Amazon Echo commands

Reaction score
The first entry in this thread has the full instructions on how to implement Amazon Echo. Select "Connect to Amazon Echo", then tell Alexa to "Discover".
Ok got it going, I had to reset the router, then it discovered the cameras

bignose2

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I can't get it to find Blue Iris at all,

Would really like this as the one thing in this otherwise really thought of everything software.. It is a pain to change profiles.
When leaving the house to..
start BI, use the rather fiddly scroll to select the server I want (I have 3) & the New server always gets selected in a rush
menu/settings
select profile
menu
log out
back
I know not that much but actually gets annoying, especially coming home from car with bags of stuff.

Don't like the geofensing in this situation perhaps is is a good option but with 2 people at different times and making sure connected correctly

Would be great to just talk to alexa, even coming in the door before alerts all triggers.

I suspect it is because it is via a different router, I have a few, but all on same subnet etc.
Pretty good a networking, have all sort that are fine on different routers, music systems etc. & they are always fussy.

I don't have Hue or WeMo but lots of lightwave stuff & Nest etc. I can't imagine but wonder if because I don't have Hue or WeMo it struggles to find
the BI PC to emulate.

Any ideas. Have restarted routers etc.

I suspect a very different project & number of issues (cross platform) but would be great for the Amazon echo to read out a prerecorded message on a BI alerts. I would think quite unsettling for a burglar to realise he has been rumbled with quite a lot of tech that surely has notified a number of people to his presence.
Of course might get angry and trash the place.

thanks I/A

hltljohn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lots of information in your post. If you follow the steps in the first post of this thread, what happens? When Alexa finds BlueIris, it adds a device named "Amazon Echo", did it add the device? You do not need to have Hue lights for it to work.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi, I can't get it to find Blue Iris at all,

Would really like this as the one thing in this otherwise really thought of everything software.. It is a pain to change profiles.
When leaving the house to..
start BI, use the rather fiddly scroll to select the server I want (I have 3) & the New server always gets selected in a rush
menu/settings
select profile
menu
log out
back
I know not that much but actually gets annoying, especially coming home from car with bags of stuff.

Don't like the geofensing in this situation perhaps is is a good option but with 2 people at different times and making sure connected correctly

Would be great to just talk to alexa, even coming in the door before alerts all triggers.

I suspect it is because it is via a different router, I have a few, but all on same subnet etc.
Pretty good a networking, have all sort that are fine on different routers, music systems etc. & they are always fussy.

I don't have Hue or WeMo but lots of lightwave stuff & Nest etc. I can't imagine but wonder if because I don't have Hue or WeMo it struggles to find
the BI PC to emulate.

Any ideas. Have restarted routers etc.

I suspect a very different project & number of issues (cross platform) but would be great for the Amazon echo to read out a prerecorded message on a BI alerts. I would think quite unsettling for a burglar to realise he has been rumbled with quite a lot of tech that surely has notified a number of people to his presence.
Of course might get angry and trash the place.

thanks I/A
dunno bout geofencing with the BI app but I use it with another app and it works perfect. If you don't mind settin up an easy to do software on a raspberri pi you can use a simple script that will: change to a certain profile when both phones leave the fence, or one phone enters the fence. Mine always works, it usually kicks in when I am less than a minute from the house, don't have to even think about it and never forget to change to the away profile. :)

bignose2

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, thanks,

I might give the geofencing more serious consideration.

Followed instructions exactly, many times.

Alexa (echo) does not find blue iris at all, just all my previous devices. I can clearly see my current list of all the devices I have.

I have had quite a lot of experience with Echo now with the lightwareRF stuff, many devices & groups, Nest & even broadlink Pro RM which is pretty tricky.

Thanks any way.

randyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Alexa (echo) does not find blue iris at all, just all my previous devices. I can clearly see my current list of all the devices I have.
Bignose2, by chance are you using an R7000 Netgear router? I ask because my Echo discovery does not find Blue Iris devices either. A friend of mine has the same router and her discovery does not find Blue Iris devices.

I have been in email contact with Ken about this, but as of yet nothing he has suggested has worked. So asking this question of you is just me looking for some kind of common denominator for failing Echo/BI discover actions.

randy

hltljohn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
randyh FYI, I am using a Netgear R7000 router, and my Echo Discovery does work with BlueIris.

randyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks hltljohn, that is good know that at least some systems can discover through an R7000.
Here are more details on my setup in case anyone notices a bad player.

