Another laptop purchase help

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my work lap top again > i appreciated all the help in past!!

My question is can i still be under the 400.00 range , screen size 12-14inch, with touch screen? I am not seeing it , I remember last time you guys found some nice deals!! Has to be over 2.0hz And I3,I5, or I7

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I've also recently seen some good deals on woot.com

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah, they go really quick at the outlet...you gotta keep checking....just be weary of the ones with the crappy amd processors....but they have some really sweet deals.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What was the model in the first link?
The S230u is plenty to run the ids program for work?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i dont remember the model, it was a 14". The s230 is nice because it has a 24gb ssd for caching...unless you are planing on adding your own ssd (that's what i would do anyways as they are really cheap now).

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i purchased the Levono ThinkPad S230u. Can I swap my ssd Out of my acer travel mate 6293 into this unit?

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, you should be able to. Windows will probably require you to activate again but that usually is painless. You'll have more trouble getting all the necessary drivers installed :)

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'll have more trouble getting all the necessary drivers installed :)
That is what i was thinking! Right now with my ids program the Lt is freezing/ locking up , also doing it with IE. Not sure if its me jumping gun and being to fast with touch screen. I did see a message pop up about high system usage , I thought it was from Norton I was trying to get picture of it but i was to slow. .

Side note struggling with w8 . Like the size and touch was wondering if i can place 7 on it and keep touchscreen? I firgured the ssd will help it out

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
did you install classic shell? windows 8 will run and feel like 7. Wipe the ssd, clone the new drive to the ssd and pop it in.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't imagine using Windows 8 without Classic Shell.
Yup, i was going nuts...its a life saver. I installed it on an 8 machine in the office...the receptionist did not realize it was a new os...though it was the same as before but just a new system.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait 'til they open a picture and end up in the full-screen photos app and can't figure out how to get out of it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just changed the default apps for pictures and pdf's. Its no big deal. Windows 8 is more secure with secure boot, there is no reason to waste a ton of time to go back to an older os. I use it all the time with no issues.