bidens incredible transition to electric cars

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
gas prices fell below $3.90 for premium, wonder how long this will last

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cold definitely has an effect on the batteries. Most people forget that it's a chemical device not just an electrical one and temperature does affect the performance. Of course a whole bunch of other things like your driving style, how much you run the heater versus the heated seats etc. .. will also determine how much you use.

Google maps shows that trip at a bit over 1400 miles total. When these cars only get about 300 miles on a charge, he would to have done at least 4 charges if it were 72 degrees and sunny so, I think it's a but of a BS article.
So do you think it's an unreasonable claim to require TWO more charges in very cold weather in the 1,200 mile trip than you would deem normal for the same trip in moderately warm weather?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
So do you think it's an unreasonable claim to require TWO more charges in very cold weather in the 1,200 mile trip than you would deem normal for the same trip in moderately warm weather?
Nope - but again, it totally depends on how you drive and what accessories you run. In my Mach-E, I notice about 25%'ish drop in charge capacity in the colder months. When driving, if you run the heater all the time, you'll see the battery drop much quicker but if you run the heated seats and the heated steering wheel instead, I don't see any significant drop in the battery when driving and I stay toasty, Another thing I do is something called preconditioning, which warms up not only the cabin but the batteries as well. I do this while plugged in and it has a huge effect on how well the battery performs while you are driving in cold temps.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, of course....an individual's driving habits affect non-EV vehicles as well, as we've known for quite some time. And it will be some time before people understand this regarding EV's.

Also it's not to be expected a vehicle renter to observe your practice and perform any pre-conditioning, let alone even know of such. They wanted to try one out and had they done their research they might have opted to try one on a shorter trip and maybe during a more conducive clime. Heck, I wouldn't want to drive 1,400 miles in a non-EV when it's that cold and snow on the ground.....or across the desert above 100.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Nope - but again, it totally depends on how you drive and what accessories you run. In my Mach-E, I notice about 25%'ish drop in charge capacity in the colder months. When driving, if you run the heater all the time, you'll see the battery drop much quicker but if you run the heated seats and the heated steering wheel instead, I don't see any significant drop in the battery when driving and I stay toasty, Another thing I do is something called preconditioning, which warms up not only the cabin but the batteries as well. I do this while plugged in and it has a huge effect on how well the battery performs while you are driving in cold temps.
For me, a 25% drop in mileage during cold weather would be a deal breaker for me. My ICE might lose a mile or two per gallon during the winter, but that is due to the winter blend of fuel, not an issue with the motor. Maybe in Florida and Ca, they can live with that. Most of the other states, I think that would be unnaccepable.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
For me, a 25% drop in mileage during cold weather would be a deal breaker for me. My ICE might lose a mile or two per gallon during the winter, but that is due to the winter blend of fuel, not an issue with the motor. Maybe in Florida and Ca, they can live with that. Most of the other states, I think that would be unnaccepable.
Totally understand. We use the car as more of an around town car and don’t typically go more than 50 miles one-way so, it works out. We just plug it in when we get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My ICE might lose a mile or two per gallon during the winter, but that is due to the winter blend of fuel, not an issue with the motor. Maybe in Florida and Ca, they can live with that. Most of the other states, I think that would be unnaccepable.

interesting that ICE get worse economy also... I must admit I have noticed this and thought it was just me.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just when you thought the Brandon administration couldn't get any dumber.......

And from Fox Business ==>> Gas stove ban 'on the table' for federal agency: reports

Excerpt:

"The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is considering a ban on gas stoves as concerns surrounding indoor air pollutants from the appliances continue to rise, according to reports.
Bloomberg reported that the agency plans to act on the appliances because the pollutants can cause respiratory and health issues."
Here's my question: What about cigarettes ? As a smoker for 22 years ('65 to '87) I've learned how much harm has been caused by cigarette smoking and their effect on health care and its costs. My wife was a RN for 25+ years and periodically cites astronomical numbers as it relates to asthma, heart disease, various types of cancers, emphysema, strokes, etc. And this involves secondary inhalation as well. :idk:

Last edited:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I find it rather humorous all these greenies are crying about the temps keep rising, without them do even a bit of research of where all of these temp sensors are getting their data from. If there is a weather station with temp sensors sitting on top of a roof on a building, that data is totally invalid. If that sensor is sitting in the middle of a concrete or blacktop parking lot, that data is totally invalid. If that sensor is on a pole next to a highway, that data is totally invalid. If that sensor is in a fenced area with the whole area concreted under it, that data is totally invalid.
Simple physics would state that the temp sensors really need to be in a field, approx. 5 feet off the ground, mounted inside of a solar shield that has 24/7 fan induced ventilation, for the data to be semi valid. Also, there is no standard for calibration for most of the weather stations, especially for the amateur weather stations that everyone seems to own. Not to mention, where the amateur weather station are being mounted and what height the sensors are mounted. The temps are not rising above average, the collective IQ is getting lower for the people mounting the weather stations in ridiculous places.

abouttheweatherslider-2.jpg2421.jpegView attachment figure2_tucson_ushcn_from_above.webpweather+station+in+a+part+-+meteohelix.jpegimages (5).jpegView attachment wxstation2.webpView attachment rwis-2.webpView attachment photovoltaic_testbeds_2.webp

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score