Amazon Echo commands

Jonesy

n3wb
Reaction score
Doh...should have thought of that. Whenever the kids play outside I get flooded with email alerts

Radius9999

n3wb
Reaction score
Undocumented info...

After trying to get Alexa to discover Blue Iris, I finally figured out that you have to have the webserver active in Blue Iris. I don't use this feature, so it would never discover for me. Once I turned it on, presto, Alexa discovered Blue Iris. The port doesn't seem to matter... mine's on 89. (Don't use 86 though.)

Another thing, if you change the camera name, it seems you have to delete and then let Alexa rediscover Blue Iris in order to identify the camera.

I can't get mine to go full screen either. It does select the camera, but not in full screen.

randyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't get mine to go full screen either. It does select the camera, but not in full screen.
I could not get full screen from Alexa either. I tried launching a camera into full screen first, then telling Alexa to turn on (select) a different camera. But that merely selected the new camera in the background. I will probably email Ken with this feature/change request, if nobody pipes up with a work-around.

randy

ericv

n3wb
Reaction score
I could not get full screen from Alexa either. I tried launching a camera into full screen first, then telling Alexa to turn on (select) a different camera. But that merely selected the new camera in the background. I will probably email Ken with this feature/change request, if nobody pipes up with a work-around.

randy
I have this same issue. Can't figure it out.

smarty125

n3wb
Reaction score
On the individual camera options/general page "Amazon Echo Control:", use the drop down and select "Select". Then the command "Alexa turn camera1 on" will select that camera and bring it full screen. Use "Alexa turn camera1 off" to return to normal view.
Must be some other settings are also needed.... I can get Alexa to "select" the camera I ask for (that cam is then highlighted with a white box around it), but the camera doesn't go to full screen. When I tell Alexa to turn off the desired camera, I then lose the white highlighting box (so it does appear to select and deselect the camera...but not sure how to get the camera to go to full screen upon being selected).

ericv

n3wb
Reaction score
Must be some other settings are also needed.... I can get Alexa to "select" the camera I ask for (that cam is then highlighted with a white box around it), but the camera doesn't go to full screen. When I tell Alexa to turn off the desired camera, I then lose the white highlighting box (so it does appear to select and deselect the camera...but not sure how to get the camera to go to full screen upon being selected).
This is my exact issue. I contacted support and was told...

You can select the "solo selected camera" option ... it's a camera icon near the group selection box. For full screen, you would already have to have the all cameras window in full screen.
However, this didn't change anything and I already tried it.

smarty125

n3wb
Reaction score
This is my exact issue. I contacted support and was told...

However, this didn't change anything and I already tried it.
Thank for the tip. I just tried this and it indeed does work (the camera goes full screen when I say turn camera XXX on, and reverts back to the multi-camera view when I say turn off camera XXX).

....To clarify your tip, the camera should turn green when depressed....then things work...

ericv

n3wb
Reaction score
I just tried this and it indeed does work
Ok, so I wonder why it doesn't work for me...

When I say to turn on a camera it gets a white border, when i say off the border goes away. That's it.

smarty125

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so I wonder why it doesn't work for me...

When I say to turn on a camera it gets a white border, when i say off the border goes away. That's it.
Yep, mine did that....and only that until I pressed the camera icon (that turned, and stayed green) on the lower left of the multi-view screen.

smarty125

n3wb
Reaction score
How do you get it to turn green? Mine turns white. Doesn't go to full screen.
The camera icon on the lower left of your multi-view screen (when left clicked by your mouse) toggles between a green camera icon and white camera icon....

Radius9999

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera icon on the lower left of your multi-view screen (when left clicked by your mouse) toggles between a green camera icon and white camera icon....
I tried that. The camera icon is green, but Alexa only gives me the white border. When I mouse click on the pic it does go full screen, but Alexa's trigger doesn't. There must be another associated trigger that you have set that's directly connected to this. I do have the Amazon Echo Control set to "select".

bignose2

n3wb
Reaction score
Windows 10. Android

Hi,

I posted in March & still can't get Amazon Echo to discover BI. Tried on & off since then.
It simply does not find the Echo.
Followed instructions exactly many times, is not listed in Echo App or in BI.
Tried lots of setting in router, etc etc. Been lots of BI updates since.

I can see all my other devices in Echo.
I can see my phones etc listed in BI Mobile Devices but no echo.
All the same LAN etc etc. The BI is actually on a static IP & always had been.
Web server is ON as I use away from home. This PC is also set up with port forwarding, I have tried switching off the port forwarding briefly to test, I know unlikely to make a difference but been trying anything.
Toggled routers' uPNP with restarts in between.

Router is a TP-Link r470+, not that common as is a load balancing router (I don't use it as such now) but otherwise pretty standard.

Would like this to work to change profiles easily as I leave the house.

Any thoughts, I have tried everything mentioned in this thread.

iikingli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Windows 10. Android

Hi,

I posted in March & still can't get Amazon Echo to discover BI. Tried on & off since then.
It simply does not find the Echo.
Followed instructions exactly many times, is not listed in Echo App or in BI.
Tried lots of setting in router, etc etc. Been lots of BI updates since.

I can see all my other devices in Echo.
I can see my phones etc listed in BI Mobile Devices but no echo.
All the same LAN etc etc. The BI is actually on a static IP & always had been.
Web server is ON as I use away from home. This PC is also set up with port forwarding, I have tried switching off the port forwarding briefly to test, I know unlikely to make a difference but been trying anything.
Toggled routers' uPNP with restarts in between.

Router is a TP-Link r470+, not that common as is a load balancing router (I don't use it as such now) but otherwise pretty standard.

Would like this to work to change profiles easily as I leave the house.

Any thoughts, I have tried everything mentioned in this thread.

Good Day all Not sure if you had this fixed as I know its been a bit of time, but I was having very similar issues. Just wanted to throw what worked for me in here. I was running Oracle Virtual box on my machine as I do some testing for work at home. With that said for the life of me the Echo would not find blue Iris. I know from working on some other server projects that VMware Desktop or Oracle box nics get in the way of discovery (I assume anything that is adding virtual nics may cause an issue).

So just to be sure I uninstalled oracle virtual box, and on my first run after several hours of trouble shooting my Echo has found my BI instance. Only problem I have now is getting it to work with my Exacq as well (just joking). Anyhow thought I would try and help.

Last edited:

BudTugglie

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible to get a Blue Iris alert sent to an Echo? I'd like echo to say something or show a color when BI generates an alert.

Jay Seldon

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone manged to get Alexa to discover their cams using a BT hub? Alexa cannot seem to find mine - I have reset the hub, and manually attempted to add via the alexa.amazon website. The pc with BI on doesn;t have to be wifi enabled does it? Surely this will work via IP?

clickcosmo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Alexa does not seem able to find the BlueIris server. Is there a skill I need to enable? I tried enabling Wemo and Philips but they both ask for the devices in order to activate. Everything is in the same network, clicked on the Connect to Amazon Echo, but "couldnt find any devices" , not sure what the problem is...Thanks in advance!

hltljohn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No skill needed. The one thing that you must do is enable UPNP on your router before discovery. After BlueIris is discovered, you can disable UPNP on the router, it is not needed for the commands, only the discovery.

XOIIO

n3wb
Reaction score
So, I'm curious, has much progress been made to more custom commands with the amazon skill api, or are they still limiting it requiring using percentages to change profiles and whatnot?