Andy's HFW5231EP-Z12E no longer responsive...

cams4me

n3wb
Reaction score
Took the camera down and brought it into the house.
Connected it to a new copper cable and different port on my POE switch.
The camera is still totally unresponsive from the Pale Moon browser.
All other cams working great.
No water or any other signs of damage.
Been installed outside since Feb-ish with no issues prior.
Any ideas guys? Do you think Andy has any options for me?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you properly seal the connection? Water damage will not always be visible at the connection.

cams4me

n3wb
Reaction score
Connection is sealed. Used the powder coated boxes and installed up under the overhang using all the rubber grommets and such. It comes down easy when the bottom portion of the powder coated box unscrews and drops right off. Checked gasket included with the box and all looks as expected. Honestly no other ideas. Looked at it from the perspective of water damage but just not seeing it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Connection is sealed. Used the powder coated boxes and installed up under the overhang using all the rubber grommets and such. It comes down easy when the bottom portion of the powder coated box unscrews and drops right off. Checked gasket included with the box and all looks as expected. Honestly no other ideas. Looked at it from the perspective of water damage but just not seeing it.
The actual connection must be sealed. Not just placed in a box. Do the ir lights come on? Have you tried the 12v connection?

cams4me

n3wb
Reaction score
So does anybody know anybody that would repair these are are they just disposable devices? Florida gets crap tons of lightning daily over the summer. This ain't gonna end well with the wife if I am replacing these this frequently... sigh.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So does anybody know anybody that would repair these are are they just disposable devices? Florida gets crap tons of lightning daily over the summer. This ain't gonna end well with the wife if I am replacing these this frequently... sigh.
If the actual ethernet connection was not sealed its likely water/moisture damage despite the box and the overhang. You should use surge protection if lightening is a concern. Repairing the camera will cost more than replacing it.
This place does board level repairs
Macbook Repair in NYC | 347-552-2258 |
@l.a.rossmann is a member here but has not been here in a few years.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Can use USPS ship back to me, i will do the warranty, i think you just cost 30-40usd is fine. Sometimes dahua can replace a new one directly, :) I will ship back to you with our cost. Just send you a PM.

cams4me

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Andy. So guys - do not mean to sound like an idiot but guess I am... what is the recommended way to seal the poe ethernet connection at the camera? Also, I have CAT5E running back through the attic to my poe switches that are on a ups in the living room. I have the NVR on a different switch in the same location. What are some thoughts on surge protection as well? We have a whole house protection system from Florida Power and Light (not sure if it is a scam) attached to the house meter. Not sure what I would need to protect the cams or the switches. If this has already been documeted somewhere, I will gladly do the leg work - just direct me to the right place. Any help would be much appreciated. I love the system I have and want to protect it better.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Andy. So guys - do not mean to sound like an idiot but guess I am... what is the recommended way to seal the poe ethernet connection at the camera? Also, I have CAT5E running back through the attic to my poe switches that are on a ups in the living room. I have the NVR on a different switch in the same location. What are some thoughts on surge protection as well? We have a whole house protection system from Florida Power and Light (not sure if it is a scam) attached to the house meter. Not sure what I would need to protect the cams or the switches. If this has already been documeted somewhere, I will gladly do the leg work - just direct me to the right place. Any help would be much appreciated. I love the system I have and want to protect it better.
Correct water proofing: Di-electric grease just a dab on the male rj45 contacts before plugging in. Then wrap the whole connection with Coax Seal. Use drip loops so water does not follow the wire into a connection, junction box or the camera.

See some of @TonyR post's about surge protection. Search is in the top right corner.