Beginner question - POE 12V, 24V, 48V

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's a diode on that input to help protect against reverse polarity damage that some IPCT members have bypassed (jumpered) in order to get some low amp 12VDC from the POE-powered camera.

I'll see if I can find the post.

EDIT: Here's one from @tigerwillow1 :

jnissen

n3wb
Reaction score
Makes sense on the diode. Yes please forward as it would potentially allow me to reduce the complexity of the external wiring at the camera.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Just wanted to add some comments and offer insight as to the why?!? Almost every installation I’ve done in ancient history has included a dedicated 12 / 24 VDC power cable.

The AWG was obviously dictated by the cable run, required current, and meeting the 80% power limit.

Why?

Because there won’t be a need to do something dumb like opening up a camera to screw around with internal components just to get 12 VDC!

This also avoids having to buy, use, worry about another point of failure using a POE Splitter!

These solutions exist solely as a band aid to compensate for poor planning and future proofing.

If running power wire isn’t possible (highly unlikely) then using a POE Splitter with a Y cable makes sense for Joe Average.

Lastly, as it relates to any POE Switch that may be considered - Do the math! It doesn’t matter what brand it is because math is math.

You’ll see on this forum and many more about someone buying longdickdong brand A vs B.

The idiot advertisement will say POE+ on all 16 ports. But the PSU internal / external is only 150 - 300 watts?!?

What’s the math?!?

16 Ports X 30 POE+ = 480 watts!

It only gets more ridiculous when said POE+ switch is a 24 port variant!

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In stock configuration, the 12 DC jack does not output 12 volts when you connect ethernet to POE supply. Some of use modify the camera and bypass the blocking diode to convert that DC input into an output. Such a mod has even been used to power an external IR light, but obviously the modification is going to void warranty. I do it exactly for what you ask, powering external microphones.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Because there won’t be a need to do something dumb like opening up a camera to screw around with internal components just to get 12 VDC!
I take issue with this as a blanket statement. For some people, doing brain surgery isn't dumb. For me it would be :). For me opening the cameras and screwing around with the components was a calculated risk that has turned out beautifully. Definitely not to be blanket-recommended, but it's not dumb for everybody. Those 12 volt wires can have pretty significant I2R losses compared to running the power over ~48 volts.