Another Dahua PTZ install

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks guys, but it's hard to imagine that big new stations do not have megepixel PTZ's with crazy optical zoom already. Have you seen when they are in the chopper and zooming into events
on the ground?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well most choppers have $30k FLIR units on them too, they dont tend to put em use them for skyline shots during the news tho.. keeping a gimbal steady and vibration free while floating in the air is quite an engineering feat, you need gyros, motors way more accurate than our PTZ's and then a ton of basic isolation from the aircraft... Ive setup small units for small multirotors and it was quite a challenge to get it right but they are simple in comparison to what they have mounted under commercial helicopters.. tracking an object automatically from a moving platform at 50x zoom without a blurry ass video is some damn good work.

so when is Dahua gona start releasing some FLIR cameras? I might have to build that 100ft tall tower if they do.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have one dahua ptz on a lamp pole in upstate NY. I had to use an extension ladder to get on a roof, than from that roof, use a ladder to go up to another roof, than on the 2nd roof, ust the extension ladder to mount the ptz. It over looks the entire yard of an auto parts place. The guy could not believe what I did to get it up there.