Blue Iris Release 4.5.3.0 x64
BI Tools 1.1.4
Router: Netgear R7000, frmwre V1.0.4.30_1.1.67
Platform: Dell Inspiron 3847, Windows 10, i7-3.6GHz, 16GB memory
Hardware: Insteon HUB2-V04-20140904 | Ocelot | Secu-16 | Dahua & Noname Cameras |

Also running on same server:
Homeseer: HS3 Pro 3.0.0.297
Homeseer Plugins: Insteon 3.0.6.9 (mnsandler) | GTS CPUXA 3.5.16065.18 (bbowser) | Blue-Iris 3.0.21.28949 (beerygaz)

hltljohn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On your router, the attached devices page, can you see the IP address of your BlueIris computer, and your Echo? I could only identify my Echo by MAC address which I got from the Alexa App on my android phone. Router Firmware: V1.0.7.6_1.1.99

randyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On your router, the attached devices page, can you see the IP address of your BlueIris computer, and your Echo? I could only identify my Echo by MAC address which I got from the Alexa App on my android phone. Router Firmware: V1.0.7.6_1.1.99
Thanks again, hltljohn.

Yes, I see IP addresses for Blue Iris server and Echo and an Echo Dot among my attached devices.

Your R7000 firmware is newer than mine, but the same as my friend who is having the same issue as me.

These are some of the things I have tried:
  • Discovery with Windows Firewall off.
  • Turned UPnP in router off and back on.
  • Rebooted Router, BI Server
  • Turned off Homeseer skill (only other smarthome skill)
  • Told Echo via her Win App and IOS App to forget all smart home devices, then new Discovery. She re-finds my Homeseer devices but not Blue Iris. (Homeseer uses a Cloud site as opposed to Blue Iris emulating a LAN based Hue bridge.)
randy

hltljohn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to make sure, when Echo connects to BlueIris it shows up as "Hue Light". Also in BlueIris on the "Mobile Device" tab it adds a device with the name "Amazon Echo", I assume that neither of those things are showing up? I seem to remember that when I first tried to connect the Echo to BlueIris, I first connected to BlueIris with my android using the BlueIris app, then told BlueIris to "Connect to Amazon Echo". Don't know if it made any difference.

randyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just to make sure, when Echo connects to BlueIris it shows up as "Hue Light". Also in BlueIris on the "Mobile Device" tab it adds a device with the name "Amazon Echo", I assume that neither of those things are showing up? I seem to remember that when I first tried to connect the Echo to BlueIris, I first connected to BlueIris with my android using the BlueIris app, then told BlueIris to "Connect to Amazon Echo". Don't know if it made any difference.
Yes, those are the names I am watching for on Echo's found devices list and BI's Mobile Device tab. On the BI Mobile device tab, I do indeed see pairing to my Ipods and Windows tablets, with Geo Fencing status correctly indicated for the Ipod I have configured for monitoring.

I should also add, when the Echo integration feature was first released, I successfully paired to my Echo. After not using the feature for a while I deleted that pairing from the Mobile devices tab. After getting my Echo Dot the feature became useful to me and I have not been able to pair/Discover BI devices using Echo's Win App, IOS app or voice via Echo or Echo Dot since. Another poster on this thread had also deleted an Echo pairing and could not re-pair until after they rebooted their router (which I tried also).

TIM0089

n3wb
Reaction score
Will Amazon Echo integration work with the demo version? Amazon Echo is not able to find Blue Iris for me...

hltljohn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, those are the names I am watching for on Echo's found devices list and BI's Mobile Device tab. On the BI Mobile device tab, I do indeed see pairing to my Ipods and Windows tablets, with Geo Fencing status correctly indicated for the Ipod I have configured for monitoring.

I should also add, when the Echo integration feature was first released, I successfully paired to my Echo. After not using the feature for a while I deleted that pairing from the Mobile devices tab. After getting my Echo Dot the feature became useful to me and I have not been able to pair/Discover BI devices using Echo's Win App, IOS app or voice via Echo or Echo Dot since. Another poster on this thread had also deleted an Echo pairing and could not re-pair until after they rebooted their router (which I tried also).

Amazon Alexa and BlueIris. Initially when I tried "Connect to Amazon Echo" everything went fine. Stupidly I removed the device "Amazon Echo" from BlueIris. When I tried to connect it again, the echo could not detect BlueIris. Others have reported a similar problem. Today I got it to work when I updated BlueIris to 4.5.3.7 x64. After the update I tried to discover blueiris, and it worked fine. So, either the problem has been solved in 4.5.3.7, or just doing the update fixed the problem.

Clegg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have yet to be able to get this to work, I have 2 Dots, Wink, and a number of devices in my smart home setup already. I was curious if this was due to my router (its an R7000, but not running stock firmware, running Tomato USB by Shibby. I enabled uPNP for this detection, disabled the firewall on the BI box, Disabled secure Upnp on the router, etc... been trying a number of things. cant get the Echo to see BI.

Clegg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Magic of the IP Talk form has worked - I said I couldn't get it to work, then I tried it again just for kicks, and it worked :)

randyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you use this to stop email alerts when your home?
Jonesy, if you set profiles to have email alerts on/off, you can use Alexa to change profiles.

"Alexa, set Blue Iris to 10%" to set profile 1
"Alexa, set Blue Iris to 50%" to set profile 5
"Alexa, set Blue Iris to 100%" to resume the normal schedule