Any way to set up a Hik/LTS NVR for graceful shutdown when running on UPS power?

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the LTS LTN8916-P16, and I'm wondering if anyone has set up a similar NVR for clean shutdown during a power outage--assuming you have a UPS with a contact closure signal.

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been wondering this about NVR's in general.

If they have a linux subsystem, then you may be able to install APC PowerChute Network Shutdown on them, and add UPS graceful shutdown support if they don't have it already.

Which then leads to questions about hacking your own NVR, if it doesn't already offer some way to access the internal OS via SSH or console login..

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's linux under the hood but I've not seen a whisper about installing your own software on it.

I've looked through all the alarm input settings and I don't see anything about using an alarm input to trigger power down. So, while you're advised to use a UPS, it looks like you just have to get a big one and hope the power comes back on before it runs out...

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, and if you have a fancy all-in-one DVR with RAID, your drive array can become corrupted if there is a power failure in the middle of a write operation.

This usually triggers a RAID consistency check when power is restored, which for a basic mirror may involve copying the entirety of one drive onto the other to fix the problem. Takes possibly days to complete with terabytes of storage.

The "well just don't let it turn off then! buy a backup generator if you have to!" argument is asinine. Controlled shutdown via UPS signalling is a normal feature of fully PC-based servers, and would be readily available if you use a PC hosted solution such as Blue Iris.

I would be interested to nose around and see how these NVRs boot (I expect it's via a linux boot image in flash media located on the NVR motherboard), but I am not interested enough to buy NVRs just to try hacking shell access on them.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's linux under the hood but I've not seen a whisper about installing your own software on it.
It is eLinux (embedded Linux), in common with so many devices these days.
To install your own software you would need a firmware version in which the tamper protection has been subverted and various other protection mechanisms removed.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is a hard power button on the front of the unit. The best thing I can think of for auto-shutdown is rigging a gizmo connected to a computer that knows when to "press" the button by closing a relay. That might be fun to build but I sure wish that feature was built in.