A Few of My Security Cam Captures

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My choice to install security cameras began when I found the community trash bin in the alley behind my home filled with construction debris leaving no room to put my trash for the week. It happened several times, so I decided in early October 2018 to install an "Alley Cam."

Two days after installing it, my neighbor on the other side of the alley reported someone had stolen her bicycle.

Keeping in mind I knew nothing about optimizing camera installation and I had thrown together a simple Hikvision camera with all defaults, this capture of the thief riding away on her bicycle was a pretty decent capture....AlleyWest.20181023_000005_1.jpg

Unfortunately, it was not sufficient for the police to identify the guy.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On the side, in between properties, is a different situation. My neighbor, an admitted hoarder, has periodic visitors who seek to relieve him of some of his belongings. More than once, they start to hop the fence into his backyard, only to be dissuaded when they see the camera capturing their every move.

One example is these 2 young chaps:

WestSide.20190224_181453.jpg
WestSide.20190224_181520.jpg
WestSide.20190224_181529.jpg

And another:

WestSide.20190919_144333_1.jpg
WestSide.20190919_144358_1.jpg

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are lots of petty crimes I've captured on the cams. Last count the cams have led to at least 6 arrests. One of the most significant however, is this one. The camera is a Hikvision 8MP dome camera with 2.8 lens.

Hmmm .... I tried uploading the files, but I get an error each time. So I will link it from my OneDrive accoount. The capture starts out slow ... watch closely in the upper right.

Link here --> CarArson06-14-2019_033400.mp4

Basically, you have someone (never found) who throws a firebomb under a car parked on the street. The perp then jumps into the rear seat of a waiting car and drives unlit westbound. They later circle around and drive south, past the burning car. Then they reverse so they can park to watch the car burn for several minutes.

I later found there was a very similar car arson less than 1 mile away.

And 18 months later, another home just 5 houses to the east, suffered a similar car arson.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
There are lots of petty crimes I've captured on the cams. Last count the cams have led to at least 6 arrests. One of the most significant however, is this one. The camera is a Hikvision 8MP dome camera with 2.8 lens.

Hmmm .... I tried uploading the files, but I get an error each time. So I will link it from my OneDrive accoount. The capture starts out slow ... watch closely in the upper right.

Link here --> CarArson06-14-2019_033400.mp4

Basically, you have someone (never found) who throws a firebomb under a car parked on the street. The perp then jumps into the rear seat of a waiting car and drives unlit westbound. They later circle around and drive south, past the burning car. Then they reverse so they can park to watch the car burn for several minutes.

I later found there was a very similar car arson less than 1 mile away.

And 18 months later, another home just 5 houses to the east, suffered a similar car arson.
That is textbook behavior of an arsonist. I was a firefighter for 28 years. If we had a abandoned home, with no power connected to it that magically burst into flames, we would quickly observe the area for any cars parked a distance away, usually at a road intersection. Fire chief would have the sheriffs send 2 cars, one to come up behind the car and one to drive directly towards the car head on at the same time. If the car attempted to bolt, there was a 95% chance that the occupants of the car were the arsonists. Arsonists always return to the scene of the crime to watch their handy work. It is a mental illness.