Augus's build home system

Augus

n3wb
Reaction score
Today I just sign up to this forum and have learned a lot. Looking to set up our home security in less than 3 weeks, as we are heading out for vacation.

Come to these dahua components

1 ea NVR 8poe
NVR4208/4216/4232-8P

1 ea 2MP starlight dome camera
IPC-HDB4231C-AS

2 ea 2MP bullet camera
http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hfw2221r-zsvfs-ire6-6221.html

1 ea 4tb WD purple hard drive

need suggestion what and where to get (amazon monoprice ebay)
cat5 or cat6 cable
plug
crimper, tester, ...kit
equipment to run cable throughout the house

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
cat5 or cat6 cable
plug
crimper, tester, ...kit
Regardless of where you get the cable just assure it is SOLID BARE COPPER do not get CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) which is typically what you find on Ebay and Amazon for what looks like a good deal (cheap).

Cable: 1000FT 23AWG Cat6 500MHz UTP Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), Bulk Ethernet Bare Copper Cable - Blue - Monoprice.com
Connectors: http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10513&cs_id=1051305&p_id=7266&seq=1&format=2
Tool Kit includes everything you need and an electrical tester to verify continuity: https://www.amazon.com/Aimtech-Professional-Computer-Maintenance-AIMT1401/dp/B00KS1V3MA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480429972&sr=8-3&keywords=network+tool+kit
Equipment to run (this could be a million different things depending on your situation but here are some of my go to's for any job:
https://www.amazon.com/Magnepull-XP1000-LC-Wire-Pulling-System/dp/B000YJB5WO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480430086&sr=8-1&keywords=magnepull
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Fiberglass-Wire-Pull-Rods/dp/B005LW4CFG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1480430061&sr=8-6&keywords=Fish+Tape
https://www.amazon.com/Fish-Impact-Electric-Communication-Puller/dp/B0025Z81BS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1480430061&sr=8-5&keywords=Fish+Tape
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Tool-ESP56272-Combination-Installer/dp/B00DNECVKW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480430193&sr=8-2&keywords=72"+drill+bit

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
6' drill bit? Dang, y'all got thicker houses around your place than I do... :) I bet when you need it you need it though. Mine are 2 footers with the hole in the end for pulling wire.

Fish sticks and fish tape are really handy, particularly when running up/down walls or along rafters. I'd appreciate that all-in-one tool kit too. Great way to look and quickly ensure that you've got everything. Nothing worse than grabbing a mixed toolbag and finding out later that the crimpers or whatever you assumed were in the bottom got pulled out and set down somewhere else. I use the latter method with all my mixed cable tools thrown in a bigger bag. Doesn't always work out.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
6' drill bit? Dang, y'all got thicker houses around your place than I do... :) I bet when you need it you need it though. Mine are 2 footers with the hole in the end for pulling wire.

Fish sticks and fish tape are really handy, particularly when running up/down walls or along rafters. I'd appreciate that all-in-one tool kit too. Great way to look and quickly ensure that you've got everything. Nothing worse than grabbing a mixed toolbag and finding out later that the crimpers or whatever you assumed were in the bottom got pulled out and set down somewhere else. I use the latter method with all my mixed cable tools thrown in a bigger bag. Doesn't always work out.
6' drill bits are used when you have a fire block half way down a wall. You need them to put down into a wall cavity once you drill your hole in the top plate. Use the flex bit to drill down through the fire break then push a fish rod down to the outlet location via that hole. The 6' drill bits are also extreamly helpful when you need to drill through floor or ceiling joists (side to side) It allows for minimal drywall cuts - typically only one or two access holes cut to span a 10' - 12' room side to side in the floor/ceiling. The tool honestly has little to do with the "thickness" of anything because its not a speed bit, so trying to drill though even a double stacked 2/4 with it isn't super easy. And once you have a worn out one they are great to hold onto for pulling wire under sidewalks/walkways. You can dig a small hole on each side and run this right under a walkway to pull low voltage cable etc from one side to the other.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Gotcha, good point on fire blocks. I haven't run into any of those yet. I may pick one up to try it and then it'll be around if I ever really need it. How badly does it wind up fibreglas pink insulation in exterior walls?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
How badly does it wind up fibreglas pink insulation in exterior walls?
Oh it can do a number if your note paying attention. Typically I will drill the top plate with a paddle bit. I'll then take my fish stick and push it straight down several times to make a path for the bit through the insulation. Since the flex bit is large simply trying to shove it though the insulation can bind it up or push the bit out to the wall, but if you take a fish stick or two and make a channel down though the insulation then put the bit in you normally have little resistance sliding it though the insulation till it hits the fire break. I will tell you be careful and go slow when drilling. The MAIN thing is to assure that drill bit is centered and directly up and down when you start drilling. In my younger days I shot a few of them out the side of a customers wall because I was just rushing. However, After you do a few its not bad at all.

We actually framed a 5' false free standing wall with drywall on one side and a folding sheet of plexi on the other so we could open it and replace insulation quickly as well as the simulated fire brace quickly to train people. Put a a frame ladder over the top and have them stand on that and drill down. Needless to say a lot of people shoot a drill bit out the side the first time or two, but you get the hang of it quickly.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Today I just sign up to this forum and have learned a lot. Looking to set up our home security in less than 3 weeks, as we are heading out for vacation.

1 ea NVR 8poe
NVR4208/4216/4232-8P

IPC-HDB4231C-AS

2 ea 2MP bullet camera
IPC-HFW2221R-ZS/VFS-IRE6 | Dahua Technology

cat5 or cat6 cable
plug
crimper, tester, ...kit
The camera all POE ones, no need to extra power adapter. IPC-HFW2320R-VF-IRE6 should be a better choice, price very small different

Reaction score

1 ea NVR 8poe
NVR4208/4216/4232-8P

IPC-HDB4231C-AS

2 ea 2MP bullet camera
IPC-HFW2221R-ZS/VFS-IRE6 | Dahua Technology

cat5 or cat6 cable
plug
crimper, tester, ...kit
Just a heads up regarding that nvr. It sounds like a jet engine, I moved mine out into the garage.

Augus

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera all POE ones, no need to extra power adapter. IPC-HFW2320R-VF-IRE6 should be a better choice, price very small different
ahh too late now. HFW2221R was the one you recommended.

Just a heads up regarding that nvr. It sounds like a jet engine, I moved mine out into the garage.
Do you know where to noise come from? might have to find better quality and quite component to replace. I hope it just the fan.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I've done the 7 volt fan mod to a number of 12v fans in computers to slow them down and make them quiet. No new fan required. Works well for a lot of things as long as you don't REALLY need full speed on the fan. Most electronics kept clean and well ventilated in a room that doesn't get really hot don't.

7 volt fan mod - Google Search

edit: ps- I don't remember looking the last time I was inside a dvr to see if 5v was easily available. 7 volt mod might not be possible.

Reaction score
The noise is from the fan. It sounds worse than an old comp with fans at full speed. I read somewhere that its only the poe version that is noisy.

Ill take a look at that fan mod trick. Then maybe i can take my nvr back into the house :)

I have a NVR4208-8P.

Augus

n3wb
Reaction score
Got our equipment, open everything and hoop it up to test and sure enough that fan is loud.
Next is to figure out how to connect to our network and view from our phone.

Provided Hard Drive power cable seem short getting to one of the two location. I have only 1 HD so I move it to the other location.

Last edited: