ADD PoE Ports With External PoE Switch

Aurelio

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone, My current setup is 4 Hikvision IP Cameras connected to my NAS via a 4 port PoE Switch, I was thinking of getting a Hikvision 7604NI-K1/4P (4 Channel) could i connect my existing 4 Port PoE to expand the connections, I know i could buy an 8 Channel NVR but i'm trying to keep costs down as much as I can, cheers guys and girls and other species, hope you can help

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone, My current setup is 4 Hikvision IP Cameras connected to my NAS via a 4 port PoE Switch, I was thinking of getting a Hikvision 7604NI-K1/4P (4 Channel) could i connect my existing 4 Port PoE to expand the connections, I know i could buy an 8 Channel NVR but i'm trying to keep costs down as much as I can, cheers guys and girls and other species, hope you can help
Welcome @Aurelio

Hikvision and others are wise to us attempting to do that .. so no go .. as alastairstevenson states, NVR Channel spec = max number of channels ...

Perhaps a PC running VMS software would be more affordable for you?

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had success in testing a Hikvision NVR with connecting to the cameras on my network not connected to the POE ports on the NVR and ran everything from the one network port on the NVR.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had success in testing a Hikvision NVR with connecting to the cameras on my network not connected to the POE ports on the NVR and ran everything from the one network port on the NVR.
Yes you can do that, but it will only allow for a total of the number of channels the NVR is designed for. So with a 4 channel NVR, you can only have 4 cameras on it total whether that is 4 on the POE ports of the NVR or 4 on an external POE switch, or any combination between the NVR POE and external POE that adds to 4 cameras.

So if you only have 4 cameras and do not plan to add any more cameras, then yes you can do as you proposed.

I think others thought you meant add more cameras than the NVR is rated for.

Aurelio

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input/answers, as always more helpful than any manufacturers help files etc, without being cheesy, you're all awesome

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that's normal.
One or more, or even all, of the NVR PoE channels can be reconfigured to connect instead to cameras on the same network segment as the NVR LAN interface, if its something that's needed by the network wiring topology.
But it still doesn't allow more cameras to be connected than the maximum the model is specified to handle.