Am I buying the right cameras?

stevenjev

n3wb
Reaction score
I made the mistake of buying Reolink cameras. And, of course, I've had nothing but problems with them. I've had enough (should have read this forum first, clearly) and am looking at replacing them. I've done my reading, looked at the Wiki and Wiki Cliff notes. I thiiiink I am ready to purchase, but I would rather not make a mistake again. Hoping someone can help!

Here are the two locations as shown from the Reolink cameras, both day and night. The Reolink cameras are the RCL-511 (5 MP).
Camera One - Driveway​
Camera Two - Front Porch​
Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 10.10.47 PM.png
tmpImage 2.jpg
My Camera 1 2021-01-14 10.12.08.712 PM.jpg
frontporch 2021-01-14 10.11.17.136 PM.jpg

A couple notes:
  • This is a rental property, so not comfortable running ethernet to a large number of cameras. As such, the two locations shown would be close to the max I could probably get away with.
  • For both cameras, detection is a must and recognition would be nice to have.
  • Running a Blue Iris setup on an i7-4790
  • Not looking for 4K cameras, thinking ~4-5mp would be good.
I've been leaning towards getting the IPC-T5442T-ZE camera for both locations. Does that seem like a good choice for my situation? I've also looked at the IPC-T5442TM-AS (but unsure if I need varifocus and it seems as though the ZE has upgraded AI?).
Otherwise, I've looked at the IPC-T5541H-AS-PV for at least the driveway, but have found less information about it than the other cameras.

Hopefully I'm not way off base here, thanks for the help!

stevenjev

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you not like about the current footage?
I actually don’t mind the current footage. But the my Reolink cameras don’t work with Blue Iris, and even in their own software I’m forced to restart them a least daily as I find they start to stutter in the recording/live view.

Edit: Changed "the" to "my" Reolink cameras.

Last edited:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting, they don't work at all? I'd be surprised if they don't work at all

Are you 100% sure its not a networking issue for the stuttering?

Not trying to dissuade you from buying new cameras, but there is a chance you "upgrade" and don't really get an upgrade, and your problem stays the same. Could be a bad wiring?

stevenjev

n3wb
Reaction score
I think just use IPC-T5443TM-AS is the best to go. Nearby watching no need motorized lens. IPC-T5541H-AS-PV , this one also ok, if you want a siren.
Appreciate it! Am I missing anything with the differences in the AI/detection (just looking at specification difference between IPC-T5443TM-AS and IPC-T5442T-ZE). Also, is the IPC-T5541H-AS-PV comparable for night images?

Interesting, they don't work at all? I'd be surprised if they don't work at all

Are you 100% sure its not a networking issue for the stuttering?

Not trying to dissuade you from buying new cameras, but there is a chance you "upgrade" and don't really get an upgrade, and your problem stays the same. Could be a bad wiring?
No, they do work, but I would like to have them integrated with Blue Iris and from everything I've read, Reolink cameras often do not work well with it and I experience pretty consistent stuttering. My problem definitely seemed to me like a network issue, however, I've tested the cameras with a short ethernet cable directly to my switch, same problem. I'm running a unifi system, and have tried a couple different things with the settings there, but haven't noticed a difference. In the Reolink app, they start out fine, but ill leave them running overnight and come back to pretty bad stuttering until I restart which is not ideal.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where are the cameras ran to - the router or a switch? Have you isolated the cameras from the internet?

As @IReallyLikePizza2 alludes to, sometimes it is a bandwidth issue due to an improper networking setup. However, Reolinks are known to suffer what you are experiencing, especially with BI.

EDIT: at same time you posted your setup...so yeah probably the Reolinks.

stevenjev

n3wb
Reaction score
Where are the cameras ran to - the router or a switch? Have you isolated the cameras from the internet?

As @IReallyLikePizza2 alludes to, sometimes it is a bandwidth issue due to an improper networking setup. However, Reolinks are known to suffer what you are experiencing, especially with BI.

EDIT: at same time you posted your setup...so yeah probably the Reolinks.
Yeah I guess the cameras are just junk, what a shame.
Yeah I've spend a good 30 days troubleshooting this setup. Started from scratch with a fresh Windows install even. Works at the beginning but I'm tired of waking up and finding the cameras stuttering. Its like they almost lock up, takes a minute to load the webpage for them to even restart the cameras.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
IPC-T5443TM-AS and IPC-T5442T-ZE). These 2 have the same nightvision(both are 1/1.8cmos), just lens difference, for the drive way maybe use a ZE, the another one use IPC-T5442TM-AS or IPC-T5541H-AS-PV

Also, is the IPC-T5541H-AS-PV comparable for night images? This one is normal, just it has siren and deterence function. If place has good light, this one can be a good choice too.

IpCam_User

n3wb
Reaction score
For the driveway, if you can do it, I might suggest the SD1A404XB-GNR 4MP 4X Zoom Starlight IR PTZ AI. I can say it has good night vision and works well.

