Aliexpress Chinese PTZ take2, POE/Power issue

Mars Bar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So after my last PTZ arrived without human tracking i got a refund.

I purchased another from another seller but this time an 8mp PTZ.

It has human tracking which works "sort of"

But the issue i have is it was meant to be POE, seller is confident it's POE but my hikvision NVR won't power it. So i used a power supply from some other 12v thing i had. It powered it up but now it wont tilt up or down unless its in full zoom. It is especially worse at night time when the IRs come on.
Is it a power issue or is the camera stuffed?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR probably isn't powerful enough to power it up. Most PTZs need POE+

The offbrands are notorious for requiring more power.

Sometimes you get what you pay for LOL.

That is probably how it was designed to operate :lmao:

I hope you are buying them cheap enough to be worth the trouble of buying and returning than just buying the one we all know works!

Mars Bar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The NVR probably isn't powerful enough to power it up. Most PTZs need POE+

The offbrands are notorious for requiring more power.

Sometimes you get what you pay for LOL.

That is probably how it was designed to operate :lmao:

I hope you are buying them cheap enough to be worth the trouble of buying and returning than just buying the one we all know works!

Paying about 300-$400 AUD but first one was refunded and I was able to keep it. Works great but just no human tracking, would be great to be able to load software onto it.
But anyway, do you think I should try a higher volt POE switch? Not sure what volt the powr supply is its currently running on.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since it is acting weird when you connect it to 12v, I am thinking it must be an issue with the camera and a higher POE switch probably would respond the same. I guess the thing to check is what is the amp requirement for the PTZ and did your 12v supply at least match or exceed that?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It may also be a proprietary version of PoE. Stop buying low end stuff. Buy name brands that are supported by the seller. The 49225, purchased from Andy at EmpireTech, comes with tracking, both human and vehicle. Purchase it from somewhere else and it won't have tracking. Stop chasing megapixels, watch the sensor size and bigger is better. An 8MP camera needs a 1/2" sensor to have good night vision. An 8MP on a 1/3" or 1/2.8" sensor will be basically blind at night.

Mars Bar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It may also be a proprietary version of PoE. Stop buying low end stuff. Buy name brands that are supported by the seller. The 49225, purchased from Andy at EmpireTech, comes with tracking, both human and vehicle. Purchase it from somewhere else and it won't have tracking. Stop chasing megapixels, watch the sensor size and bigger is better. An 8MP camera needs a 1/2" sensor to have good night vision. An 8MP on a 1/3" or 1/2.8" sensor will be basically blind at night.
This image quality is amazing at night.

Name brands are $1000 or more.

Mars Bar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since it is acting weird when you connect it to 12v, I am thinking it must be an issue with the camera and a higher POE switch probably would respond the same. I guess the thing to check is what is the amp requirement for the PTZ and did your 12v supply at least match or exceed that?
I will have to check the power supply, I also noticed when it pans the IRs go dimmer.

Is this what I need?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the image quality at night amazing still shots? What does it look like with motion at night? Can you post a little video clip of it in action at night with some motion - folks here are always looking for cheaper alternatives.

Yeah if the IR is going dimmer, that is certainly a sign that it doesn't get enough power.

The data sheet on the PTZ is probably iffy, but does it give a recommendation? I have seen some of the lower ends need 60 watts.

Mars Bar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the image quality at night amazing still shots? What does it look like with motion at night? Can you post a little video clip of it in action at night with some motion - folks here are always looking for cheaper alternatives.

This is the camera, there are different options. I got the 8MP x30 Zoom
AU $227.86 40%OFF | Auto Tracking Face Detection 8MP 4K 5MP Sony415 H.265+ 50X 36X Zoom 360° Rotation Audio Outdoor ONVIF POE PTZ IP CCTV Camera

Yeah if the IR is going dimmer, that is certainly a sign that it doesn't get enough power.

The data sheet on the PTZ is probably iffy, but does it give a recommendation? I have seen some of the lower ends need 60 watts.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
50X zoom wow!

Spec only says 12VDC or 48V POE, so hard to tell how much amps or watts you need.

Mars Bar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

50X zoom wow!

Spec only says 12VDC or 48V POE, so hard to tell how much amps or watts you need.
Mine is actually x38 zoom see photos of neighbour front gate at about 50meters away
50X zoom wow!

Photos of neighbours gate about 50meters away. They were originally 20MB photos but email cut them down to 2.5MB

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Still shots are meaningless. If you actually believe all the "specs" on that page I've got a nice bridge you can buy, six lanes in both directions and an automated toll both on one end.

5MP on a 1/2.8" sensor is useless at night, period, full stop, end of story. What is the shutter speed in your photos? 1/15, 1/20? Any motion will be a blur with a shutter speed any slower than 1/60, 16.66ms. That is the simple physics of the situation. It's interesting that they don't mention the Fstop of the lens which is critical, too, for good night performance. I also see it's WiFi, or at least it has an antenna stuck on it. Another sign of high quality for sure. I see it has a built in mic. How's the pan/tilt/zoom motors sound? Bet they sound nice on the audio channel.

You're overly concerned with megapixels and not concerned with quality when motion happens. The 49225 may be only 2MP, but it will easily outperform that camera and produce blur free video of motion in the dark, which that 5MP camera simply cannot do.

I wish you luck, but by the time you get done buying cheap camera after cheap camera you'll end up spending more than the 49225 costs and still not be able to get blur free motion at night.

See this thread for a big discussion of what an inexpensive camera really does to produce those nice still shots. Good luck -

Compiled by mat200 -

Mars Bar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Still shots are meaningless. If you actually believe all the "specs" on that page I've got a nice bridge you can buy, six lanes in both directions and an automated toll both on one end.

5MP on a 1/2.8" sensor is useless at night, period, full stop, end of story. What is the shutter speed in your photos? 1/15, 1/20? Any motion will be a blur with a shutter speed any slower than 1/60, 16.66ms. That is the simple physics of the situation. It's interesting that they don't mention the Fstop of the lens which is critical, too, for good night performance. I also see it's WiFi, or at least it has an antenna stuck on it. Another sign of high quality for sure. I see it has a built in mic. How's the pan/tilt/zoom motors sound? Bet they sound nice on the audio channel.

You're overly concerned with megapixels and not concerned with quality when motion happens. The 49225 may be only 2MP, but it will easily outperform that camera and produce blur free video of motion in the dark, which that 5MP camera simply cannot do.

I wish you luck, but by the time you get done buying cheap camera after cheap camera you'll end up spending more than the 49225 costs and still not be able to get blur free motion at night.

See this thread for a big discussion of what an inexpensive camera really does to produce those nice still shots. Good luck -

Compiled by mat200 -
Can you send me the link for the camera you're talking about?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score