.

Needed gas for my truck today, first time since we got the EV. Everyone at the gas station is just hanging around. I have to wait for a pump, eventually they decide to get back in their car and leave. The pump is the SLOWEST PUMP IN THE WORLD and I end up needing 28 gallons to get to full (F150 with the optional 36 Gallon tank, love it). It takes forever, and ends up costing $88. All the while I have to listen to the stupid ads they display on the pump.

To get the same amount of range in the Mach-E (Of course more efficient because its not shaped like a brick) it would cost me about $10 in electric. The Mach-E even has more torque than my F150...

I kind of feel like I'm driving something that belongs in a museum. Just a shame the F150 Lightning has such a short range. Would be awesome if they made it a plug in hybrid, so you could still fuel up for a long trip. Its just so much easier plugging it in, in the garage, once a week

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You guys are going to have to get used to me spewing the pro EV stuff, I'm a convert.

Needed gas for my truck today, first time since we got the EV. Everyone at the gas station is just hanging around. I have to wait for a pump, eventually they decide to get back in their car and leave. The pump is the SLOWEST PUMP IN THE WORLD and I end up needing 28 gallons to get to full (F150 with the optional 36 Gallon tank, love it). It takes forever, and ends up costing $88. All the while I have to listen to the stupid ads they display on the pump.

To get the same amount of range in the Mach-E (Of course more efficient because its not shaped like a brick) it would cost me about $10 in electric. The Mach-E even has more torque than my F150...

I kind of feel like I'm driving something that belongs in a museum. Just a shame the F150 Lightning has such a short range. Would be awesome if they made it a plug in hybrid, so you could still fuel up for a long trip. Its just so much easier plugging it in, in the garage, once a week
2025 Ford Ranger. Though not for the U.S.A. :)

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just a shame the F150 Lightning has such a short range. Would be awesome if they made it a plug in hybrid, so you could still fuel up for a long trip. Its just so much easier plugging it in, in the garage, once a week
I've been saying for an eternity now that a plug-in truck or large SUV would be perfect.

The first hybrid was the Honda Insight, and it gets nearly the same fuel economy regardless if the battery works or not because the car is so small that hybrid technology doesn't really matter.

Where you get the biggest returns is on large vehicles where lots of power is needed for acceleration, and you want to recover all that energy when slowing down with regen braking. Doubling the fuel economy of an efficient car doesn't save nearly as much as doubling the efficiency of an inefficient vehicle. Taking a truck from 15 MPG to 30 means way more savings than taking a 30 MPG car up to 60.

The industry started on the wrong end of the vehicle segment to develop a hybrid. They should have known better seeing how trains are hybrids.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Just remember those assholes that are pushing this physics defying Bull Shit,
ride trains in states that are no more than 50 miles wide! No wonder they
can getaway with goofy pipe dreams!
Try driving from Texarkana to El Paso on 1 battery. :rofl: :rofl:

One may never beat the power density of petroleum for transportation.
Then again %90 Nitro-methane and 90 PSI will get a Top Fuel car down 1K feet in
a little under 4 seconds.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd probably never do that trip in this EV, but if we had to it looks fine. Adds a few hours, but I don't think I'd ever drive 12 hours without a break anyway. Google maps with no charges shows near 12 hours

Of course, I'd have to fill up with gas once or twice too

1695700689137.png

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I average about 4hrs between stops when I'm going long distances, and when I do stop, it's for ~5min if for gas and bathroom, or ~10min if I'm getting food too.

I'd be willing to wait 20 minutes to charge, but the problem is you can't drive another 4 hours on a 15 minute charge.

In a multi-car family, just take the gasser on long trips. If I was single and only had an EV, I'd just trade cars with a friend if I wanted to travel long distance. I offered my Prius all the time to friends wanting to go on a road trip. Costs practically nothing in gas.

I'm told this is the best EV route planner.

ABRP

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I drove a VW Rabbit for a time. One learns quickly to dodge big Grasshoppers let alone
F-150s. Sure 27 MPG was not worth it. I'll take the hit of a land yacht any day!

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I drive a lot for work. Here is my 2022 travel map. My work pickup has a tracker that starts recording whenever the truck starts moving.

Road Trips.jpg

Two weeks ago I had a job in southeast Georgia. I left Nebraska and made it to northwest Georgia the first day. 890 miles. Stopping only once to make room for more coffee. The Cummins truck will get 19-20 mpg even with an ATV in the back and with a 52 gallon diesel tank, I can go all day.

It will be a long time before an electric pickup will meet my needs.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I drive a lot for work...

It will be a long time before an electric pickup will meet my needs.
I don't drive often for work, but when I do, it can be 800 miles through Idaho and Montana. You don't want range anxiety going up a mountain pass in a near whiteout and -25 temperature.

I went with a gasser for a work car instead of the EV I'd like to own someday.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, those are the best nozzles!
The best part about those nozzles is you can empty 5 gallons and never spill a single drop. Try that with one of those spring loaded press-down nozzles, hold the can in the air and try to squeeze it, as the plastic nozzle snaps off or cracks, spilling a gallon of gas all over you and whatever you were trying to fill up. I had a slew of broken plastic cans stacked up in the barn. Threw them all away.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
The best part about those nozzles is you can empty 5 gallons and never spill a single drop. Try that with one of those spring loaded press-down nozzles, hold the can in the air and try to squeeze it, as the plastic nozzle snaps off or cracks, spilling a gallon of gas all over you and whatever you were trying to fill up. I had a slew of broken plastic cans stacked up in the barn. Threw them all away.
I'll be honest, I always judge wrong and overfill and spill a bit LOL

I just say I'm cleaning the mower deck...