There is also EmpireTech SD1A203T-GN IP Camera 2MP 3X Starlight IR PTZ/Amcrest ProHD 1080P PTZ Camera Outdoor (IP2M-866EW) {My understanding is they are virtually the same.}

While I normally am not a fan of wifi cameras nor would normally recommend them, in your case it may be worth considering:
EmpireTech SD1A203T-GN-W 2MP 3X Starlight IR PTZ Wi-Fi/Amcrest ProHD 1080P PTZ WiFi (IP2M-866W)

{Edit: I also have a SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card (SDSQQNR-256G-GN6IA) in my SD1A404XB-GNR for in case I lose connection to my NVR for any reason. Now days, I would almost always suggest putting in a microSD card in the camera as a backup to any other video recording system(s) as they are pretty cheap.}

{Edit Part Duex: From below, "Avoid WiFi, not reliable". ~ This is one of many reasons I normally would not recommend a wifi camera. if you setup a dedicated AP close enough to the camera the connection should be good. (i.e. UAP-IW-HD-US) The context behind me even mentioning it is 1) you said this was a rental. 2) you said running wires would be difficult However, as you already have a camera there the wires should already be run and one can avoid the wifi versions, which would be best if the wifi can be avoided.}

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I made the mistake of buying Reolink cameras. And, of course, I've had nothing but problems with them. I've had enough (should have read this forum first, clearly) and am looking at replacing them. I've done my reading, looked at the Wiki and Wiki Cliff notes. I thiiiink I am ready to purchase, but I would rather not make a mistake again. Hoping someone can help!

Here are the two locations as shown from the Reolink cameras, both day and night. The Reolink cameras are the RCL-511 (5 MP).
Camera One - Driveway​
Camera Two - Front Porch​
A couple notes:

• This is a rental property, so not comfortable running ethernet to a large number of cameras. As such, the two locations shown would be close to the max I could probably get away with.
  • For both cameras, detection is a must and recognition would be nice to have.
  • Running a Blue Iris setup on an i7-4790
  • Not looking for 4K cameras, thinking ~4-5mp would be good.
I've been leaning towards getting the IPC-T5442T-ZE camera for both locations. Does that seem like a good choice for my situation? I've also looked at the IPC-T5442TM-AS (but unsure if I need varifocus and it seems as though the ZE has upgraded AI?).
Otherwise, I've looked at the IPC-T5541H-AS-PV for at least the driveway, but have found less information about it than the other cameras.

Hopefully I'm not way off base here, thanks for the help!
Good to have you join us.

Double check your camera's positions, they seem a bit high to me to get a good facial ID.

Test with a friend wearing a cap and hoodie... perhaps adding a camera to the mix will work. Looks like you can run a cat6 cable under the railing to get a better view of the cars

Reaction score
I've had surprisingly good results with 2MP Starlight Turret Varifocal IP Camera (IPC-T2231T-ZS). It really lights up the night and has a very decent image at night.
If strong nighttime lighting isn't a necessity, I'd try out the 4MP Starlight Turret IP Camera in 2.8mm (PC-T2431T-AS – 2.8mm). It has almost as good lighting as the 2MP model but also has a microphone.

The 4MP model is probably the best bang for the buck at $83.99 in the store.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you like the 2231 try the 3241T-ZAS. Has a built in mic and performs better than the 2231 or the 5231, IMHO. A few more bucks, say around $135, but really good video that "pops".

stevenjev

n3wb
Reaction score
Good to have you join us.

Double check your camera's positions, they seem a bit high to me to get a good facial ID.

Test with a friend wearing a cap and hoodie... perhaps adding a camera to the mix will work. Looks like you can run a cat6 cable under the railing to get a better view of the cars
Thanks! So I picked up the IPC-T5442T-ZE and have it temporarily installed. I agree, I think its too high, but I'm not really sure where else to put it. Anything on the brick could be easily accessed (under 6ft). Any ideas? Here's the setup below:
Camera Position.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The likelihood that anyone notices them at 6 feet is minimal and in the very rare event if someone were to get that close to destroy them, well then you got a great image of their face! At the height yours is at, you are getting the top of their head. I am not aware of anyone here that has had them messed with at a reachable height. Sure we may see the occasional one on the internet, but you would be surprised how oblivious people are.

My neighbor has his 4 feet high and knock on wood (or the wood fence post he has them on LOL), have never been touched. Most do not even notice them.

He gets great video and images at that height. He is a corner lot and his fence along the side/backyard of his house is literally one step away from the public sidewalk and nobody has touched them. And he only catches the occasional someone notice them.

Last edited:

arkiel

n3wb
Reaction score
I actually don’t mind the current footage. But the Reolink cameras don’t work with Blue Iris, and even in their own software I’m forced to restart them a least daily as I find they start to stutter in the recording/live view.
In what sense does Reolink not work with Blue Iris? I'm looking through an RLC520A on my Blue Iris dashboard as I type this.