Best way to record 140 camera with server.

mrdotapple

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!
I got this project from one of my customer...
He has 140 hikvision ds 2cd2t85fwd i8 2,8mm cameras.

He would like to record this camera data with a really strong lenovo server (2x32cpu core, 256Gb memory). Its on 10gb connection. and it has 90TB storage in it...

I never used hikvision software recording, but as I read on the google one storage server software can record 64 cameras. So I have installed 3 windows server 2012, installed the storage server.

My main questions. Why is this system so complex? I mean, why should I install the IVMS 4200 client and configure the recording from this software, why hikvision storage software doesnt have a tab, where I can just add all of the cameras, and its just works without any special configuration?

So I am doing something bad, or this is the right way to make it:
  • Install the storage software
  • Install the ivsm 4200 client
  • Add the storage into the IVMS client
  • Configure storage from the IVMS client to handle the virtual HDD (I have added 30TB for one win srv, as I counted 1 camera= 8-14gb/ day)
  • Add IP cameras into the IVMS software what I want to record on this server
  • Configure Group under Device Manager tab to record on the Storage Server

Its working, recording... But...

How can I use the remote playback feature from anywhere? So I have added 20 camera into this group, all of them is recording.... I can remote playback on the server. But in my logic, if I add the storage server into any IVMS4200 client, for example on my notebook... I should be able to use remote playback. But not... If I add a camera on my notebook, I still cant check the recorded data.... Win srv firewall is off, so I dont understand this Remote Playback feature.... if I can use it only where the data was recorded. Hikvision documentation about using their software is outdated, with the newest version of the client and storage, most of the things changed.

So the questions:
This is the right way to record hik cameras on server?
Is it possible to check recorded video from a remote machine?
If I export the recorded data, its splitted, so is it possible to export a single big file, or 4gb is the max?
There is no option to set video data expire time? so it will keep the files until no more space and start to overwrite it...?

Is there any other software which can record the image of this IP cameras, and has a good playback interface for it? (maybe leave hikvision software and use another for recording...)

Thank you really and sorry for my bad english.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
why hikvision storage software doesnt have a tab, where I can just add all of the cameras, and its just works without any special configuration?
The Hikvision Batch Configuration Tool is designed for large scale configuration tasks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need an enterprise vms. See avigilon, exacq, nxwitness, milestone.

mrdotapple

n3wb
Reaction score
As I can see all of them req. license for this kind of usage. I have tried exacq, with two camera, turned off any hikvision software on the server, and under 1 min 2-3 times video loss, randomly losing the connection. I have started to ping the camera, and it has 1MS ping.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As I can see all of them req. license for this kind of usage. I have tried exacq, with two camera, turned off any hikvision software on the server, and under 1 min 2-3 times video loss, randomly losing the connection. I have started to ping the camera, and it has 1MS ping.
Of course. If you have a 140 camera system you should have the money to invest in a proper vms. The signal loss is not a result of exacq, its your network/wiring etc.

mrdotapple

n3wb
Reaction score
Of course. If you have a 140 camera system you should have the money to invest in a proper vms. The signal loss is not a result of exacq, its your network/wiring etc.
Cant be network issue if the ping is 1 ms, and the camera is working without any issue in the hikvision software.

The owner of the cameras bought it because a random guy said hikvision has a storage server feature and dont need anything else.

Its a 19.000 euro server, cameras cost about 20k euro... 10 gb network devices cost a lot too... So now I am trying to help him to solve the problem cost effective.
The only way to solve this, to invest more money and pay for another software? If yes, ofc he will pay for it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cant be network issue if the ping is 1 ms, and the camera is working without any issue in the hikvision software.

The owner of the cameras bought it because a random guy said hikvision has a storage server feature and dont need anything else.

Its a 19.000 euro server, cameras cost about 20k euro... 10 gb network devices cost a lot too... So now I am trying to help him to solve the problem cost effective.
The only way to solve this, to invest more money and pay for another software? If yes, ofc he will pay for it.
Yes.

mrdotapple

n3wb
Reaction score
Alright, tomorrow I will try to compare them and I will take some extra time on hikvision software too. My main problem with this, my customer bought the server because a company recommended this for him.... I have seen on hikvision website they have a 256 channel NVR, and with ton of storage space it cost half of the lenovo server.... So its a sad situation for him. Thanks for your help. If anyone else has any extra idea, let me know.

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi

It would be better to use the Hik-Server that allows up to 300 channels but I guess it maybe too late for this now.

On the VMS, a licensed software, Arteco, from Italy seems to be what you need. Its camera agnostic and is a full VMS solution.
Theres a webinar next week so you can understand how the system operates. DM me if you interested for the details.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would have just used a 256 channel Hikvision NVR. Running a standalone server with enough processing power to take video from each camera and put it on the HDD.... You are running 8MP cameras which have a bit rate of 8-11mbps each. A sata HDD has a theoretical throughput of 600MBps max. It may not be just the software that is having the issue. Could be the hardware can't keep up. I have seen computers running an AMD 24-core threadripper trying to load playback for 64 cameras on IVMS4200 and it was lagging bad trying to decode all the video and they were not even recording using the server.

I honestly would just get a 256 channel NVR. Will make it so much easier. I have actually remoted into one of the 256 channel NVR at the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas to help with troubleshooting and it was buttery smooth. I would imagine the extra power needed to run the server compared to the NVR would make having the NVR worthwhile.

mrdotapple

n3wb
Reaction score
I would have just used a 256 channel Hikvision NVR. Running a standalone server with enough processing power to take video from each camera and put it on the HDD.... You are running 8MP cameras which have a bit rate of 8-11mbps each. A sata HDD has a theoretical throughput of 600MBps max. It may not be just the software that is having the issue. Could be the hardware can't keep up. I have seen computers running an AMD 24-core threadripper trying to load playback for 64 cameras on IVMS4200 and it was lagging bad trying to decode all the video and they were not even recording using the server.

I honestly would just get a 256 channel NVR. Will make it so much easier. I have actually remoted into one of the 256 channel NVR at the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas to help with troubleshooting and it was buttery smooth. I would imagine the extra power needed to run the server compared to the NVR would make having the NVR worthwhile.

It has 8 slot of 16 GB TruDDR4 2933mhz memory, 2x Intel Xeon Gold 6241 16C 2.8 ghz cpu and 12x 8TB 7.2K SAS 12GB hot swap hdd in it...
I have worked before with Lenovo servers, this server is enough strong to build a whole hosting on it, but not enough for recording some IP cameras? I dont think.

HDD is configured in RAID5 and It has two M2 500 GB SSD in it with RAID1.

I cant tell buy a 256 channel NVR, because he paid 20k euro for the server.

I am waiting now for nxwitness to give a demo. This sw looking good.

I have tried some another stuff too, for example I have set a shared folder and tried to set the target SMB on 3 cam, Its working and I can create a dynamic config for it and upload for each cameras, but I dont think its the right way.

Ofc I have tried to record cross IVMS 4200 client, but there is no way to start recording on all of the cameras, so its pain if you need to restart the server or anything.