Assistant t-shooting Dahua NVR4108-8P

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all...I have a 4108-8P that is not powering on. I took the cover off and the only light I see is an orange light on the board. I've tried disconnecting the HDD and nothing changes...still same orange light. If I put my ear down next to the board and listen carefully the only thing I hear is a tic tic tic tic tic tic.

I'm think the nvr most likely is toast but just wanted to check with you all who prob have more expertise before chucking and buying a new one. Thanks!

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you connected a monitor to it?
Yes via vga connection and nothing comes up on the screen. Basically the monitor tells me nothing connected to that specific input. And that's both with and without HDD connected.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
HD means nothing, the NVR will boot and run without one.

Has it been sitting around or was it working and then suddenly not?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Possible the power supply is fried I suppose. I’ve not had one do that, but not knowing if it’s old or took a surge? :idk:

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HD means nothing, the NVR will boot and run without one.

Has it been sitting around or was it working and then suddenly not?
It's a family members nvr so exact time frames are not possible to get. Although I do know it was working perfectly fine a few months back (as I hooked up a second cam for them and it was working great at that time). They basically just let me know it wasn't working while we were out to dinner a month or so ago id say. I just never got around to going and picking it up to further t-shoot until now.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Possible the power supply is fried I suppose. I’ve not had one do that, but not knowing if it’s old or took a surge? :idk:
I suppose ur talking about the power brick / cord that powers the unit and not something directly connected to the board? If so I can see if I have a spare PS laying around that I can try....

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking the actual board it plugs into...but hey cant hurt.
No history?
No "bad" history as far as I know. Device has worked as expected for the last several years. It was plugged into a simple surge protector but that doesn't mean it didn't take a strike... although everything else plugged into same surge is currently working so who knows:idk:

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't stand that they would still have an 80Mbps thruput on the newer NVR's.....My next NVR ( is there is one) would have to have 320 Mbps thruput. The network lag I experienced with 4108 Amcrest was annoying as fuck. Thru experimentation I found that if I unplugged 1/2 the cameras and plugged them into a Cisco POE, the lag went away. By lag I'm mean, you click on the Web GUI access of a camera from within the NVR menus, and it loads the page inconsistently and/or times out and/or becomes unresponsive, and/or loads so slow you think you're gonna die first. all that stopped when I took some of the load off the NVR.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reviving this thread to ask another question....I finally was able to get my family member to purchase a new NVR (same model as before: 4108-8P). I just got done doing some pre-configuration before I plan on going over and hooking it up later this week (date / time, password, etc). My question is as follows. During setup of the account password, it made me use a different password then what the current cameras have configured from the previous NVR that died. For some reason it didn't like that I only used lowercase and numbers as stated by the password policy. This same password worked on the previous NVR so not sure why it didn't like it this time. It only decided to take the password I chose when I added a uppercase letter for the first letter. So now according to the specifications I have 3 categories selected when it said I only needed two (uppercase, lowercase and number).

So now when I go over and hook it up to the existing cameras and now that the password has been updated / changed / whatever from the camera's perspective, will it auto update the new password to the cameras or is it going to be an issue? Do I have to hook up to the cameras manually and change the password or will the new NVR "push" this new password I created to the cameras even though its different?

Thanks....sorry in advance if my question is confusing!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No it wont likely update the camera passwords.

Typically you would need to login to the NVR, go to the Camera Registration page, click on each "pencil" icon and modify the password in the popup box.
NOTE - THIS DOES NOT CHANGE THE PASSWORD ON THE CAMERA, it simply tells the NVR the correct password of the camera to allow it to communicate with them

Once done, Hit OK and wait a few minutes, then hit Refesh at bottom of NVR page and the camera entry should show Green

editcamera-credentials.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Or, if all of the cameras are using the same password, you could optionally change the NVR admin password to that same thing, reboot, now all will communicate using the same password

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or, if all of the cameras are using the same password, you could optionally change the NVR admin password to that same thing, reboot, now all will communicate using the same password
Yeah I'd really like to do this option but the NVR won't let me change the password to what I originally had on the previous one for some reason....I used 2 different options as stated by the password text box (both lowercase and a number in the middle). The only way it would take it when I was going through the initial config was when I added an uppercase to the first letter. So now I have uppercase, lowercase and a number in the middle and it worked....odd if you ask me on why it worked on previous unit but not this one.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No it wont likely update the camera passwords.

Typically you would need to login to the NVR, go to the Camera Registration page, click on each "pencil" icon and modify the password in the popup box.
NOTE - THIS DOES NOT CHANGE THE PASSWORD ON THE CAMERA, it simply tells the NVR the correct password of the camera to allow it to communicate with them

Once done, Hit OK and wait a few minutes, then hit Refesh at bottom of NVR page and the camera entry should show Green

View attachment 167897
If I am understanding this correctly.....the password that you set for the admin account when first configuring the NVR is the same password the NVR will attempt to connect to the cams when you hook everything up....?

And if I need to change I just follow the screenshot instructions you listed above....but this just changes the password the NVR uses to communicate with the cams and does not permanently change the pass on the cams nor does it change the admin account password. Is all that correct?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct. The process I outline doesn't change ANY passwords. It simply tells the NVR the correct password to use to communicate with the cameras.