Backup internet

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Supposedly I'll get the equipment on Monday. Once it's up and running I'll look into both of these suggestions. I see a new learning curve on my horizon... ;)

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
At&t is being very selective about where they are installing Fiber around here. It's available 600ft south of me, but they won't bring it up into my small subdivision. Bunch of knuckleheads running that place.
Can you get someone over there to order it, and then just literally trench your own fiber? Wouldn't be too hard

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I mean I have my cell phone, I can tether with USB all I want. Sure it's not the whole house but it also doesn't cost me any more monthly. Works great with my chrome book. 50/month can buy you a lot of solar.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, got it. Went all over the house finding the most bars and three bars is the best I can get. Then I went in and checked. Even though they don't show you anywhere, by looking at the band, I only get 4G. That's all I'm going to get here. Cellmapper.com agrees, Regardless of what the salesperson on the phone said, I'm out of range for T-Mobile's 5G. That said, on Speetest my DSL was giving me 4.93/.56 and T-Mobile is giving me 61.97/10.23, so...

First thing's first. Was anyone able to change the router's LAN IP address? I searched via the app and via my desktop's browser. I don't see any way to change it.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just in case someone else was wondering. A group on Reddit has been discussing this issue (can't change router's IP). The short answer is no.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, got everything working on the LAN. Amazing that my WAN IP changes every 1 to 3 minutes. Just caught that here (alerts that my IP changed) and turned off my DDNS updater in BI Tools.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if it's switching between 3 different towers, were you moving it around at all?

Speed still pretty good? What's your impressions so far?

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
There is only one tower around here. 3/4 mile away as the crow flies. The next tower is about 3-1/2 miles away in the other direction. I've optimized the connection as best I can to the nearer one. As best I can tell, I never see the other one from any window in it's direction. Once I got it to the best spot, I haven't moved it. The changing WAN IPs that I am speaking of has been since I located it properly.

Speed is about all I could hope for with 4G. No complaints there. It is a dumb modem/router, no doubt about it. I've got just enough skills to get past it's limitations for all of my junk around here. I wish I could have changed it's LAN IP, but it is what it is. It's funny how I kept having to think, "Oh that's right, I've still got xxxx that needs a new IP to work"...

The only take away is that I don't have the skills to be able to get BI viewable when I'm out and about. It's probably doable, but if it is, I've got some more learning to do.

Impressions so far? Heck, I went from about 5/.5 to around 60/12. Thus far (please don't jinx myself!), it's been a solid connection. So, what's not to like in that respect? We'll give it a few weeks and see.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Please please please don't jinx myself for posting this. About an hour ago, something seemed different with my connection. I logged into the gateway and had a new primary connection (weak, but new). My old primary connection was now my secondary connection. Anyway, next page to look and... 5G! So, I jumped over to Ookla and...

T-Mobile Speed.jpg

That's a three fold increase on download and a double increase on upload! Here's hoping I didn't screw up posting it just now as I didn't have 5G earlier this morning (or any other day until now) and I've moved nothing...