Advice on installing new Dahua IPC-Color4K-T180 in existing DIY system

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello All!

It’s been 5 years since I added a Dahua DH-SD52C225U-HNI Mini Auto-Tracking PTZ to my outdoor home perimeter system consisting of a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93/p Tiny PC with Windows 10 64bit running Blue Iris Software 24/7 with a Zyxel ES1100-8P unmanaged switch, 2 x ACTi E32 bullet cameras and 1 x Hikvision DS-2XD2532F-IWS mini dome camera. BTW, I use a Power Injector to supply dedicated power via PoE+ to the Mini PTZ cam.

I just received a brand new Black Dahua IPC-Color4K-T180 today which came awesomely fast from Andy @ EmpireTech, thank you Andy!

Just turned 66 back in April and semi-retired so I have a bit of time on my hands to be looking at upgrading our home perimeter video surveillance system and after watching Wildcat_1’s YouTube videos on this camera I decided to take the plunge! I plan to replace the Mini Auto-Tracking PTZ with this new 4K color 180° camera as I get a lot of false alerts throughout the day and night even after having done quite a bit of tweaking when I first got the PTZ. We have a neighborhood block watch and almost everyone has a surveillance system, so I’m more into keeping an eye on our 2 vehicles that are parked in the driveway and 1 on the street. Right now this is the best wide angle FOV I can position the PTZ at .
IMG_1863.jpeg

If I had my way, I’d keep the Mini PTZ and use the IPC-Color4K-T180 as a spotter cam, but gotta keep the wife happy .

Wanted to get everyone’s advice on:
1. First time initialization of this 4K color camera. I read in a couple of threads that it needs a factory reset cause the ONVIF does not save the new password correctly.
2. I always try to get the camera up and running with the existing firmware it was shipped with. Haven’t opened the package yet, so any thoughts on this? I realize that this is a fairly new camera and that one or two firmware upgrades might be needed to get things right.
3. I have about a 70 foot run of CAT6 cable but I need to add a 6 foot run to get the new 4K 180° camera well positioned to get the optimum viewing angle. Will a CAT6 coupler like this one work?
4. I know ePTZ has not yet been implemented in Blue Iris. In the meantime I plan to create hotzones highlighting our vehicles to trigger alerts. Anything else I can implement in BI?
5. What size SD card would be best? Should I get the largest capacity the camera can handle (512gb)? Are the “endurance” sd cards the best for these type of new 4K cameras?
6. Is there an iPhone App that I can use with the in-camera ePTZ capabilities to generate push notifications and alerts?
7. Any other advice on something I may not have covered would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance to those who reply!!!

Last edited:

Peon Yu

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install an IPC-Color4K-T180, so it'd be good to hear how your set-up went.
I need to reset my IPC-Color4K-T180 because I can't see it in my router's list of connected devices and it's not showing up in the Dahua Config Tool.
Too bad your inquires didn't elicit any responses, but as you say, these are new cameras.

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello All!

It’s been 5 years since I added a Dahua DH-SD52C225U-HNI Mini Auto-Tracking PTZ to my outdoor home perimeter system consisting of a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93/p Tiny PC with Windows 10 64bit running Blue Iris Software 24/7 with a Zyxel ES1100-8P unmanaged switch, 2 x ACTi E32 bullet cameras and 1 x Hikvision DS-2XD2532F-IWS mini dome camera. BTW, I use a Power Injector to supply dedicated power via PoE+ to the Mini PTZ cam.

I just received a brand new Black Dahua IPC-Color4K-T180 today which came awesomely fast from Andy @ EmpireTech, thank you Andy!

Just turned 66 back in April and semi-retired so I have a bit of time on my hands to be looking at upgrading our home perimeter video surveillance system and after watching Wildcat_1’s YouTube videos on this camera I decided to take the plunge! I plan to replace the Mini Auto-Tracking PTZ with this new 4K color 180° camera as I get a lot of false alerts throughout the day and night even after having done quite a bit of tweaking when I first got the PTZ. We have a neighborhood block watch and almost everyone has a surveillance system, so I’m more into keeping an eye on our 2 vehicles that are parked in the driveway and 1 on the street. Right now this is the best wide angle FOV I can position the PTZ at .
View attachment 164405

If I had my way, I’d keep the Mini PTZ and use the IPC-Color4K-T180 as a spotter cam, but gotta keep the wife happy .

1. First time initialization of this 4K color camera. I read in a couple of threads that it needs a factory reset cause the ONVIF does not save the new password correctly.
2. I always try to get the camera up and running with the existing firmware it was shipped with. Haven’t opened the package yet, so any thoughts on this? I realize that this is a fairly new camera and that one or two firmware upgrades might be needed to get things right.
3. I have about a 70 foot run of CAT6 cable but I need to add a 6 foot run to get the new 4K 180° camera well positioned to get the optimum viewing angle. Will a CAT6 coupler like this one work?
4. I know ePTZ has not yet been implemented in Blue Iris. In the meantime I plan to create hotzones highlighting our vehicles to trigger alerts. Anything else I can implement in BI?
5. What size SD card would be best? Should I get the largest capacity the camera can handle (512gb)? Are the “endurance” sd cards the best for these type of new 4K cameras?
6. Is there an iPhone App that I can use with the in-camera ePTZ capabilities to generate push notifications and alerts?
7. Any other advice on something I may not have covered would be greatly appreciated!

I can’t comment on some of your points, but for a couple I can lend the experiences I have had:
#2. I never upgrade the firmware on a new camera, unless it is to correct a known problem or fix a security risk. When I got the camera a few months ago, I found (as another IPcam member has also related) an inherent flaw with the camera. Detection of a person or vehicle in the center of the camera’s view works great, but as you move to the sides, and especially the corners, IVS rules fail to work. I tried everything to fix it: turning sensitivity all the way up, redrawing tripwires and intrusion boxes, etc. Nothing helped. Finally I contacted Andy, and he sent me a link to the newest firmware, and I updated the camera; but even with the new firmware, still no success getting IVS to work on the sides. BTW, the firmware Andy sent me is: General_IPC-HX5(4)XXX-Taurus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V3.120.0000000.21.R.230418
#3. For one of the cameras I have in my yard overlooking a driveway, I connected the outside wiring (50’ run) to an inside bedroom phone line connection using a coupler like you have linked. The coupler links the two cables inside the wall. It works great. Only thing is that it sounds as if your coupler may be exposed to the elements. There are special couplers made for outdoor use.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello All!

View attachment 164405

Have you tried using the cameras ivs and pull those triggers to blue iris? Instrusion boxes and trip wires save a ton of false alerts. Also for alerts I recommend pushover

Peon Yu

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm waiting for a 512MB SD card from Sabrent that looks to be a very good deal: SABRENT Micro SD Card 512GB V30, SD Card UHS-I A2, Memory Card Micro SDXC, Class 10, U3, Full HD & 8K UHD Card, up to 100MB/s for Professional Photographers, videographers, Vloggers (SD-MQ30-512)

I'm on a Mac and most people here are on Windows, but I was surprised that Safari v16.3 (Ventura 13.2.1 on M2 MacBook) offers the same configuration options as Explorer without any kind of plugin—just use the camera IP address as an URL— at least as best as I can tell because I'm still working my way through the various settings using Andy's help videos:

(25) EmpireTech IPC-Color4K-T180 ePTZ setting up guide - YouTube
(25) IPC Color4K-T Web 5 0 Setting Up Guide - YouTube