a great cheap IMX291 3MP camera

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For my own system I feel the same way, but this installation (NVR, cameras, power/switching box, cabling, labor) was a donation. Besides, the system has no connection to the Internet. Totally air-gapped.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Still pics do not tell the entire tale. How does a persons face look when moving through video.

I'd be extremely suspect of the listed specs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
More low end china crap that dies in a few months...

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
" Still pics do not tell the entire tale."
Yup, that's for sure.

"How does a persons face look when moving through video."
I haven't changed any of the cameras' default settings except 24hr color. Before I post any video I want to see the effect of cranking back on NR, etc, though even then I won't be sharing the faces of any of my neighbors.

"I'd be extremely suspect of the listed specs."
So was I but I couldn't pass up the chance to see the IMX291 sensor in action for just $38.

"More low end china crap that dies in a few months..."
Maybe. Maybe not. Certainly the plastics in the camera body will be challenged by the tropical conditions here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"More low end china crap that dies in a few months..."
Maybe. Maybe not. Certainly the plastics in the camera body will be challenged by the tropical conditions here.
there is more to a camera than the sensor, even if the sensor is as described...stable firmware is number 1. reliable hardware is number 2...typical low cost garbage that will die soon enough or freeze/reboot just at the event you need....why folks buy this garbage for surveillance is beyond me.

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"...why folks buy this garbage for surveillance is beyond me."

Yes, that's apparent. Perhaps you missed the part where I said I only buy listed Dahua products for myself, that this little system was a gift to a neighborhood association that couldn't afford even the 24" Samsung monitor that I included.

I made a point of not creating this thread in the Dahua or Hikvision forums, so ease up. If it's personal, then I suggest you start a GoFundMe page to buy them a proper Chinese-for-export system. Please make the goal at least $2,000.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"...why folks buy this garbage for surveillance is beyond me."

Yes, that's apparent. Perhaps you missed the part where I said I only buy listed Dahua products for myself, that this little system was a gift to a neighborhood association that couldn't afford even the 24" Samsung monitor that I included.

I made a point of not creating this thread in the Dahua or Hikvision forums, so ease up. If it's personal, then I suggest you start a GoFundMe page to buy them a proper Chinese-for-export system. Please make the goal at least $2,000.
yes, they cant afford a 24" monitor among themselves...why do they need the camera, there is nothing to protect...I made a point specifically to warn others of this crap...I will keep doing it..if you dont like it, start a go fund me page and build your own forum.
You tilted this post "a great"...why are you misleading folks? the camera is not great...you have no clue about how "great" this camera is.

claus10

n3wb
Reaction score
I just got a camera myself and not impressed. I can't login for one thing. There was no CD included either.

How do you login to the admin page? It says "downgrade browser to 44.0 or earlier" no matter if I use Chrome, Edge or FF.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Claus10. You must use the Microsoft IE browser or palemoon browser. Most other browsers prevent plugins for security reasons.
This has been a reoccurring issue in a number of posts.

claus10

n3wb
Reaction score
Claus10. You must use the Microsoft IE browser or palemoon browser. Most other browsers prevent plugins for security reasons.
This has been a reoccurring issue in a number of posts.
Thank you I got it working.

I'm really not impressed. I got two ip cams I got for $30 in 2013 still going strong. With a simple admin setup. This new camera is really a hassle to setup.

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Connecting directly to cameras via a browser was much easier in 2013. It's such a hassle now, I just use the latest version of CMS.

claus10

n3wb
Reaction score
And do you guys have any idea how I enable wifi on this camera?

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Version C1.0.10.54. I got it from CMS-Client - Network Camera

I can't be certain it's the latest, just the latest I could find. Gives me access to every option on the ONVIF cameras that I have used it with.

claus10

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine does. I finally found. Jesus. I've learned my lesson with this camera :D