Andy do you have a camera that has a better lense than the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E? all of mine start leaking and fogging up in a year or so

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Glass will last the longest in this UV exposure environment, followed by acrylic (but you gain a fair amount of break resistance by moving to acrylic), then the most vulnerable to UV (without any special coatings to extend that lifespan) is polycarbonate. The polycarbonate will be by far the most break resistant, but again, without added scratch and UV resistant coatings, it is the "softest", most easily scratched, and fastest to yellow and degrade with UV exposure.

BTMotorsports

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to update this thread, I received a sample lens and have a few irons in the fire at the moment. I have one source looking into the feasibility of a plain glass replacement and another looking at acrylic. We are also looking into poly with a UV coating. Pretty much, it's a waiting game at this point because the thickness of material is not common among my sources so some scrap or drops needs to be located to prototype with vs. ordering an entire sheet and hoping for the best. Once I can get some samples together, I'll look for a few people to volunteer to perform real world testing on the replacements.

Reaction score
The issue is the front glass lost transparent ? The black plastic not really effect the sealing. I will get some lens glasses to replace.
all five of my IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E cameras have the same issue, one of them is only 8 months old and the plastic turns yellow, the seal is compromised and they get moisture on the inside unclouding one that is only 8 months old.LPRM207 2022-11-10 11.30.00.282 AM.jpg
turret.jpg

the bottom is the turret and for some reason they remain crystal clear even the first one I got from Andy over 3 years ago but the bullet cameras have that lense defect in a short period of time. it starts with the seal becoming weak and letting moisture in, than the lenses turn yellow and the picture is foggy

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This has happened to a few of my Dahua cams as well. Had some water intrusion a few times in an old 2MP starlight -Z5 bullet. And significant yellowing on the front cover of a 2MP full color starlight bullet, although that one never got noticeable water inside it. Never had an issue with a turret yet.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had an older bullet leak, too. Pulled it apart, dried it out, replaced the desiccant and added a couple of extra bags, put it back together and used clear silicon seal on the face plate and around the joint where the front cover meets the body. No problems since and it's out in an exposed area, no overhangs protecting it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had an older bullet leak, too. Pulled it apart, dried it out, replaced the desiccant and added a couple of extra bags, put it back together and used clear silicon seal on the face plate and around the joint where the front cover meets the body. No problems since and it's out in an exposed area, no overhangs protecting it.
I did the same, minus replacing the desiccant since I did not have any extra, and I used hot glue to try to improve the seal. Of course water got in again in no time. So I repeated the whole process. Then it was fine after that. So far. It is in a much more sheltered location now so I don't expect more problems from that particular cam.

Reaction score
If it is moisture inside, look at the below thread on fixing it.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Jeez.....kind of amazing....even with a foggy cracked lens in the dark, it's still catching plates....crazy....
I just booted up 5231 #2 and copied over the fogged up cams settings onto #2. But now I'll have to take my paint concoction and Cam#2 back to work tomorrow, (too cold in Garage 36F) and at least darken the forward 1/2.
1668123117303.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If your in Naples you need a Hurricane box to house the cameras...with a continous dehumidifier...:)

Ohh good idea thoughon the vacuum pump. I have a vac pump for automotive....maybe i can pull the moisture out with that...

Last edited:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a small scrap pile from over the years of installing here if anyone is interested. There is a small box somewhere around here with all the guts too some of these cams. Most all have burnt out power boards. We should have a scrap yard section here on the forum. 5B6BE7F6-66AD-47EC-A24A-68F98C8E93A7.jpeg