Anyone here an electrical engineer?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a basic understanding of a.c. and D.C. theory to do my job, but that is where it ends.
I don't mean to be harsh but I don't think you have demonstrated a basic understanding of "AC and DC theory". This is actually not a trivial thing. It requires quite a bit of study, no shame. But your question demonstrates a curiosity. This is excellent! You can build on this curiosity and learn.

Best and I hope you continue to learn.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't mean to be harsh but I don't think you have demonstrated a basic understanding of "AC and DC theory". This is actually not a trivial thing. It requires quite a bit of study, no shame. But your question demonstrates a curiosity. This is excellent! You can build on this curiosity and learn.

Best and I hope you continue to learn.
Okay, I'll give you that. I can figure out total resistance of series parallel circuits, and figure what power factor is in certain scenerios... i deal mainly with banking transformers, and that's where it ends.... they don't have diodes and trimmers on HV voltage lines. But, I'll get there some day. :) all in good fun.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The caps on input and output of a voltage reg are sometimes required for the reg to work properly.
I've seen V regs not regulate to the correct voltage if there was not enough capacitance on the output side.

There are lots of example circuits that show how to connect a 317, I'd go look at one.

I always test a regulator first, before connecting it to whatever it is going to power. To properly test it, you should be a load resister on the output that approximates what the actual current draw will be.

I'd probably put something higher than 16V on the radio (input) side of the reg, I think car batteries go over 13V, and I like a bit of margin on caps. More reliable and doesn't cost much more. I would get 20V minimum here.