Access IP cameras over net when connected to LAN

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi I have 2 hikvision dis-2cd2032 cameras, when I connect them to my LAN I am able to access it via my pc's web browser. I do have a DDNS account, I have added the DDNS details to the camera DDNS page and it accepted it. What I am trying to do while my NAS box comes, is be able to access the camera over the Internet. When I try adding the camera to the HIK-online webpage it did not seem to work.

I Know I am missing something but cannot figure it out.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You would need to poke a hole in the firewall in your internet router in order to allow the external access. This is commonly known as 'port forwarding'. Best to do a google search to find out all about it.
But be aware, it's not without its risks, hackers could compromise your network.
DDNS is just a way to keep track of the IP address that your provider automatically assigns to you from their large pool of addresses, it can change with time, or when your router re-starts.
By itself it does not allow external access.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What would the secure way to access the camera be? I have noticed that ezviz is an option on the camera. Since that does not create a hole, would it be recommended?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't used Ezviz, so I can't offer any advice.
But let the community here know how you get on.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
EZVIZ is so unreliable, port forwarding is the best option, but remember use strong passwords and user names.