Another Ring Success Story

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The whole problem stems from manufacturers and the fact that they are in a bit of a catch 22 situation here. They want devices to be easily used by consumers so the tradeoff is weak/insecure default passwords that people are too lazy to change. They want to provide minimum support at little cost to themselves. Security cannot be stressed highly enough and people fail to understand the consequences until something bad happens to them. The first thing that any network device should really do is force you to change your password.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
More terrifying if it was me, and my daughter was young, is that apparently you can get very nearly the coordinates from the Neighbors app. So with all the creeps out there, your kids could go missing thanks to your "security prowess" and Amazon's lack of hiding GPS coordinates in Neighbors posts HTML.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More terrifying if it was me, and my daughter was young, is that apparently you can get very nearly the coordinates from the Neighbors app. So with all the creeps out there, your kids could go missing thanks to your "security prowess" and Amazon's lack of hiding GPS coordinates in Neighbors posts HTML.
"Examining the network traffic of the Neighbors app produced unexpected data, including hidden geographic coordinates that are connected to each post—latitude and longitude with up to six decimal points of precision, accurate enough to pinpoint roughly a square inch of ground. "

ref: Ring’s Hidden Data Let Us Map Amazon's Sprawling Home Surveillance Network

Reaction score
And in that same article when the GPS coordinates were "a nearby intersection" it was child's play to locate visual indicators (like a fence or tree visible in the image) from the intersection coordinate to pinpoint the house. So if you were creeping on some little kid, and had bad intentions, you could just wait for them to leave the house (headed to school or w.e), because you are already in the right location. F*cking creepy as h3ll. Glad my kids are grown ups and I found this place before I bought a Ring.

My wife instant messaged me this morning with the link in the first post. Her only question: can they access our cameras like this? First Answer: No honey, our cameras don't have two-way mics. :rofl: Real Answer: No honey, they are on a segregated network inside our home with no access to anywhere in the cloud.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
If NBC News needed a security correspondent, they should have sought advise from ipcamtalk, lol
It's very sad that people have been clinging to the Amazon ecosystem

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have to input your address in your setup and the neighbor's app I believe figures out Long Lat from that...so just put in an address a block or two away and still get the relevant neighbors app info for your area.
Also, other than maybe a special needs situation, why would anyone need a camera in your child's bedroom past infancy? Indoor \ bedroom cameras other than pointed at a potential entry area for security just seem creepy to me...or am I the only one who occasionally jaunts out to the kitchen naked for a late night snack? :idk:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The next news story will be about Alexa :rofl:

and

oh, and fb - that facebook app also is creepy.... mention something, see an ad on it shortly..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are the creeps able to view live video also? Like are they looking in on this little girls room?
It is possible.. there's a lot of security issues with any internet connected product.

Clearly the "low bar" for any "attacker" / "hijacker" is default or easy to guess passwords.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not cool. That parent might have never known if the creep had not talked.
As much as we rag on ring, this is not rings fault. Its the fault of the idiot parents that used the same credentials they used on another account that had been compromised and they further failed to enable two factor authentication.