Am I buying the right cameras?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
search is your friend, there are more than 100 post of the reolink crap

The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com REOLINK

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In what sense does Reolink not work with Blue Iris? I'm looking through an RLC520A on my Blue Iris dashboard as I type this.
FYI - this has been covered also numerous times in threads here, search for Reolink in the title of threads for more detailed info.

arkiel

n3wb
Reaction score
FYI - this has been covered also numerous times in threads here, search for Reolink in the title of threads for more detailed info.
That isn't an answer to my question. Someone said "Reolink doesn't work with Blue Iris". I asked in what sense that was true, because I was looking through a Reolink camera feed on my Blue Iris dashboard. Reolink cameras appear to work with Blue Iris. So I don't understand if the original poster was using an old version of Blue Iris (because it not working with current Blue Iris appears objectively false, as I'm using my very own eyeballs) or if their standard for what 'working with' Blue Iris means is different from mine (which was what my question was meant to address).

Also, it would probably be worth someone's time to aggregate the Reolink concerns into a single post, because the current search only turns up self-references that make the whole Reolink thing look like echo-chamber reinforcement. It is far too difficult to find something approaching a solid complaint (variable bitrate causing issues with Blue Iris, for example) for what everyone on this board is treating as gospel.

Edit: For those trying to find a list of issues with the search engine: "reolink problems" "list of reolink issues" "reolink megathread" "why do people say reolink is bad"
Since this has produced some good results and the search function appears to default to a chronological per-post response that buries useful information three pages deep.

Last edited:

stevenjev

n3wb
Reaction score
That isn't an answer to my question. Someone said "Reolink doesn't work with Blue Iris". I asked in what sense that was true, because I was looking through a Reolink camera feed on my Blue Iris dashboard. Reolink cameras appear to work with Blue Iris. So I don't understand if the original poster was using an old version of Blue Iris (because it not working with current Blue Iris appears objectively false, as I'm using my very own eyeballs) or if their standard for what 'working with' Blue Iris means is different from mine (which was what my question was meant to address).

Also, it would probably be worth someone's time to aggregate the Reolink concerns into a single post, because the current search only turns up self-references that make the whole Reolink thing look like echo-chamber reinforcement. It is far too difficult to find something approaching a solid complaint (variable bitrate causing issues with Blue Iris, for example) for what everyone on this board is treating as gospel.
Speaking from my own personal experience (and I'll admit I am fairly new at this), I had two Reolink cameras set up in Blue Iris. Over time, the live view and saved recordings in Blue Iris from these cameras would start to have significant stuttering/ dropped frames. I tried multiple different settings in Blue Iris and the Reolink cameras - the issue would always eventually come back. The stuttering would even happen in Reolink's own apps. I have now switched cameras and the only setting I've changed is the video source (from the Reolink to the new camera, same ethernet cable) - problem hasn't come back. I don't doubt that your setup is working, I'm sure it is — but it wasn't working for me. Ultimately, having two brand new cameras be so hit and miss was incredibly disappointing and the main reason I switched.

arkiel

n3wb
Reaction score
That isn't an answer to my question. Someone said "Reolink doesn't work with Blue Iris". I asked in what sense that was true, because I was looking through a Reolink camera feed on my Blue Iris dashboard. Reolink cameras appear to work with Blue Iris. So I don't understand if the original poster was using an old version of Blue Iris or what, because their statement appears to be ob
Speaking from my own personal experience (and I'll admit I am fairly new at this), I had two Reolink cameras set up in Blue Iris. Over time, the live view and saved recordings in Blue Iris from these cameras would start to have significant stuttering/ dropped frames. I tried multiple different settings in Blue Iris and the Reolink cameras - the issue would always eventually come back. The stuttering would even happen in Reolink's own apps. I have now switched cameras and the only setting I've changed is the video source (from the Reolink to the new camera, same ethernet cable) - problem hasn't come back. I don't doubt that your setup is working, I'm sure it is — but it wasn't working for me. Ultimately, having two brand new cameras be so hit and miss was incredibly disappointing and the main reason I switched.
So what did you eventually switch to?

stevenjev

n3wb
Reaction score
That isn't an answer to my question. Someone said "Reolink doesn't work with Blue Iris". I asked in what sense that was true, because I was looking through a Reolink camera feed on my Blue Iris dashboard. Reolink cameras appear to work with Blue Iris. So I don't understand if the original poster was using an old version of Blue Iris or what, because their statement appears to be ob

So what did you eventually switch to?
Using an IPC-T5442T-ZE right now, so far quite happy with it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You say you're looking at a realo link right now. What exactly are you looking at, are you looking at someone after dark walking down a sidewalk and trying to id a face. This is where reao link will usually fail. if you're looking at a scene with no movement in the frame, that doesn't prove anything.

stevenjev

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, and that makes total sense, not sure why I didn't think of that beforehand. A lot of reviews on Youtube for example seem to completely miss that aspect. Unfortunately no one trying to break in to my vehicles has been kind enough to stand still and stare at my cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @arkiel

Members have reported numerous issues with Reolink ...

