Anyone seen this error before? "FORCE quitting CGadSocket thread"

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
A quick way to see what each camera is using for HW encoder is with the camera tab in the status window of the console. I = Intel. I2 = Intel Beta. A "-" means it's off. If yours is like mine, when the error occurs, some (if not all) of the cameras will automatically turn HW to off.

View attachment 84891
For all the cams which were to NO for HA i am going to try the Intel Beta for them and see how it goes :D

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't mean to necro-post, but did anyone ever arrive at a definitive resolution to this issue?

I'm running the latest stable BI 5.4.7.11 and I found this CGadsocket error on my newly installed LPR camera. In my case it did not result in any interruption to recording, but I'm concerned about the error and would like to resolve it. I did notice the HW Decode setting was No when I checked it after reading this thread, but my default setting for all cameras is Intel+VPP, so I think that setting was reverted somehow. I reset it back to Intel+VPP, so if it happens again I will know for sure.

Any information is welcome.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
So Some of the cams for me still go to NO for any HA otherwise I was getting the error some of them I had to set it to Intel Beta. Also another thing I made sure they are on h264h Profile on the cams or h264 so try that and see if it helps. I am also using intel+VPP for some now.

So the one which fails try different HA for those and see if anything else is stable. Again I am not too sure though what causes this all together I mean I know when using HA causing it to force quit and fall back to NO for hardware acceleration but why is it not compatible say one cam vs other that I am not too certain about.

Lucas Tam

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm getting this error with 5.5.5.1... all my cameras stop recording and BI doesn't resume.

This was happening with 5.5.3.7 as well.

Socket Error.PNG

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Jesus you’ve got a raft of errors that you need to go through and sort out, start with the signal lost and the clip management errors first.

Lucas Tam

n3wb
Reaction score
Jesus you’ve got a raft of errors that you need to go through and sort out, start with the signal lost and the clip management errors first.
I'm pretty sure the Singal Retry error is due to the GCadSocket error - Blue Iris is rolling over to a new .bvr file.

Lucas Tam

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Singal Retry error is due to the GCadSocket error - Blue Iris is rolling over to a new .bvr file.
Looks like the GCadSocket errors are due to Nvidia hardware acceleration ... BI was crashing almost nightly so I turned off HA and it seems more stable. CPU usage is still quite low, likely because I've enabled "Limit decoding to when necessary".

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still getting these errors unless I turn hardware acceleration off for my Amcrest/Dahua cameras. The Reolinks work perfectly with Intel Beta. The Amcrests are choppy and unusable with Intel Beta, but they are smooth with plain Intel, but cause these errors and take down the whole system after running for a few hours or days.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Still getting these errors unless I turn hardware acceleration off for my Amcrest/Dahua cameras. The Reolinks work perfectly with Intel Beta. The Amcrests are choppy and unusable with Intel Beta, but they are smooth with plain Intel, but cause these errors and take down the whole system after running for a few hours or days.
Reminds of a joke, Dr when I do this it hurts, well don’t it !

Using Intel beta on my system actually increased CPU usage, I now use plain old vanilla Intel.

If BI and hardware acceleration don’t get on for specific cams just turn it off, if you use substreams it’s no great loss. I’ve seen a few posts where enabling hardware acceleration on a cam caused BI to crash as soon as the GUI is started so just stop using it and maybe tempt fate?

Last edited:

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reminds of a joke, Dr when I do this it hurts, we’ll do it !

Using Intel beta on my system actually increased CPU usage, I now use plain old vanilla Intel.

If BI and hardware acceleration don’t get on for specific cams just turn it off, if you use substreams it’s no great loss. I’ve seen a few posts where enabling hardware acceleration on a cam caused BI to crash as soon as the GUI is started so just stop using it and maybe tempt fate?
Nah if I don’t use HA, when these cams get triggered, the CPU usage flies to 80%+. With HA on (until they crash) it’s only a nice spike to 25% or so.

Looks like Amcrest finally released a firmware update for these cameras, so I’ll give that a try and then hit support up to see what he can do. Which is a shame because everyone here shits on the Reolinks, but they’ve been rock solid for years, super smooth, cheap, and have great mics; may have to throw the Amcrests out and go back if it doesn’t work out.

Lucas Tam

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't mean to necro-post, but did anyone ever arrive at a definitive resolution to this issue?

I'm running the latest stable BI 5.4.7.11 and I found this CGadsocket error on my newly installed LPR camera. In my case it did not result in any interruption to recording, but I'm concerned about the error and would like to resolve it. I did notice the HW Decode setting was No when I checked it after reading this thread, but my default setting for all cameras is Intel+VPP, so I think that setting was reverted somehow. I reset it back to Intel+VPP, so if it happens again I will know for sure.

Any information is welcome.
I disabled hardware acceleration and it seems to have fixed the issue.