Anybody know the status of the Android BI client?

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I search for Blue Iris in the Play Store I get nothing but 3rd party. Even BI Perspective returns nothing but garbage.

I have the genuine Perspective client installed on my phone. It's version 5.5.3.7. It works OK and would work for my friend.

It's nowhere to be found in the play store.

Was the client discontinued ?

TIA

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just did a search in the PlayStore and the first hit is from Perspective Software. I use the official BI app and it updates whenever Ken releases a new update.

Reaction score
I had the same problem but helpful BI staff explained why... The Perspective BI app now needs Android v8.0 or higher, and I was trying to install it on a lower spec model... So I recommend checking your Android version....

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had the same problem but helpful BI staff explained why... The Perspective BI app now needs Android v8.0 or higher, and I was trying to install it on a lower spec model... So I recommend checking your Android version....
I believe you are correct. Does this mean the older version is no longer available?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I believe you are correct. Does this mean the older version is no longer available?
I have it installed on an older tablet running Android 7, and it still works, I just tried it. But, I have no idea how to side load it now, as I don't have the API (or whatever).

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just did a search in the PlayStore and the first hit is from Perspective Software. I use the official BI app and it updates whenever Ken releases a new update.
It could be that the Play Store doesn't show apps that aren't compatible with the current OS.

I have a Nexus 6 that still works perfectly and the battery life is nothing short of astounding. I really hate to part with it but it looks like I have no choice. My bank has notified me that after Feb 17th my phone is no longer compatible and now this issue with BI. :facepalm:

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It could be that the Play Store doesn't show apps that aren't compatible with the current OS.

I have a Nexus 6 that still works perfectly and the battery life is nothing short of astounding. I really hate to part with it but it looks like I have no choice. My bank has notified me that after Feb 17th my phone is no longer compatible and now this issue with BI. :facepalm:
This is true. My Pixel 4 shows it in the Play Store, the tablet on 7 does not.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What kind of fuckery is that? Now the banks are going to tell us when we need new phones? Let me guess... "All in the name of security.."
The noose is slowly being tightened. Soon freedom will be nothing more than a distant memory. Personal choice will be a thing of the past. Change is inevitable, whether it's for the good or the bad only the Gods know.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The noose is slowly being tightened. Soon freedom will be nothing more than a distant memory. Personal choice will be a thing of the past. Change is inevitable, whether it's for the good or the bad only the Gods know.
What kind of fuckery is that? Now the banks are going to tell us when we need new phones? Let me guess... "All in the name of security.."
There are serious security flaws patched on android every month. I would not use a phone that does not have the latest updates. It is totally acceptable for a bank to protect itself from having to deal with fraud because your device is not secure. Your complaint should be with the phone manufacture for failing to provide long term security updates for android. Some, like Samsung and Google provide timely updates for a few years. Others like moto, alcatel etc dont give a crap.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There are serious security flaws patched on android every month. I would not use a phone that does not have the latest updates. It is totally acceptable for a bank to protect itself from having to deal with fraud because your device is not secure. Your complaint should be with the phone manufacture for failing to provide long term security updates for android. Some, like Samsung and Google provide timely updates for a few years. Others like moto, alcatel etc dont give a crap.
I don't blame the banks, I blame Google for not allowing older phones to be updated. This amounts to thievery as far as I'm concerned.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't blame the banks, I blame Google for not allowing older phones to be updated. This amounts to thievery as far as I'm concerned.
Well it depends on what they promised at the time of sale. You cannot expect them to update the phone in perpetuity unless they make that promise. For example on the older pixels like the 3-5 they are providing 3 years of security updates. For the new pixel six they promise 5 years of security updates.
If you want longer updates you will have to move to apple.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well it depends on what they promised at the time of sale. You cannot expect them to update the phone in perpetuity unless they make that promise. For example on the older pixels like the 3-5 they are providing 3 years of security updates. For the new pixel six they promise 5 years of security updates.
If you want longer updates you will have to move to apple.
Yea, I think i am going to move to Apple. Apple isn't perfect by any means but I'm ready for a different set of problems.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, talked to several folks that have their personal Android phones, but are forced to use Apple crap at work, and they HATE it.

I swore off of Apple anything years ago because of the way they hamstring app developers.

I was volunteered to help my step mom with her Ipad that her kids bought her, and I dread anytime I have to pick up that convoluted mess.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You have the same banking issues with iPhones so unless the bank approves the use of a particular version and subversion the banking app won’t work.

I used to help beta test iOS updates but would then frequently have issues with the banking apps so eventually stopped being an early tester.