Best PTZ Camera

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering what PTZ would be a good choice for a security. I want a very clear picture that doesn't get blotchy, auto tracking would be nice and up to 25X Zoom. Anyone have any recommendations on the Best PTZ. Price doesn't matter.

Reaction score
Yeah wow top one is a mouth dropping haa. Out of them 2 bottom ones which one would be the best? I'm looking for something when I zoom in it doesn't blur the picture at all. Also do I need auto tracking for home security use? I was looking at the Hikvision DS-2DE4A425IW-DE but I just wanna make the right choice I have 4 of Andy's Color4K-X 2.8mm and they work great very good at night but when I zoom with my picture it blurs but overall there great.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See my comment in your 4K/X thread about digital zoom.

This isn't Hollywood. Digital zoom only works in TV and at the movies. You may get away with a little digital zoom, but not much.

If you want to IDENTIFY things at distance, you need the optical zoom to capture that distance. Optical zoom is more important than MP.

All three cameras I linked have autotracking and because it optically zooms in, you don't get the blur you get when you digital zoom a fixed lens camera.

Here is a great example of two images taken at the same time (early AM while still dark out) of the same person 60 feet away from just slightly different angles - one from the 5442-ZE 4MP set to 3.6mm that I digitally zoomed to make the person about the same size as the person in the 2MP varifocal optically zoomed.

trash 4MP digital zoom.jpg

trash 2MP optical zoomed.png

In case someone cannot figure it out, the 4MP that is digitally zoomed in is the B&W picture and the 2MP varifocal optically zoomed in is the color picture LOL.

I think most would agree that the optically zoomed 2MP picture beats the digitally zoomed 4MP picture - you can make out details and read some of the signage and make out bolts, etc. that are just a blur on the 4MP, which is being benefited by the same light the 2MP camera is getting plus the IR.

See this thread on the importance of focal length, along with examples comparing a digital zoom to an optical zoom.

Reaction score
Thank you. 1 more question I had a private message from Andy told me if I don't have a budget try the SD5A425GA-HNR PTZ I do see the image sensor are differnt what is better 1/1.8" 4Megapixel CMOS or Image Sensor: 1/2.8" CMOS
Pixel : 4 MP

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 1/1.8" sensor is larger and better than the 1/2.8" sensor, so a 4MP will be better on the 1/1.8" sensor than the 1/2.8" sensor.

Yes the SD5A425 is a better camera than the $400ish models I sent you, but it wasn't showing up as available on Amazon.

If you have the funds, go with that one.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 1/1.8" sensor is larger and better than the 1/2.8" sensor, so a 4MP will be better on the 1/1.8" sensor than the 1/2.8" sensor.

Yes the SD5A425 is a better camera than the $400ish models I sent you, but it wasn't showing up as available on Amazon.

If you have the funds, go with that one.
Andy said in another thread Tuesday that the 4mp SD5A425GA-HNR will arrive in the US next week. And he think the 8mp SD5A825GA-HNR will be ready to sell later Feb and review on the 4k one when I ask him about it. Maybe can check his Amazon store in the next 1-2 weeks.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised with this little 42212tni that a friend had me put on his house then immediately thought it with all the other cams was drawing too much attention! I wish I’d of taken a shot of night when it was still there. Now it’s on his bar and with default settings it’s picking up plates at distance at night. First is about 50 yards, other is around 100.
C6477468-BC2A-486C-A636-6431C9190CF8.png8DD50206-3FEE-459C-A6A6-CF7B90B5F8E9.png