Since you like to have others help you out on this... a quick search for Reolink in the forum shows me a few I recall reading and posting about:

In this thread:

A few examples I have posted w/regards to image capture quality:
and

In thread:
Fenderman posts a list of issues

In a post in a long Reolink thread fenderman posted:
There are no positive to reolink. Hikvsion makes crappy cameras as well, you need to purchase the correct models. If you would, you would know how shitty reolink really is. Reolink does not make a single camera that is good in low light. Their firmware is utter shit not allowing for iframe interval adjustments making them incompatible with blue iris and other pc based vms.
I hope you are not using reolinks p2p or port forwarding their mobile app. If you have you likely have already been hacked. Most users here are not using any shitty apps by manufactures but rather a pc based vms.
I dont know why you think the hikvision app was banned. That is simply a false statement. If you want a pretty app buy a ring camera and suffer the consequences. Since you are using reolink you have already evidence that you prefer looks and price over function.
Dont forget reolink spammed this forum, lied about it, lied to their end users about the reason why they dont have iframe interval adjustments and they purposely have their cameras increase exposure to 1/12 at night to falsely suggest a clear night image but the result is a blur when the subject is moving.
I cover Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I think we can all agree that the image quality of Reolink cameras are total crap and should never be recommended for someone to buy. That being said, Arkiel is right and I don't understand why everyone is jumping all over him.

I too have a Reolink camera (RLC-410) that works just fine in BI. The quality is always going to be Reolink crap quality, but it "works" as expected without any stuttering or reliability issues. Anyone that says "Reolink cameras don't work with BI" is wrong. Reolink cameras CAN work just fine in BI. Arkiel and I are prime examples of that.

It's fine to say "Reolink cameras have terrible image quality and are not worth the money" or "Don't waste your money on Reolink cameras because of their image quality, especially at night". Or even that "some people experience reliability issues using Reolink cameras in BI". But that is different than making blanket (and false) statements that "Reolink cameras don't work in BI".

Words DO MATTER. Let's be concise and accurate with our statements.

Thanks,

Now to the OP, stevenjev,

I would definitely suggest replacing the cameras with some variation of the t5442 as you suggested. That being said, you linked to the variable zoom model and I would recommend the fixed focal length model for your use. The pictures that you posted of the Reolink cameras have a decent POV IMHO - meaning I think the focal length of those cameras is correct for your situation. I would suggest that you buy the fixed focal length of the t5442 series that matches the focal length of the existing Reolink cameras. The fixed focal lengths are sharper and have better low light performance than their variable focal length brethren. If you are going to set the variable focal length at 2.8, or 3.4 or 6 or any other size that is available in a fixed focal length model, then you would be better served in purchasing the fixed focal length model.

I would also agree that lowering the camera's mounting position would help. Personally I think putting them at railing height (probably mounted on the brick columns or the underside of the railing for the driveway cam) would work well, but play around with the positioning to see what works best.

Last edited:

stevenjev

n3wb
Reaction score
My statement should have said, my reolink cameras don't work in in BI. Apologies for the confusion here and appreciate the suggestions. I did end up lowering the mounting position as suggested a few times, and found it to be much improved.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
My statement should have said, my reolink cameras don't work in in BI. Apologies for the confusion here and appreciate the suggestions. I did end up lowering the mounting position as suggested a few times, and found it to be much improved.
My "rant" wasn't directed at you. You are obviously talking about your Reolink cameras. It was directed more towards all the people that posted that "Reolink cameras don't work in BI" as a solution for your issue (which isn't helpful at all) and then more alarmingly jumped on Arkiel when he said that that type of statement isn't accurate because Reolink cameras can work in BI.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Stevenjev,

No need to apologize... many members have reported issues with Reolink products.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My "rant" wasn't directed at you. You are obviously talking about your Reolink cameras. It was directed more towards all the people that posted that "Reolink cameras don't work in BI" as a solution for your issue (which isn't helpful at all) and then more alarmingly jumped on Arkiel when he said that that type of statement isn't accurate because Reolink cameras can work in BI.
HI @The Automation Guy

"Words DO MATTER. Let's be concise and accurate with our statements." - The Automation Guy

As do actions of the company, like Reolink

@fenderman has repeated posted numerous good reasons why Reolink as a company, and Reolink as products are poor options for people.

I've included shortcuts to a sampling of those posts, and you can dig some more and find additional first hand experiences of members who thought they were getting a much better product from Reolink due to Reolink's fraud to manipulated Amazon ratings, as well as ratings on Social Media sites and various review sites - including creating fake customer accounts which claim the products are better than they are.

I understand there are fanboys of Reolink - but once you start to look at the way the company promotes their products and start looking closer at the technical issues there are significant reasons NOT to like Reolink.

Again, here is an example of some of those deceptive Social Media posts by people who are blinded by Reolink:

Last edited: