Attempted firmware upgrade on Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P gone bad.

kawda

n3wb
Reaction score
See if you can find some footage of 4 in action on Youtube before attempting the upgrade. I found the way the time bar has been changed from 3.x really annoying - I usually watch multiple cameras and click on the next relevant "Smart Event" to advance to where I want to watch. I couldn't do that easily with 4.
Ok thanks for the Tip will have a look. Cheers

bogchop

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the firmware lads. My DS-7616NI-I2(16P) has run like absolute crap from day one. I've successfully upgraded to the first firmware file provided, now repairing the DB and will upgrade to the 4.22 build.

I've had a few issues. Hoping the firmware update fixes some of it.

1. Pulsating on all cameras connected. Has this light 'pulse' every other second going through all cameras. Most noticeable on night/bw footage.

2. NVR becomes slow, sluggish and unresponsive over time. Requires regular reboots.

3. H265 recording is just terrible, turned it off because it doesn't do what its supposed to. Missing footage galore.

4. Missing footage. There are random points in time that do not record to the NVR. No idea how/why.

5. The unit always seems to be 'repairing' the 2 HDDs i have in there (WD Purple and a Seagate SkyHawk).

Seems like Hik never bothered to update their AU site with firmware (and my seller was an ebay one, although supposedly authorised). Never got a response back from Hik AU support, was disappointing. Even worse I've had to come to an internet forum to find this stuff!

Last edited:

bogchop

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update - my unit was running firmware from 2018. Slow, sluggish, terrible. After installing the supplied firmware to get me to 4.22, I also managed to use the firmware 'supplied' by my local supplier. Was expecting more AU firmware, but was simply pointed here:

Video recorders

So apparently using 'US' firmware on my 'AU' unit was fine. And it worked. Upgraded to 4.40 I think. No problems. NVR running smoother than ever. The 'pulsing' issue I have is less prevalent on medium quality continuous recording. I can also use H265 now without the unit eventually becoming sluggish/crashing. Huge boon for space savings!

And the one thing that really bothered me was selecting existing footage from the review section. Selected one camera on old firmware, and it would take close to ~30 seconds for it to appear in a window on its own. Since updating to later firmware, I can select cameras and their recorded footage appears almost immediately.

And I got my 'shape drawing' login back that I had on my old NVR, bonus! The only 'issue' I can see now is that while my Seagate SKyHawk is recognised as a usable HDD, my WD Purple 3TB unit isn't recognised as an 'approved' HDD (still works though).

gksawtell

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update, I have only upgrade to 3.4.93 and seems to be working fine. still didnt make a move on version 4. I thought i need bit more time to do on a weekend just in case if i get into trouble,
regards
Hey mate have you decided to upgrade to the V4 yet?

Encryptme

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update - my unit was running firmware from 2018. Slow, sluggish, terrible. After installing the supplied firmware to get me to 4.22, I also managed to use the firmware 'supplied' by my local supplier. Was expecting more AU firmware, but was simply pointed here:

Video recorders

So apparently using 'US' firmware on my 'AU' unit was fine. And it worked. Upgraded to 4.40 I think. No problems. NVR running smoother than ever. The 'pulsing' issue I have is less prevalent on medium quality continuous recording. I can also use H265 now without the unit eventually becoming sluggish/crashing. Huge boon for space savings!

And the one thing that really bothered me was selecting existing footage from the review section. Selected one camera on old firmware, and it would take close to ~30 seconds for it to appear in a window on its own. Since updating to later firmware, I can select cameras and their recorded footage appears almost immediately.

And I got my 'shape drawing' login back that I had on my old NVR, bonus! The only 'issue' I can see now is that while my Seagate SKyHawk is recognised as a usable HDD, my WD Purple 3TB unit isn't recognised as an 'approved' HDD (still works though).
I have an DS-7608NI-I2/8P which is through an official AU Distributer and when I updated to the U.S firmware the update went fine, except... when viewing a live stream with any of the 6 POE cameras, it will play and then after a few seconds freeze the image for 30 seconds and then play again and then keep repeating - reverting back to AU firmware fixes this, but the firmware version is miles behind the US one.

Encryptme

n3wb
Reaction score
Latest is now 4.50, Using a aus box aswell and tired of the neglected updates and thinking of updating
So if I upgrade to this firmware, the connection from the Hikvision IOS app keeps pausing the live feed every few seconds - so i reverted back to the AU one without problems. If you decide to upgrade, let me know if your mobile app does the same thing! They must have changed a network parameter in the settings somewhere!

Elias77

n3wb
Reaction score

Video recorders

Hey mate, any chance you can send me the 4.22 firmware? i cant find it anywhere. looks like its been removed from the Hikvision website

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey mate, any chance you can send me the 4.22 firmware? i cant find it anywhere. looks like its been removed from the Hikvision website
Make sure your NVR isn't region locked before trying overseas firmware. If you bought it from a Hik Australia retailer it's likely to be locked.

Elias77

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys, all sorted!!
i posted on how i got mine fixed.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I encountered an issue when I upgraded my DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR to version V4.60.005_220927 from the Hikvision Australia site. Unfortunately, this upgrade ended up bricking my device. Although the NVR is an Australian version and previous versions on the website worked fine, Hikvision has removed all previous versions.

To make it function again, I used the TFTP update tool found on the web and installed the generic US version. (Note: The one labelled 'TFTP-Auto-Update' did not work, but the one called 'TFTP-Update' worked). Although I was able to access the NVR, the device would constantly reboot randomly and freeze or turn off when I tried using it.

I searched for the older Australian firmware versions but couldn't find them anywhere. However, I eventually located them on a customer portal page of a Hikvision supplier in Brisbane.
I downloaded the 4.22.000 Build 200110 version and copied it onto a USB drive. I was then able to reinstall this firmware through the NVR, and it worked perfectly!

Link to portal with firmware:
:thumb:
Did you try installing an O/S firmware first using that method? In all honesty the Australia NVR firmware support sucks and is so far behind... that's the reward you get for buying genuine Aussie stock and supporting local businesses! :rolleyes:

Mine is running the latest Euro firmware, but it has "features" I find very annoying that older firmware versions didn't. e.g. no smart events displayed on the timelines in "Normal" playback; if you switch from Smart to Normal play back it's fine and keeps the current playback time, but revert to Smart again and it defaults back to midnight for that day. Plus you can't set up all the camera features via the NVR and need to connect a laptop or have it on a LAN to do them- that's been a problem with all firmware versions.