Basic NVR setup question

alemon

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I've been reading the wiki etc but I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on NVR setup and control? I've ordered the Hikvision DS-7732NI-I4/16P with 12TB to setup a hikvision system for my home and I'm trying to figure out my setup for the NVR. Do you need a keyboard to control the NVR? and does the NVR need to be located where the monitor is located? I know these are pretty basic questions but i'm not particularly tech savvy. I was planning to put the NVR in a closet with a 4k monitor on a desk in the room attached to the closet. Ideally i'd like to keep the NVR in a closet so all the cables from the cameras that feed into the NVR are out of sight. However, will I need to be able to reach the control buttons on the NVR to review footage or how is that done if my monitor is remote from the NVR? Ugh, so many questions... Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 4.26.16 PM.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You can access and control the NVR via its web GUI using the browser on your computer.
This is called 'running it headless'.

The VGA/HDMI interface with a connected monitor can be used with just a mouse (there is an on-screen keyboard) and does provide some extra functionality over the web access, but it's not mandatory to use it.

alemon

n3wb
Reaction score
You can access and control the NVR via its web GUI using the browser on your computer.
This is called 'running it headless'.

The VGA/HDMI interface with a connected monitor can be used with just a mouse (there is an on-screen keyboard) and does provide some extra functionality over the web access, but it's not mandatory to use it.
Thanks! Would it be possible to attach a mouse to a monitor or does the mouse need to plug into the NVR?

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does that NVR handle the hard drive size (12TB) you listed?